Chinese thermal pastes are bullshit

Recently, the temperature of the my laptop`s processor has risen to 100 degrees. I changed the thermal paste and the temperature fell down to 80 degrees. Thermal paste is the same - gd900. Before that I changed it half a year ago. According to many tests this thermal paste is the best that is on aliexpress.

As it turned out, it does not dry out, but damp. The entire gray filler squeezed out to the edges. On the chip there was only a transparent gel-like base, which does not conduct heat.

I talked about this topic in other forums, many people had the same problem. At temperatures above 70 degrees, this thermal paste turns into water. According to some data, mx-4 has the same properties. Do you have similar experience?

I used MX-4 quite a lot back in the days, and never had the problems u are describing with it. A good paste need's to stay liquid as much as possible but also keep it's proper form and stats.

So, in conclusion had no problems with mx-4, I can recomend also Grizly Kryonaut if u realy do not want to go with liquid metal.

Try to avoid chinesse thermal paste, because in most cases u will get vasseline rebranded into thermal paste for the money.

• 3 months later...

If you want good and fast in implement thermal paste you can use Ceramique 2, but I think the most efficent for standard use are the MX-2 and MX-4. For extreme efficiency you can use metal thermal compound like Conductonaut :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

yeah mainly you will get recommendations for MX4 from most users, its a solid paste that has worked well for everyone.

You could use liquid metal like mentioned but that requires good contact due to how fine it is and also protecting your parts just in case.

Grizzly kryonaught also mentioned is really good but its up to personal preference and can vary to system.

But yeah dont use aliexpress thermal paste due to how many resellers and trust.

also thermal paste to an extent does have expiry depending on may factors just because its good initiailly in tests doesnt mean it will last

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have used mx4, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut too, now i'm using some white low budget paste but not have other options. I'm very pleased with Grizzly, manage to low the temps on old lenovo z570 with 5-6 degress compare to mx4

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've used Arctic Silver as termal paste for 20 something years and step1/2 to clean prior and haven't had any issues. The key is to thoroughly remove contamination from previous thermal material and use a very small amount of paste

• 6 months later...

Used MX-4 for many years on OC hardware & Arctic Silver years before that. Can recommend. 

Would the ‘cooler master’ branded paste that came with my closed loop cooling rig also be considered unusable rubbish by the PCMR? I only use it for attaching thermocouples but have been tempted to try it out in an actual build. 

• 2 weeks later...