MSI GTX 1070 MXM successfully working on Alienware M17X R4 (another socket victory against BGA crap)

An0npl4y

8 hours ago, BludBubbles said:

I keep getting BSOD and OSOD and just hard shutdowns. I'm not really sure what's going on and haven't done extensive testing but Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition and Grand Theft Auto V seem to run fine and run good with a little overclocking. But, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Ghost Recon, and Need for Speed games, among others, cause OSOD and hard shutdowns. Anybody have a nice driver they could share that would work well for this M17x-R4. You would think that since we're all using the same laptop that the one driver that works for you will probably work for me. I've tried two different modified drivers. 416 and 441. I've stress tested for hours with FurMark and FireStrike and temps have only gotten as high as 81C. I have a 330w PSU so I don't think that that's the issue. Any guesses?

I think the card is broken i have hard shutdowns as well with my gtx 980m also tryed it at 2 other systems (m15x and m18x) but all the same .......R56 gets really hot on the Graphics card and than shuts down..........seems like a defect to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply. I figured it out. For me, it was this brand new PSU that I got to go with the upgrade. They said it was OEM and 330w but changing back to my older one solved everything. Maybe this new one is defective or something but I will buy one directly from Dell if I can and see what happens. It's not crashing any more and everything seems to be running well on the old one. Also, my rig is somewhat unusual as everybody else here seems to have Optimus and integrated graphics disabled and using the 120Hz screen but not me. I wish I could figure out why I can't disable integrated graphics and why this new display won't work. I tried again after discovering that this new PSU isn't working correctly and still the same outcome of 8 beeps. Even trying to have an external display connected with the HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter would still get the beeps after disabling integrated graphics in the BIOS. There are a few other quirks that I'd like to work out but that's the major one. Another one is I think nVidia Control Panel isn't affecting anything. I think disabling Intel graphics and installing the new screen would solve this issue, if I could figure out how. At least I've learned how to modify those driver files and can mod the newest ones to install on my system but the settings don't seem to be taking. Intel Graphics Properties vsync works so I don't know...

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:55 AM, BludBubbles said:

Sorry it took so long to reply. I figured it out. For me, it was this brand new PSU that I got to go with the upgrade. They said it was OEM and 330w but changing back to my older one solved everything. Maybe this new one is defective or something but I will buy one directly from Dell if I can and see what happens. It's not crashing any more and everything seems to be running well on the old one. Also, my rig is somewhat unusual as everybody else here seems to have Optimus and integrated graphics disabled and using the 120Hz screen but not me. I wish I could figure out why I can't disable integrated graphics and why this new display won't work. I tried again after discovering that this new PSU isn't working correctly and still the same outcome of 8 beeps. Even trying to have an external display connected with the HDMI or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter would still get the beeps after disabling integrated graphics in the BIOS. There are a few other quirks that I'd like to work out but that's the major one. Another one is I think nVidia Control Panel isn't affecting anything. I think disabling Intel graphics and installing the new screen would solve this issue, if I could figure out how. At least I've learned how to modify those driver files and can mod the newest ones to install on my system but the settings don't seem to be taking. Intel Graphics Properties vsync works so I don't know...

It sounds a little like you are mixing some things together.

First of, either you have Nvidia Optimus + 60hz configuration

Or

None-optimus + 120hz

Understanding the configuration:

60hz uses the lvds connector.

The lvds connector can use pure external graphics and integrated graphics or both at the same time called Nvidia Optimus.

Bios Settings are called:

PEG = Pure external graphics

IGFX = Pure integrated graphics

SG = Both at the same time

PEG is the best setting.

I would uninstall the Nvidia first, then switch to PEG and install the driver again to make sure I got rid of the Nvidia Optimus configuration.

Understanding the configuration:

120hz uses the EDP connector, (the one with screws).

It only support pure external graphics.

If the integrated graphics is active in any way and the laptop tries to use it, it will cause 8 beeps.

Also it only support Nvidia graphics, AMD graphics will cause 8 beeps too.

Also before upgrading to 120hz I will uninstall all graphics drivers and make sure the bios is set correctly.

P.S.

MSI Gtx 1070 only supports EDP and can only run in pure UEFI mode, otherwise is will give 8 beeps. So to avoid a lot of headache, convert your harddrive from MBR to GPT to make it run in UEFI mode, then set BIOS to UEFI, then install windows 10.

If you only have lvds connector (60hz) you need the integrated graphics to convert the signal.

There for you will need to use SG in bios and Nvidia Optimus to run both at the same time.

Sometimes when configuring everything, it is a good Idea to try loading default settings in bios first before changing the settings. It can happen that some settings you made can conflict with each other.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello An0npl4y

I'm planning to connect the GTX 1070 to the Alienware M17x R4.

The information in this thread has been a great learning experience.

We look forward to your continued support as the same Alienware M17x R4 user.