dGPU as Primary Display. "PEG Mode" does not work. Anyone?

Joseph

Has anyone succesfully set dGPU as a primary display?

I've tried the Primary Display in PEG mode but i get blank screen.

I've tried several combinations and end up with cmos reset everytime because of a blank screen.

Can't get the LCD screen to listen directly to the geforce.

-

Laptop:

GT70 0NE-452US - GTX680M

• Bios Modder
2 hours ago, Joseph said:

Has anyone succesfully set dGPU as a primary display?

It's impossible.  Because your laptop use Optimus technology. Optimus it's not only software in bios! It's also hardware. As you can see, LCD connected only to the Intel HD4000.

optimus_16.jpg

optimus_17.jpg

optimus_34.jpg

Edited by Klem
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi Klem and thanks for clarification, what differs in some Alienware laptops?

Like mine m18xR2 that can output trough dGPU or igfx or Optimus(selecting by bios), what's the difference here? vBios on gpu or physical things on gpu?

(because supported gpu like 970m 980m and all the old card goes well in dGPU/PEG, but gsync version need id microcode insert in bios as you made for me)

The lack of support  of LVDS on Nvidia's Pascal gpu, is a physical or software things?

info 
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/nxp-enables-all-in-one-and-standard-pcs-with-edp-to-lvds-bridge-ic-nasdaq-nxpi-1559543.htm
http://www.nxp.com/products/signal-chain-and-memory/high-speed-multiplexer/edp-to-lvds-bridge-ic:PTN3460BS
https://mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2004-June/008435.html

Edited by aaronloveweed
added strange link

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, aaronloveweed said:

what's the difference here? vBios on gpu or physical things on gpu?

Alienware m18xR2 use another way (hardware and software) for Display switch between iGPU and dGPU. Some MSI laptops model use the same method.

1 hour ago, aaronloveweed said:

The lack of support  of LVDS on Nvidia's Pascal gpu, is a physical or software things?

I don't know exactly, but i think that Nvidia's Pascal cards should be compatible with LVDS.

1 hour ago, Klem said:

Alienware m18xR2 use another way (hardware and software) for Display switch between iGPU and dGPU. Some MSI laptops model use the same method.

I don't know exactly, but i think that Nvidia's Pascal cards should be compatible with LVDS.

Pascal is compatible with LVDS,GTX 1060 works fine in GT70.

In both,with IVY and with Haswell CPU.

Edited by Bloetschkopf
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Bios Modder
14 minutes ago, Bloetschkopf said:

Pascal is compatible with LVDS,GTX 1060 works fine in GT70.

In both,with IVY and with Haswell CPU.

Ok. Thanks for your information.

keep it up. great info.

There are many laptops that do respond to dGPU by disabling internal graphics.

I've seen this in MSI laptops with amd cards here:

I do not have the GFX options like the msi GX70. But this video here got my attention even thou the menu options are way different.

Absolutely not inviting anyone to get into differences between radeon and geforce cards. Optimus is a different ball game.

But this dude is not using legal ways to get the radeon to work by any means. Is a workaround that seems to have that effect in the gx70.

Is not switching igpu off.

interesting workaround.

-

-

Edited by Joseph

For GT70 You must change nothing in Bios for GTX -060,but  I notice that You can change Displaymode in Bios.

Then You have a unlocked Bios,You need to Flash the latest Bios and EC Firmware.

This is E1762IMS.51X for non Raid and E1762IMS.71X for RAID.

This You need over the GTX 680M,with this the GTX 1060 works.

17 hours ago, Joseph said:

keep it up. great info.

There are many laptops that do respond to dGPU by disabling internal graphics.

I've seen this in MSI laptops with amd cards here:.. cutted..

I do not have the GFX options like the msi GX70. But this video here got my attention even thou the menu options are way different.

Absolutely not inviting anyone to get into differences between radeon and geforce cards. Optimus is a different ball game.

But this dude is not using legal ways to get the radeon to work by any means. Is a workaround that seems to have that effect in the gx70.

Is not switching igpu off.

interesting workaround.

-

-

Looking at comment (via google translate one by one) seems this method was not working anymore because MSI's new bioses doesn't support it anymore (many people are looking for older bios in comment)

16 hours ago, Klem said:

You can try to use this solution:

https://community.dell.com/thread/6037

Thanks Klem, already try when I received the 970m, non-flex support is always disabled (did you remeber I ask to you to insert the G-sync version of 970m that was not booting in dGPU/PEG mode, when all world say me I was wrong? At the end..then all worked in right way thanks to you)

11 hours ago, Bloetschkopf said:

For GT70 You must change nothing in Bios for GTX -060,but  I notice that You can change Displaymode in Bios.

Then You have a unlocked Bios,You need to Flash the latest Bios and EC Firmware.

This is E1762IMS.51X for non Raid and E1762IMS.71X for RAID.

This You need over the GTX 680M,with this the GTX 1060 works.

Here my bios screenshot if someone willing to help me:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B19x9i4YLERSbUVUbEpNU2VNUUU

Edited by aaronloveweed

18 minutes ago, aaronloveweed said:

Looking at comment (via google translate one by one) seems this method was not working anymore because MSI's new bioses doesn't support it anymore

Could this be accomplished with another GTX model+custom vbios combination?

my bios is as older as it can get (for gt70) my revision is .50T/2012. Older than this?... wow

Sometimes i get the impression that Nvidia came up with Optimus just to piss everybody off. 

The other thing i don't get is, why do they bother hard coding the chipset tab in Bios, if the options are useless?

It wasn't difficult to unlock. But it took a lot of reading an research to get to that supposed "magic place" Chipset tab. And now PEG mode is useless?. What a crack of s#it is this Bios. Total waste of my time.

-

-

Edited by Joseph

On the right notes next to the "primary display option" they should have written instead of "please select Auto,IGFX,PEG,PCI"

#WE are glad you got this far. Please disable your internal graphics to activate the hidden animated gif of the chewbacca laughing mom).

-

47 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Could this be accomplished with another GTX model+custom vbios combination?

my bios is as older as it can get (for gt70) my revision is .50T/2012. Older than this?... wow

Sometimes i get the impression that Nvidia came up with Optimus just to piss everybody off. 

The other thing i don't get is, why do they bother hard coding the chipset tab in Bios, if the options are useless?

It wasn't difficult to unlock. But it took a lot of reading an research to get to that supposed "magic place" Chipset tab. And now PEG mode is useless?. What a crack of s#it is this Bios. Total waste of my time.

-

-

MSI is the most compatible Notebookplattform,You doesn't need a unlock Bios for GPU Upgrade.

In GT70 works all Cards without Problems,in Ixybridge based GT70 You only need the newest Bios and EC-Firmware.

Flash the newest Bios and EC,if the GPU doesn't start with Screen it's not a Problem of the GT70.

Bloetschkopf, sorry if i didn't get it right. I'm still wrapping my ahead around your bios update suggestion.

How will i switch the IGFX off with the new bios?.

I'm confused.

My previous question was: Can PEG mode work maybe with another vbios?

Or maybe another card?

-

Edited by Joseph

• 2 months later...

The unlocked bios will - as it suggests Unlock features for your complete control and satisfaction........... 

Primarily the satisifacation part of it. 

Sorry for the spelling the old steelseries keyboard isn't what it once was, an is starting to give up on me, the LED's just died last night too.. so i'm typing in the DARK. :D DL:

(must make a post to see if someone has a link to a genuine new JP spec Keyboard...) and ribbon cable for the power/acc pannel))