What is best for Gaming? 17" or 15"?

EDYMG17

Question

Hello Guys! I recently got subscribed into this Forum,

My name is EDY and I live in MEXICO, Close to USA Border...

I am an enthusiastic gamer, and also PC Technician, I like to get custom rigs to play games.

Lately I have been playing with 15 Inch Computers, my three last computers were 15 Inch. I am very conservative and somehow afraid to buy something it does not accomplish on my will.

My current rig is a CLEVO P750DM2-G: 1080p 120hz 5ms Screen, i7700K (OC to 4.6Ghz, GTX 1070 8GB (OC to 1800-1900mhz Core Speed), 32GB Kingston HyperX 2400Mhz RAM, and 500GB M.2 SSD from Samsung, so as X400 SSD 500GB and firecuda 1000GB HDD. ((MY TEMPS when gaming are: CPU 78c-83c and GPU 78c-80c, I delidded CPU and also applied CLU on heatsink for both))

I am willing to try a 17 Inch Computer for gaming, but my concerns are thermals, noise and portability, since I also use my Laptop at work like 8-10 Hours daily (light tasks as productivity).

(I am looking for P870KM1 Clevo Laptop as an Option since it has Desktop Processor, and from most of the 17 Inch Monsters this looks to be one of the most powerful ones, I am not interested on SLI GPUS at all).

My main goal is to get single GTX1080, but that I can get it also from EUROCOM TORNADO F5 with a great set of tweaks (including unlocked BIOS), so ending with this long chat, What is better Guys? Keep with the 15" Laptops or give the step to the 17" Ones??

Hope to have some recommendations, and thanks to all.

23 answers to this question

I would think it would be more of a preference as to the size of the laptop.  In some cases you have a bit more available when you have a bigger platform to work with.  As you said a single GTX1080 cards for larger platforms.  Myself, I have an older 18" Alienware which I got because I like the larger screen size and it has SLI graphics cards.  Mostly now though I have 2 external 24" monitors connected to it.  Your concerns with the noise, thermals and portability are valid.  From my experience my laptop can be quite a bit louder due to the additional graphics card specially when they are both screaming.  Temperatures obviously affect how fast and often the fans are going.  As far as the portability goes, I hauled my laptop to and from work every other day for 2 years.  In the end if your goal is to have that GTX1080 and the only place you can get it with a bigger platform then go for it.  Just make sure you end up getting what you want in the end when it comes to the screen and keyboard.

Hi Mictain, I appreciate your time to comment my post, and actually you have a point there.
I like gaming in my laptop (which is the first purpose which I look for a more capable rig), but since my time is spent most of the time at my office (gaming few hours on nights or weekends), Portability is somehow my concern, I mean just arriving at the office and place the laptop in my desk is not a big deal, but from time to time I need to travel to a different City.

Anyways, I might consider the Clevo P870KM1 Since it has a Z270 Chipset (possibly able to get future upgrades on newer components), also the GTX1080 and Vapor Chamber (optional from HID Evolution) Cooling solution.

I am not looking for 4K, but maybe jump from 1080p to 1440p anyways the laptop should be able to play 4k on external monitor or TV if required.

Thanks

If anything I think a larger laptop would have better thermals (assuming all components stay the same). Personally I'm a big fan of large laptops. I currently have a p670HP6-G and used to own a Dell m6600. I hauled the m6600 to school and back every day and it was never much of a problem for me.

Also, seeing how high on the component spectrum youre aiming, I don't know if that level of hardware comes packaged in anything less than a 17''. So I would say to go for it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Alchemyy,

I appreciate your comments, I do believe so, about the thermals on the bigger space.

At the beginning I ordered the EUROCOM TORNADO (But from HID Evolution) 15 Inches, with GTX 1080 GPU, I have processor and memory from my previous computer, also SSD, M.2 Drive and HDD...

But I was reconsidering the whole day, and next day I changed my mind, and decided to go for all... So Cancel previous order and re-order again, but this time the CLEVO P870KM1, Also with GTX1080 GPU, will use my CPU: Delidded I7700K,  my 32gb of Kingston HyperX Ram (2400mhz), so as my SSD 512GB, M.2 Samsung pro 960 500gb, and 1000gb firecuda HDD.

I am not familiar at all with 17.3 Systems, but I am willing to get adapted soon and embrace this change for good!

• Thumbs Up 1

I do too... In my P750DM2, Delidded CPU goes great, but Heatsink Contact with IHS is not the best, so temps play around: 80-93c up and down, I usually work at 4.5Ghz but sometimes move til 4.7 for testing purposes.

So I think in my new P870KM1 I will be able to test higher Clocks on this Delidded i7700k

And yes I hope to get used to size as soon as possible.

If portability is a concern, get a 15”. Hands down. I’ve used my 18” as a student some years ago, and it was a pain. It was less of a hassle when I worked, but I never thought that having a bigger laptop made things better within such context.

As for heat issues, larger laptops usually have better temperatures. Again, I don’t think a good 17” laptop will ever justify itself being picked over a 15” unit when there is constant portability factor involved.

It’ll only lead to physical health issues.

To be honest, your current unit seems good enough right now.

Also, I realize that this thread is quite dated now. I hope you came to a good decision.

17" VS 15" Pro's and Cons'

17"

PRO:

-better cooling

-bigger display

-full keyboard

CON'S:

-heavyer

-more expensive

15"

PRO:

-lighter

-more compact

-in most cases thiner

-less expensive

CON'S:

-not so good cooling solution

-no full keyboard (in most cases)

-more compact (could be a con aswell if it houses high performance parts)

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, GastStraus said:

My p150em (15") have full-sized keyboard and I do not feel any discomfort of the screen size. Also I often throw it into my backpack and it barely closes. 
A move to 17" would sharply reduce my mobility.

I have a P870DM, and feel no reduced mobility from a 5 KG Laptop.

I carried my 17" Alienware to work every day, and I really hated it. I never played games at work and it was just heavy and a pain to carry. I wish I had gotten a MacBook Air at the time. Having said that I probably wouldn't want less than 17" for games. I saw it less as a "laptop" and more of a portable gaming computer which is a lot more convenient to move and carry than a desktop and easy to set up for LAN parties etc.

I've had a 15'' so I've had a 17'' during my life. I wouldn't choose a 15'' for a primary system again - it's too small for FHD resolution. This is kind of Your preference but still as others said, there are pros and there are cons o 17''. Talking about FHD resolution again, it's easy to say You will work using an external display but what about times You will not? I don't want a 15'' for my primary notebook. If You consider choosing a secondary one, 15'' might be worth thinking of. Still, GTX 1080 and 15''? Would never consider such option.

The pros and cons post by runix is a very good summary.

I have a 5.5 Kg 17.3" laptop and I can tell you for carrying around it's quite a hassle. It's heavy and cumbersome and takes a lot of space in public transportation. I even had some back pains the first weeks due to the weight.

That said, for gaming I like it very much. Came to it from a 15.6" and the bigger screen was noticeably better, plus the better thermals and capacity for larger components (GTX 1080, though I think there are some 15.6" with 1080s now).

I didn't quite understand if you bought it already but if you already have a 1070 maybe you can consider waiting for the next generation of cards then jump straight to a 1180? It will be more bang for the buck specially since you already have a very powerful rig.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:19 PM, runix18 said:

17" VS 15" Pro's and Cons'

17"

PRO:

-better cooling

-bigger display

-full keyboard

CON'S:

-heavyer

-more expensive

15"

PRO:

-lighter

-more compact

-in most cases thiner

-less expensive

CON'S:

-not so good cooling solution

-no full keyboard (in most cases)

-more compact (could be a con as well if it houses high performance parts)

I agree with you. 17" is more expensive that's why I settle for 15" is less expensive and even lighter.

Manufacturers seem to be doing impressive things in small packages now (the razer blade comes to mind), but even so a GTX 1060 can't boost as high in small packages due to the thermals. Higher heat also decreases reliability/lifespan. Also, opening up some of these rigs for cleaning can be fairly annoying/difficult if you ever want to repaste, or clean fans (RAM and drives are usually accessible without much trouble)

If I wanted a 15 inch laptop I would first ask myself how much horsepower I need, then find some benchmarks. If that size laptop can do what I want with decent thermals then great, but if more power is required then I'd move up to a 17 inch model.

Also, the screen size does make a difference. I feel more absorbed by a 17 inch laptop than a 15 inch one simply from the display size.

Having gamed on both 15 and 17 inch laptops, go the 17 inch for sure!

the larger laptop will run cooler (less thermal throttling, longer life), cooler keyboard so your fingers don't overheat

But mainly because 17inch screen is already a compromise compared to desktop or big screen gaming

personally, weight is more important to me when it comes to portability... ie i would choose a 17inch laptop that weighs like a 15 inch laptop over a 15inch laptop that weighs like a 17incher.