Alienware 17 R5 downgrade issues / kernel power crash

nagelzz

Hi guys

I've had great luck with some help from your clever minds in the past, and i hope someone here has a good idea for this issue aswell. If not, thanks for stopping by :D
I work at a PC Repair shop, and I'm helping yet another customer with a GFX upgrade, but I'm encountering some issues.

While we are waiting for the GTX 980 in the mail, that we want to install, I am installing a GTX 770M in the customers PC while waiting for the other one. 
Here's where I'm stumped.

So. GTX 770M is a native card in these models and it installs driver fine and runs well. However, when the computer gets on standby or goes to low power mode (with the screen off), it crashes without BSOD, just shuts off.

I can see in the event viewer that the computer has crashed with a Code 41 - Kernel Power Error.

I did get a BSOD once, and debugging it in Windbg pointed to iaStorAV.sys (the Intel Rapid Storage drivers). 
I've tried several versions of IRST, installing in AHCI mode, removing the SSD mSATA cache drive and so many other things. 
   I dont know what to go for now. Should i try a VBIOS update on the card? It works flawlessly when stresstesting and harddrives have no errors either.

I really hope someone have a great idea or if i should just declare the SATA controller on the motherboard defective?

It must be some low-power S3 standby or whatever thats causing it. (I'm not a total genius as you can read, but i have picked up a lot of things in my time :D)

Thanks once again

*Forgot to add, the previously assembled GFX was a GTX 780M, that completely burned out

Regards

Marc 

Edited by nagelzz
forgetful :D

• 1 month later...