GTX580m running at max on battery?

s1nn37

Hi all ive got a M17xR3 with the GTX580m and is there a way to get the full power of the GPU while on battery?

Also ive had a look at this Nvidia optimus technology and don't quite follow it :S can anyone explain it in simple terms please haha XD

M17xR3 Black

i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz

BIOS A09

4.00GB RAM

GTX 580M

You can't battery doesn't provide enough power

hey is this true can u confirm with facts? it's just i find it hard to believe that they would put a card in a laptop that wont ru on its battery?

I've also been doing tests with GPU monitor in AC mode the card runs at 8700v and when dropped into the battery it drops to 8000v along with the mhz? is this the throttling of the optimus?

thanks for answering DanXbix

The battery just can't provide a 100W GPU, 40W CPU, etc, with that much power... therefore the GPU and CPU downclocks itself. Of course it will run on battery, but not on full clocks.

Review Alienware M17x R3 GTX 580M i7-2820QM Notebook - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

Go to battery life and read.

thanks that clears that up XD

throttle stop can force the cpu to not throttle and its confirmed to work. Can speak of the gpu... I utilized Throttle Stops log function in M18x throttle thread under Throttlestop's threads. Under the log using overly high overclock and intel burn test on battery i saw a peak of atleast 150-170 watts and for too ling at the later it would shutdown. Dont play with fire this is dangerous if your force to high of a power draw be within reason using throttle stop on battery. Lithium batteries overly stressed can explode take this as a clear warning you can be seriously injured by a lithium battery pack explosion... I read about old Mac Books had a flaw a virus could cause the batteries to explode... :o

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
throttle stop can force the cpu to not throttle and its confirmed to work. Can speak of the gpu... I utilized Throttle Stops log function in M18x throttle thread under Throttlestop's threads. Under the log using overly high overclock and intel burn test on battery i saw a peak of atleast 150-170 watts and for too ling at the later it would shutdown. Dont play with fire this is dangerous if your force to high of a power draw be within reason using throttle stop on battery. Lithium batteries overly stressed can explode take this as a clear warning you can be seriously injured by a lithium battery pack explosion... I read about old Mac Books had a flaw a virus could cause the batteries to explode... :o

Like mw86 said, this is dangerous for the battery and I would not recommend doing it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think OP wants to push the card to AC speeds but more or less be able to slightly increase the output of the card to increase game performance, i have seen that the card performs pretty well while running on battery but a slight boost would make it capable of doing so much more!

• Thumbs Up 2

okay so i pose question to advanced users here can the OP benefit from a modded vbios that has whatever power profile that is set when it starts on battery can that be edited and flashed to force a slightly higher speed but not as high as AC speeds as Adam Noble mentioned... Its a good idea Adam... Seems if its just a small increase the draw should stay low enough but wont get near stock 3d clocks. Id be interested in using such a vbios :)

So OP says .80v On battery .87v on AC what are clocks like on battery. If clocks can be raised on the .80v then thats best bet but if needed maybe that profile needs to be set to something like .83v :)

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 2

okay so i pose question to advanced users here can the OP benefit from a modded vbios that has whatever power profile that is set when it starts on battery can that be edited and flashed to force a slightly higher speed but not as high as AC speeds as Adam Noble mentioned... Its a good idea Adam... Seems if its just a small increase the draw should stay low enough but wont get near stock 3d clocks. Id be interested in using such a vbios :)

So OP says .80v On battery .87v on AC what are clocks like on battery. If clocks can be raised on the .80v then thats best bet but if needed maybe that profile needs to be set to something like .83v :)

wow thanks for interest erm they run at 71mhz i think i will confirm later

XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just learning the current gen Nvidia gpus now @svl7 would you edit a vbios to have battery profile at .83v and maybe a 100-200mhz higher than its profile is for battery?

is this the one its going to on battery ?

core:73.5MHz

shader:147MHz

memory:162MHz

this is a higher up one in vbios

core:475MHz

shader:950MHz

memory:750MHz

can we make the 73.5mhz one like this

core: 225mhz

Shader 500mhz

mem: 325Mhz

using .83v or.84v? seems its not high on the clocks and using volt in between might give battery a chance but not make game unplayable :)

what do you suggest?

I'd use such a vbios too :)

@mw86 : I'll take a look at it asap, may take a few days. Let me know if I forget it. Dunno how well it will work on battery though...

thanks im try to figure with you guys so i agree to be cautious ILB hows this instead

core 150mhz

shader 300mhz

mem 250mhz

if stock .8v would work okay but what do you think will it require .81 or .82 for this new one? if it most likely will need the volt bump make it the .82 i guess... dont think this one would need .83v... let me know what you think and dont rush :) have fun our beasts will be here ;)

The easiest way is using GPU-Z, just click on the IC symbol on the right side of the "BIOS version" entry. Sometimes it gets corrupted though... but I should be able to check.

Ok, I hope I found the proper entries, I'm not really familiar with Nvidia VBIOS.

Changed the shader to 300 and mem to 250 as requested earlier by mw86. I didn't touch the voltage. Let me know how well it works.

As always, I don't take any responsibility for bricked systems. Flash at your own risk.

580m battery 150-300 mem250.zip

• Thumbs Up 1