Alienware M17X R4

After messing with my Toshiba Qosmio this is where the fun starts for me.

Hopefully someone else can also use some of this info for their own cooling mods.

So i got this M17x R4 with a broken screen.

I7 3610, 8 gigs ram, 7970M etc.

Colors were all 70s psycho (LCD panel was cracked)

Replaced almost the whole laptop with new parts, brand new 120hz screen, brand new 3920xm, almost new Gtx 880M Oem dell from an M18.

New SSD drive among other things.

The question presents itself, how to cool the thing down some more.

I took out the Cpu heatsink, added another Pipe. Turns out the ones i had was too short and fluid filled.

Had to use my biggest iron and solder it shut before using epoxy on it to be sure. 

gm7AcNr.jpg

sFRGObz.jpg

6oYg9JD.jpg

Grinded off some rough edges and smoothed out the transition where the fins are.

This Metal epoxy is doing an alright job transferring heat from the core pad to the fins aswell.

I thought about buying the M17x R5 4 pipe cpu heatsink on ebay and modify it to fit.

I wont dremel off the aluminum bracket (upper left in this image) to make the 4th pipe fit, because then the lower cover will be losing out on a clip.

I hate loose panels so will look into cutting the 4th pipe on the 4 pipe cooler just before it reaches the chassis.

As you can see in the picture i need to grind off a piece of the aluminum just over the inner bend to make the most out of the 4th pipe if i go that route later

4ydJLDG.jpg

And so to the GPU, there is hardly enough room to fit a pipe over these three. I ordered 10 or so packets of heatsinks and coolers from some small gaming notebooks, i will get this next month.

Im thinking a wide pipe that i bring to a friend of mine for flat machine pressing, or a cnc machined flat piece of aluminum over here. I dont think The ebay R5 - 5 pipe will work with the stock bottom as is.

C8NUu74.jpg

The GPU fan, i will buy a packet of small "P" gaskets and show you what i mean with forced cold air induction tomorrow.

Im not an engineer, but why add the hole under the keyboard. Hot air goes up not down.

On the Qosmio adding the gasket around the Fan and blocking the upper nonsense vent lowered the temps by quite a few degrees C

EHow1GU.jpg

And finally the gaps around the fins, there will be some of the same gasket here.

No need to waste precious airflow from this (in my mechanical world) puny fan.

dEzVVmW.jpg

In this image you can see the bracket covering the inner Pipe, so a straight flat pipe will do it or the machined piece im thinking about.

Also around the edges of the fins around 5 pct of the airflow is returning back into the case. And what the heck were they thinking when they made the heatsink fins naked at the bottom leaking hot air everywhere.

Even Toshiba knew they hat to cover it to keep air flowing the right way.. outside of the case.

-------------------------

To be continued

------------------------

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is good. I have had good temperature improvements (3-4 deg) simply letting the rear of the R4 sit an inch off the surface. This provides far more are in through the hole on the bottom. Nevertheless I still run at 81 degrees sometimes (680M).

Getting old, this notebook now! It's been a good workhorse.

• Thumbs Up 1