How to get a GTX 1060 up and running in p170EM with windows 10????

EriannMX

recently got a cheap MSI GTX 1060 for my P170EM (yay!). I followed steps presented by user over at NBR but currently I'm stuck i nthe drivers installation step.

I don't really get the grasp of how to properly modify the INI files of the drivers. After several tries I managed to install the drivers on Safe Mode, but that didn't work once I got into Normal Mode.

The user at NBR has it up and running on the same machine using Windows 7, and has kindly shared his INI file for some old drivers. But before I give up and format the computer and roll back to windows 7, I would like to know if any of you know how I can install the drivers in Windows 10.

@Prema has also one up and running as I have a read on a P150EM, so I just need to find out what I am doing wrong....

Edited by EriannMX

I have found win10 to be very problematic on optimus machines (dGPU never powers off throwing away the entire point of optimus, frame rate capped to screen refresh rate, if iGPU and dGPU have displays connected the iGPU goes error 43). You'd be better off on win7 anyway unless you need DX12 very badly.

Edited by Khenglish

15 hours ago, Ferrouswogg said:

first did you properly mod the driver??

I believe disable driver signing enforcement

I believe frame rate cap tweak which stops that problem!

and you might need bios & possible vbios update @prema @svl7 @klem

1.- That's why I'm writing. I don't know if I did or not. I changed all 11A0.7102 entries into 1C60.7102 (11A0 was the 680m card that was originally built for the EM series). This is what the user at NBR did for his windows 7 machine and it worked. I also tried using the modded nv_dispi file from Laptopvideo2go. No avail.

2.- I did disable driver signing enforcement.

3.- I have Prema bios. No @Prema VBios for 1060 exists.

If you looked in device manager at your display adapters properties to make sure you have correct numbers (just checking)

I believe you use nvcvi.inf for clevo and if that is the case! Open nvcvi.inf in the display folder scroll down to this

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] win 7

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.2] win 8

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3] win 8.1

find the 1c60 row then copy and paste this under your OS or you could do all OS

%NVIDIA_DEV.1C60.7102.1558% = Section119, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C60&SUBSYS_71021558 

then head down to the [Strings] at the bottom

copy n paste this

NVIDIA_DEV.1C60.7102.1558 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060"

make sure latest nvidia driver downloaded fresh and ready to mod!!!

I hope I got that right good luck!!!

display.JPG

12 hours ago, Ferrouswogg said:

Ah!!!! crud!!! Windows 10 duh edit 1 for you just to make sure

Windows 10 driver inf version 381.78 if you have clevo

extract and drop it in the display folder

sorry about that:whistle:

nvcvi.zip

Thanks so much for the effort, I would love to try it, but unfortunately while trying to troubleshoot what was wrong, I fucked up my computer by bricking the BIOS.... I'll post a new thread about that (it depresses me so much...)