Gtx 1070 throttling issues

naightmehr

So recently I got my hands on a gtx 1070 but only since recently when I started playing more demanding games, e.g. Wolfenstein 2, Witcher 3, Gta V. I noticed that my fps just randomly drops and goes up again. So I began a quest to look for the cause of this, so I got my hands on furmark, gpu-z and msi afterburner to see what's going on and to my surprise the base clock of the gpu goes down by a lot, it sits around 800-980 while the base clock is located at about 1500, never goes there, according to gpu-z it's a power limit issue but I haven't got the slightest clue how to solve it. :-/

Things I've tried so far, but none worked

- same results with both the 330W and 240W power adapter

- try a different vbios

- set adapter warnings to disabled in the bios

- increasing the core voltage in MSI afterburner

- increasing the core clock in MSI afterburner

- Using the high performance mode in Windows and using maximum performance in the nvidia settings

Hopefully someone can help me.

Capture.JPG

gpu.jpg

Edited by naightmehr

I faced same problem when I installed gtx980m in to my m17x r4 but when I flashed unlocked bios and disabled Intel HD this problem gone and now gtx980m is giving a full output of performance. Also you should inspect the thermal paste and cooling pads. It may overheat in the are where is nivtheal sensor and throttle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi naightmehr,

You wouldn't think this would make much difference but try putting the laptop into hibernation, give it a few seconds and wake it up again. You might find the power throttling has gone. I've seen this a lot with m17x r4's and the 980m so the same might apply here. I've tried no end of vbios / driver combinations and never solved the problem other than using this hibernate workaround. My guess is its something between the EC and the VBIOS throttling the card, almost like its under the impression its running on a low wattage psu or something and not letting the gpu run at full power.

Jon

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/30/2017 at 1:10 AM, javers said:

Hi naightmehr,

You wouldn't think this would make much difference but try putting the laptop into hibernation, give it a few seconds and wake it up again. You might find the power throttling has gone. I've seen this a lot with m17x r4's and the 980m so the same might apply here. I've tried no end of vbios / driver combinations and never solved the problem other than using this hibernate workaround. My guess is its something between the EC and the VBIOS throttling the card, almost like its under the impression its running on a low wattage psu or something and not letting the gpu run at full power.

Jon

hope your way could solve the throttling problem with my 780m in m17xr3, which will drop to 324mhz as long as it goes to 78.C.