eGPU shutdown underload

Ricky

Hey guys,

i have just build my eGPU set up,

-2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13″

-Akitio Thunder 2

-Zotax GTX 1060 Mini

-450 PSU

I installed everything perfectyly and everything works both in Mac OSX and Windows 10 Bootcamp, after 2 days of using it without major issue(other than succesfully booting up), today something weird happend. While i was playing CSGO(Less than 1 hour), i hear some flickering sound, it was weird but i choose to ignore it, then after a while the CSGO stopped suddenly. I ran it back and it continue without any problem.

After playing i intend to check my GPU by testing the Unigen Heaven benchmark, while testing for about 5 minutes, i hear more flickering sound, my GPU fans spins weirdly, sometimes it spin very fast, sometimes normal and vice versa and suddenly it all stopped. My egpu fans shuts off and windows cant detect my external gpu hence benchmark was stopped.

i restart my mac and run the benchmark again, after a while the eGPU turns itself off again. I then thought it was some benchmark issue, then i play H1Z1, also around 5 minutes, my eGPU turns off again. The last two days, my eGPU has never turned itself off, and it was very stable, no matter what load i give it, it will run perfectly fine.

Anybody can shed some light?

Thanks

Edited by Ricky

So i have not tried using the afterburner, but sometimes the eGPU would just work smoothly with no issue at all. And sometimes it would turn off by itself in both OSX and Windows

So... try it in windows? If its what I say it could be just when the gpu starts demanding more juice, and would make sense to happen in both win and osx.

On afterburner choose in settings your egpu, put the power limit to 85 instead of 100 - don't change anything else -  and play for some time or make some stress tests with some benchmarks.

On 4/21/2017 at 2:16 AM, dnkei said:

So... try it in windows? If its what I say it could be just when the gpu starts demanding more juice, and would make sense to happen in both win and osx.

On afterburner choose in settings your egpu, put the power limit to 85 instead of 100 - don't change anything else -  and play for some time or make some stress tests with some benchmarks.

I tried using msi but still after a few minutes the fan speed up and eGPU is disconnected 

Hmmm sounds like it could be overheating, you could check how the temperatures rise and compare it to other people's cards? Maybe it can be hardware related (damaged card) or your case isn't ventilated enough? Its probably turning off so it doesn't burn itself as a safety measure. 

20 minutes ago, dnkei said:

Hmmm sounds like it could be overheating, you could check how the temperatures rise and compare it to other people's cards? Maybe it can be hardware related (damaged card) or your case isn't ventilated enough? Its probably turning off so it doesn't burn itself as a safety measure. 

I doubt it is overheating, because i just ran heaven for 3 minutes and it disconnected, and fan is normal, temp is below 55. Before disconnecting, the fan would ramp itself to max and then disconnects. 

On 4/24/2017 at 2:05 PM, dnkei said:

could you try the gpu on a normal pc? It might have something to do with your akitio box setup? At least to rule out a damaged gpu card...

I have tried it, and it worked perfectly fine with no issue, even after giving it a 1 hour stress test it still works well

I think it has something to do with my power delivery for the akitio box, i read online that i can use a pcie riser(with power), and i do not need to power my box because the adapter already gives the power? Is that true?

I just solved a similar issue with my old Akitio T2 using a GTX 970. Every time I'd load the unit up with a game or unigine, the computer would crash. Ended up being high resistance in the molex-to-barrel harness where I'd soldered the joins. 

Are you using the stock power pack for the akitio or have you put a molex-to-barrel in? 

3 hours ago, Irons324 said:

I just solved a similar issue with my old Akitio T2 using a GTX 970. Every time I'd load the unit up with a game or unigine, the computer would crash. Ended up being high resistance in the molex-to-barrel harness where I'd soldered the joins. 

Are you using the stock power pack for the akitio or have you put a molex-to-barrel in? 

I used molex to barrel adapter. First i use molex adapter to 2.1 x 5.5 then another barrel adapter to 2.5 x 5.5 so that it can fit. So are you saying my adapter is not good? What could i do to fix it?

image.jpg

I'm not saying it's not good, just that mine wasn't. Wiggle those connections when it's on and see if you can simulate the problem. 

The crackling sounds you're hearing before crash definitely sounds like a power issue, once the card draws/wants more power and can't get it it will go into panic and restart the computer. 

How have you hot-wired the psu? 

Edited by Irons324

20 hours ago, Ricky said:

I think it has something to do with my power delivery for the akitio box, i read online that i can use a pcie riser(with power), and i do not need to power my box because the adapter already gives the power? Is that true?

I don't know much about powered risers, but every post I've read with people saying they're going to use one has been told not to do so. 

You should be able to run the set up the way you have it configured. 

Double check all connections and make sure they're clean and tight, get some canned air and blow out connections to make sure there's no dust/dirt in any ports. Dust where it shouldn't be can cause all sorts of headache. 

5 hours ago, Irons324 said:

I'm not saying it's not good, just that mine wasn't. Wiggle those connections when it's on and see if you can simulate the problem. 

The crackling sounds you're hearing before crash definitely sounds like a power issue, once the card draws/wants more power and can't get it it will go into panic and restart the computer. 

How have you hot-wired the psu? 

When i wiggle the connection, sometimes the akitio turns off. I use the normal paper clip trick. So i need to get a new barrel connection to solve the issue right?

so i should change my adapter to solve the issue?

That's more than likely your issue. If there's not a solid connection there when the aikito draws full power it will drop out, which makes sense with your symptoms. 

Heres what I did:

1) use the barrel plug off the akitio power pack! Cut it off with a decent length of cable to use to join it. It's a coax style cable, so bare back the outer insulation about 5 or so cm and twist the outer braid into a 'wire' and bare back the white wire. The white is + and the twisted braid is earth. 

2) test which wires are supplying the correct voltage for the akitio. I think it's 5v but check before you do anything else. Go to an auto parts store and buy some "red bullet connectors" and connect the white wire from the barrel plug to the 5v + from the connector you have and the twisted outer cable to ground. 

3) voila! Done. You now have a solid power connection. I found the barrel connectors you buy don't fit neat, which is why you're having problems.