Solder missing RAM-holdings on the mainboard

Hello,

my HP 8770w was sold with a Dualcore-CPU. I am now using an i7 3920XM, but there are missing two RAM-holdings on this mainboard (Many manufactures leave them out on dualcore MBs :pirate: ). The 4-RAM-MB is too expensive just for this approach. So I tried to solder the missing RAM-Holdings on the Mainboard by hand: RAM-Solder.jpg

But the Laptop does not boot, if I add a RAM to the new holding (Same behaviour as like booting without any RAM). The Laptop still works, if I left the new holding empty.

QUESTION: Is it possible, that a 3-RAM-configuration principally does not work and I will have to add the 4th module? Have anyone here successfully expanded the number of RAM-holdings?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you went over every 2 pins and checked for continuity in them?

Also, the socket plastic seems melted, not everybody can do it, is not hard I guess but is not something everybody can do it.

Last thing... could there be a custom bios required/custom bios options to unlock both banks of memory or maybe some small resistors/capacitors around that are missing as well?

• 1 month later...

The plastic is a bit melted, because I used too high temperature with the fan :angel:  But this is only at the surface, the pins look OK. I tested against shortcuts using an ohmmeter and none of the pins is loose. Which does off-curse not mean, that the electrical connection is OK...

I don't think, it's the BIOS - the System does not start, if there is a RAM in the holding, so it gets principally recognized.

I will need extreme fine equipment when I try this again :D