Help m17x r4 upgrade GPU 980m

estionx

Hi, i have an m17x r4 with gtx680m, 8gb ram, ssd, standard monitor,bios stock 08, running WIN 7. Can i upgrade to a gtx980m easly ??? I read some that i need reflashing bios and modified drivers ??Some tutorial or manual ??? I´m from spain, but  there isnt much information in spanish.

34/5000

34/5000

Edited by estionx

Since you have the gtx680m are you sure that you have the standard monitor or the 120hz (3D) version? Because if you do I suggest upgrading to a gtx 1060 rather than gtx 980m.

If not and you want the gtx 980m then there are a few requirements.

You don't need the unlocked bios since the 980m supports both 60hz and 120hz screen, but you do need the newest version which is A12, you can download that from the official DELL website.

You'll need to upgrade your windows to either 8.1 or windows 10, windows 7 doesn't support uefi and you'll need to use GPT as your partition style.

And you'll have to modify the nvidia .inf which isn't too hard I guess

Yes, my monitor is standard 60hz 1080p, doesnt 3D. Ok, update the bios A12 and install win 10 on gpt partition are easy but what do i have modify .inf ?? Dont running the latest oficial drivers of nvidia web ???

and another question i need a 980m with g-sync or without g-sync ??

Edited by estionx

You need to modify the .inf because the alienware laptop doesn't officially support the gtx980m.

A guide can be found here: http://null-bin.blogspot.nl/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

And you don't need a 980m with g-sync. Your laptop screen doesn't have that feature.

4 hours ago, naightmehr said:

You need to modify the .inf because the alienware laptop doesn't officially support the gtx980m.

A guide can be found here: http://null-bin.blogspot.nl/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

And you don't need a 980m with g-sync. Your laptop screen doesn't have that feature.

Thanks so much !! The last questions, i need new heatsink or my actually 680m heatsink are compatible with 980m ?? and other, any shop,web or buyer good trust to buy the gtx ??

13 hours ago, estionx said:

Thanks so much !! The last questions, i need new heatsink or my actually 680m heatsink are compatible with 980m ?? and other, any shop,web or buyer good trust to buy the gtx ??

Good question actually, one I'm not too confident in answering, according to this topic: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m17x-r4-gtx980m-upgrade.766867/ you will need to get different screws but this might only apply for the 7970m version so I'm not sure if your current screws from the gtx 680m would fit the 980m. I guess you can ask a seller when you buy the 980m if they have any screws that'll fit.

• 4 years later...
On 1/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, naightmehr said:

Good question actually, one I'm not too confident in answering, according to this topic: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m17x-r4-gtx980m-upgrade.766867/ you will need to get different screws but this might only apply for the 7970m version so I'm not sure if your current screws from the gtx 680m would fit the 980m. I guess you can ask a seller when you buy the 980m if they have any screws that'll fit.

I have attempted this upgrade twice before for the 980m and both times it has failed with separate cards. I have assumed it was due to faulty cards as the Alienware would always crash after installing the .inf modified drivers, but the sellers assure me that the cards are checked prior to being sent. Is there anything I need to do beyond having an unlocked A15 bios, Windows 10 UEFI, and modified .inf files to make this upgrade work?