GT683DX upgrade CPU and GPU

mechguy

I'm looking for best possible CPU and GPU upgrade to my GT683DX notebook.  I noticed that the best CPU is the  i7-2920XM.  Is this correct?  And is it plug and play or would I need the unlocked bios to use it?

And is the 970m the best video card?

Thanks in advance!

After doing some digging around, I found most of my own answers.  GTX 980m is the best video card and i-7 2960xm is the best cpu for this notebook.

Upgrading to those two would cost me almost $600.  At that upgrade cost, I'm thinking it's better to just get a new gaming notebook.

• mechguy changed the title to GT683DX upgrade CPU and GPU
  • 1 year later...
On 12/24/2017 at 6:19 AM, mechguy said:

I'm looking for best possible CPU and GPU upgrade to my GT683DX notebook.  I noticed that the best CPU is the  i7-2920XM.  Is this correct?  And is it plug and play or would I need the unlocked bios to use it?

Hi mechguy!

Did you finally guess if a unlocked bios is necesary for a only CPU upgrade?

About CPU upgrading...A NVIDIA GTX675M from DELL like this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-M17X-R4-M18X-NVIDIA-Geforce-GTX675M-2GB-Video-Card-HXD3N-74W4GT/161884140859) will "be plug´n play" in a GT683R with a GTX560m? Will it need anything more than new thermal paste?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by arquillos
New info.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5.01.2019 at 19:07, arquillos said:

Cześć mechguy!

Czy w końcu domyślasz się, czy odblokowany bios jest niezbędny do uaktualnienia tylko procesora?

Informacje o ulepszaniu procesora ... NVIDIA GTX675M firmy DELL w ten sposób ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-M17X-R4-M18X-NVIDIA-Geforce-GTX675M-2GB-Video-Card-HXD3N- 74W4GT / 161884140859 ) będzie "być plug'n play" w GT683R z GTX560m? Czy będzie potrzebować czegoś więcej niż nowej pasty termicznej?

Z góry dziękuję!

NVIDIA GTX 675M from DELL works fine with the GT683 as plug and play, you only need to modify the driver to run at full performance.

• 8 months later...

Hi, guys.

I have GT683R now and want to make an upgrade too.
In my plans changing heatsink to GT60 (with GPU-to-CPU copper pipe) + 0.65A fan instead 0.36A stock + GTX 970M 6Gb (stock Clevo P770 version) + 2x8Gb 2133Mhz DDR3 HyperX Impact modules (ofc after unlocking BIOS) + CPU upgrade to 2820QM or 2860QM, because i dont want to abuse cooling system hard or overclock CPU.

And another moment - i have 16F2 mobo from GT680R and will try to replace HM67 to HM77. Will post separate topic about this ;) 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...