Cleaning CPU before repasting

Hello All. I have a question:

I need to repaste my laptop. To clean the old thermal paste, i went to the pharmacy and bought an acohol solution with 78% alcoohol (highest content they had).

However, the same solution is also 2% salicilic acid. There are no other components in the solution (except 20% water). Can i usr it to clean the CPU anyway?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for IPA and some paper towel, cotton buds or just a piece of cloth. You may also use a toothpick to clean the grease around the die if there's any (goes off nicely) or the gaps in heatsink.

Also, if the grease is already so hard that it won't clean up easily, try to soften it with IPA first - spread some over the grease, wait a few minutes, and you're good to go.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use a paper towel first, grabbing most of the old thermal past, and then use a very little amount of ethyl alcohol into a good solid paper towel to pick up the rest, make sure you dont put too much alcohol, only 4 or 5 small drops are needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...