Modded nVidia driver - changes version number after installation + GPU issues

Hello!

I have joined the forums some time ago to learn about modding drivers for laptops and thanks to the community here I was able to upgrade my Dell M6700 with a GTX880m. This time I am stuck on a couple of GPU issues that seem to be corresponding to each other. Let me go through these things below.

I have upgraded the M6700 with a GTX970m - OS is working fine, all everyday tasks going great and by replacing the 880m with a newer card I gained some power and lowered the temperature of the system. In order to install drivers for this 970m (the other card too) I had to modify "nvdmi.inf" file and trick the driver installator to think, that my laptop was an Alienware. I have figured that out by trial and error. However, strange issues happen since the new card arrived:

- first of all, no matter which new driver is getting installed, after OS restart and some time, the screen flashes and comes back on - when going to NVIDIA Control Panel it shows that the driver installed is v.353.54 - it just changes the driver version as if it was stored somewhere in the OS. Of course each time I am performing a clean install with DDU

- secondly, from time to time when powered on, all I can see is a blurred image of the Windows' welcome screen, as if the resolution was changed to a super-low setting - a reset helps with that

- finally, the outcome of all this is that I can't run any game on the laptop for longer than 10-15 minutes. I have recently purchased Divinity 2 and it runs on its "ultra" settings, but the laptop just dies after a quarter and powers itself off, followed by a screen flash

Now I know that these might be various things in my system, but I have a feeling that it is GPU related and there might be something wrong with the drivers as previously (on the 880m) I was able to run games for as long as desired. And yes, I have already tried monitoring the temperatures, lowering in-game settings and even underclocking my CPU (i7 3940XM) - the CPU gets a bit hot if you ask me - up to around 90 degrees, but other than that, all seems fine.

Help!