m18x White Screen - Alienware SUCKS

Erich86

There's absolutely nothing worse than the bitter regret of paying over 4 thousand dollars for a laptop that has been nothing but trouble from day one. I wish I could say that it brought joy, I wish I could use it like a normal laptop, you know, worry-free. I'll never buy another alienware in my life, never, ever.

When I first unboxed the laptop I was, indeed, happy. And then I turned it on and the problems started within the first boot. The screen went white and didn't come back, for a whole week I was unable to use my laptop. Not only that, but where I live they do not make m18x, so dell offered me zero support even though I paid for the top tier warranty. After a week of frustration and trying many different things, the screen showed up normally, except it would turn white if I even moved the lid an inch or entered any games.

After 5 months of suffering with this condition I decided I've had enough and decided to go to the US to get my laptop fixed. I crossed the Atlantic Ocean (by plane) travelling around 10.000 miles, and paid thousands of dollars for a month stay in a hotel. Dell Support was precise and quite quick, tech guys came over, replaced the screen (cables within) AND the motherboard. The problem was seemingly gone, and yes, I tested intensively during my stay on the US. Then I came home and everything was cool for another couple of months when the problem started happening again.

The problem started after the battery drained out and when I plug it in, the screen started going white again. I simply cannot spend this kind of money to get it fixed AGAIN, now it's going to stay like this forever.

Alienware was always a dream for me, and when I finally achieved it I was so happy. Now I absolutely hate it.

I spent months calling dell before I first got it fixed, so there was many things I tried. I tried factory resetting, formatting, installing newer drivers (yes I used driver sweeper), among other things.

Video I just made about the problem:

• Founder

Hi Erich,

Sorry to hear about your problems, I know it can be very frustrating when dealing with technical issues--we've all been down that road. First off, where are you located? Dell does have a global reach with respect to warranty so I'm surprised that your particular country doesn't have it. Secondly, based on the video, it looks like the display cable is not connected properly to the display itself (you'd have to remove the back cover of the display lid) or to the motherboard. Either that or the cable is physically broken and shorts out when you move the display. You may want to try opening the system to troubleshoot the problem yourself and if that doesn't work, try contacting @DellCares on twitter about your problems. If all else fails, I'll forward your case to someone I know at Dell that may be able to help (no promises though).

Edited by Brian

Thank you for the reply Brian,

Alienware m18x is built exclusively at US, CA & EU, that excludes everywhere else. Yes, we do have Dell here in Brazil but all they sell is m11x, ergo no parts for m18x, and that's the reason they refuse to help me. I'm immensely discontent with Dell and tired of it all. I've tried it all before the first fix, I opened every bit up and tighten all cables and put it all back together - with no luck. Then for the fix they replaced the motherboard AND the screen which apparently wasn't enough to fix it. Don't bother forwarding my case, all they going to tell me is that they'll try to escalate and stall me for months like it was last time when I was contacting an employee at Dell who promised he'd help me every way he can. It ended up that my only choice was to be physically present where m18x is fabricated.

Hands down the worst deal of my life.

• Founder

Hello fellow Brazilian! :)

Do you have the advanced warranty ??

I never serviced the m18x here in Brazil, but the M17x-R2 which also isn't produced or sold here was serviced just fine (video cards replacement).

Hey Michael! Yes I do have the global warranty, at the time they said, "Well sir, since we do NOT have the m18x screen for replacement we will not be providing you any service and we cannot help you any further." - Believe me, I spent months calling them and talked to at least two or three managers. They told me that the ONLY way was if Dell US sent the parts over here, which Dell US refused to do because there's no protocol on cases like mine, so they do not know how to proceed. At Dell US my case was escalated to the manager which stalled me for months by saying he was looking into it, he pretty much abandoned my case.

So, as you can see, I'm quite screwed.

• Founder
Hey Michael! Yes I do have the global warranty, at the time they said, "Well sir, since we do NOT have the m18x screen for replacement we will not be providing you any service and we cannot help you any further." - Believe me, I spent months calling them and talked to at least two or three managers. They told me that the ONLY way was if Dell US sent the parts over here, which Dell US refused to do because there's no protocol on cases like mine, so they do not know how to proceed. At Dell US my case was escalated to the manager which stalled me for months by saying he was looking into it, he pretty much abandoned my case.

So, as you can see, I'm quite screwed.

sounds like Brazil... :/ now i remembered you emailed me with questions regarding the support here...

well, i'd take Brian's advice and contact @Dellcares. They might be able to help.

when was the last time you contacted Dell support here in Brazil ?

Edited by Michael

• Founder

btw, i saw the video now and as brian mentioned already, you might be able to repair it yourself. It seems like the video cable isn't seated good.

Would u consider opening it up and trying to reseat the cable ?

I'd open it up, get to the cables, turn the laptop on and try to wiggle the cable, i bet you'll see that there's a position you can fix the cable where the screen stays ok even if you move it.

Just a thought....

I know, looks that way. But just to make a little clearer:

1) White screen issue started

1.2) Tried reformatting

1.3) Tried all kinds of drivers

1.4) Tried to open it up, reseat the cables

1.5) Open the whole thing and reseat ALL the cables

2) Went to a country where m18x was fabricated and got it fixed

3) White screen issue came back

I know it looks like an easy problem to fix, but it isn't, they swapped the motherboard and the screen for a new one and it wasn't enough to fix it (in the process the cables were swapped as well), so, there's something deeper than that. Probably something to do with the GPU.

• Founder

hmm, do you have a SLI/CF configuration ?

If so you could try the Video cards separately one by one (in the master slot of course) and see if that helps. If the problem is gone that you'll know which of the cards is causing the problem. Although i fail to see as scenario where moving the screen would affect the video card somehow. All symptoms point to a problematic cable. (power or video)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Erich, PM me your service tag + detailed info on when the problems started and what you did and I'll forward the information to people I know at dell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erich i hope Brians contact will be of assistance i would take the opportunity because this guy might not sayno and may send the needed parts i feel for you Erich in hopes you get resolution i hope you take up the offer of Brians. You are a valued member of Tech Inferno hang in there my friend atleast a hanful of use have had our share of failed equipment. good luck, im hoping for the very best possbile outcome for you.

If so you could try the Video cards separately one by one (in the master slot of course) and see if that helps. If the problem is gone that you'll know which of the cards is causing the problem. Although i fail to see as scenario where moving the screen would affect the video card somehow. All symptoms point to a problematic cable. (power or video)

that is as Erich said a great suggestion, i had tested my videocards at one point in a similar manner before my system was sent to repair depot. So additionally you boot with both gpus out and run off the internal Intel gpu on the cpu it automatically boots off it if the gpus are not in. So as mentioned if either 1 gpu in or no gpu's in shows no white screen you know the culprit as Michael said. Theres two two cables lcd related coming from the lcd, get entire system aprt to the gpus etc... then plug back in lcd cables while open, plug in hard drives again before lcd since they are removed to take of plam rest due to screws under them. Unscrew the power button two screws and plug it back in over right gpu while looking down at top of motherboard. No need to remove the fans since the gpus are only held by two screws. Be careful sli and crossfire connector is ultra delicate and has like 12 mini connectors or something but youve been in system so you have seen this. If sli/crossfire isnt in snuggly and flush so theres no gap between the metal connectors there will be issues. For testing the gpus and the internal gpu video out put do as above and then plug in unit being sure no distubance could be around you as all the electricalparts are exposed and vulnerable to static discharge as you also know. No need for wi-hd to be plugged in, no need for bluetooth, no need for media panel, and if your lucky and have a generic usb keyboard around you can plug that in and not have the internal keyboard on eith use a usb mouse and thats all you need plugged in to test. Good luck i hope its fixed easily.

Michael, thank you so much for having me try this out!

Turns out that by disabling CF it works fine, no problem what so ever! So, the problem was with the video cards all along (perhaps the crossfire connection?).

You mentioned you have dual 6970 ? Well so do I! Do you think they might exchange my cards here in Brazil?

• Founder
Michael, thank you so much for having me try this out!

Turns out that by disabling CF it works fine, no problem what so ever! So, the problem was with the video cards all along (perhaps the crossfire connection?).

You mentioned you have dual 6970 ? Well so do I! Do you think they might exchange my cards here in Brazil?

Cheers, glad it helped diagnose.

Well, now that you know the problem, i think it's easier.

I am not sure, but it's worth a try. Give them a call and try to make them do that.

If that doesn't work send your service tag to Brian, he might be able to help as he's in contact with some key personnel in Dell support.

After plain frustration and confusion I'm here to announce that there might be some new developments in finding the cause. I initially thought it was because of the crossfire and that by disabling it the problem would be gone, but I was wrong. In actuality the problem happens whenever I launch a real heavy game. So, games that makes full use of crossfire can and will make my GPU heat, causing the white screen. If it doesn't heat, no white screen. So, most games that use crossfire works fine with crossfire disabled.

To summarize, the problem happens when: I open a game that make the GPUs heat up. It does not happen with an external monitor, so it cannot be simply be the GPU by itself. Instead, there might be something to do with the connection from the GPU to the built-in screen. Something that was not replaced when they replaced both the motherboard and the screen. Perhaps by exchanging the GPUs and all cables involving it would be sufficient to fix the issue.

My warranty will end by June. I'm transferring it back to Brazil, though I have little hope of being given a consistent support. Apparently Dell did not calculate that foreigners would buy their top notch product.

Just as a side note, a little research and I found many people with the same problem as me. So, I'm guessing the first generation of Alienware is quite prone to be defective.

After plain frustration and confusion I'm here to announce that there might be some new developments in finding the cause. I initially thought it was because of the crossfire and that by disabling it the problem would be gone, but I was wrong. In actuality the problem happens whenever I launch a real heavy game. So, games that makes full use of crossfire can and will make my GPU heat, causing the white screen. If it doesn't heat, no white screen. So, most games that use crossfire works fine with crossfire disabled.

To summarize, the problem happens when: I open a game that make the GPUs heat up. It does not happen with an external monitor, so it cannot be simply be the GPU by itself. Instead, there might be something to do with the connection from the GPU to the built-in screen. Something that was not replaced when they replaced both the motherboard and the screen. Perhaps by exchanging the GPUs and all cables involving it would be sufficient to fix the issue.

My warranty will end by June. I'm transferring it back to Brazil, though I have little hope of being given a consistent support. Apparently Dell did not calculate that foreigners would buy their top notch product.

Just as a side note, a little research and I found many people with the same problem as me. So, I'm guessing the first generation of Alienware is quite prone to be defective.

i agree and i have had a lot of issues with my amd cards seems ive seen a lot of them die and my m18x had a 8beep boot problem that it was sent to repair for but they sent unit back damaged http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1476-argh-post18228.html#post18228 seems ive heard of them doing that a lot too