Toshiba Satellite Heating Problem

Hello,

I bought a toshiba satellite p50-c late in 2016. I have huge spikes when im playing games.Even if i play low requirement games does not matter i cant play.I tried everything i found on the net.They didnt work. As a last try i found this site.I think there is a problem about my cpu temperature.Can you help me about this problem?

Computer temperature.png

Hi, your Toshiba Satellite P50-C bought late 2016 should still be under warranty, so if there is damage with the CPU or if it needs to be re-pasted, than it should be fixed under warranty.

Are the idle temperatures of the CPU very high? Also, is it just the CPU, or is the GPU and the laptop in general very hot?

(In addition, if it is the Toshiba P50-C with the Geforce GTX 930M and i7-5500U, then it is not suitable for the latest games on high settings, and graphics settings might have to be lowered (resolution, frame limiting, no particles, no anti-aliasing etc.) or a heat mitigation solution may be required to prevent the throttling. Especially if it is under warranty, an external laptop cooler blowing into the air intake might help a little.)

Edited by June
Warranty, laptop cooler

21 minutes ago, June said:

Hi, your Toshiba Satellite P50-C bought late 2016 should still be under warranty, so if there is damage with the CPU or if it needs to be re-pasted, than it should be fixed under warranty.

Are the idle temperatures of the CPU very high? Also, is it just the CPU, or is the GPU and the laptop in general very hot?

(In addition, if it is the Toshiba P50-C with the Geforce GTX 930M and i7-5500U, then it is not suitable for the latest games on high settings, and graphics settings might have to be lowered (resolution, frame limiting, no particles, no anti-aliasing etc.) or a heat mitigation solution may be required to prevent the throttling. Especially if it is under warranty, an external laptop cooler blowing into the air intake might help a little.)

Thanks for reply, actually yes it should be under warranty.But our toshiba service is really shitty and i dont say that lightly. When i bought my laptop there was a problem with fan. So i gave it to the service but they gave it back without doing anything.Then i send it back with explaining problem with great detail. I recorded sound of fan etc. So they fixed it.In my country if a electronic device broken in first 6 months it should be replaced with new one.Bu they blamed me for fan and they didnt change it. So i sued them.I think it will last lik 4 or 5 months before a conculusion. So i cant send it to service because they dont do shit.

It has Geforce GTX 950M so i think it should work with games like dota 2 or red orchestra 2 but its not.And i play them on lowest settings. Weird thing about temperature of CPU is its changing so fast and so much i mean i took the screenshot above when i am playing Red Orchestra 2 on lowest settings. And CPU temperature is just rising to 105 Celcius then in one second it is dropping to 75 celcius.

And i use an external laptop cooler it helped a little but still its unplayable. 

No problem. When the CPU temperature was at 105 Celcius, was the CPU load also at 100%? Does the fan get louder then quieter? Is the temperature high outside of games? Either way, maybe there was an inadequate job on the thermal paste of the CPU. Temperature raising really fast could be a sign of bad thermal conductivity, either because of thermal paste, heat sink is seated improperly, etc. and if the fan is still broken, then there will not be enough airflow to cool the heat sink and temperature will also be high.

Also, it seems that the CPU is the bottleneck for those games. Red Orchestra 2 may perform better with the hardware physics option which should nominally transfer some load from the CPU to the GPU. DOTA command line settings like "-dx9" or  "-nosound".

It is too bad the Toshiba service seems difficult. If you are suing them, then the laptop is evidence so you can't really open it to try and fix it, or they will blame you again for their problem. There is really not much to do without voiding the warranty and the lawsuit.

One more way to decrease CPU overheating without voiding the warranty is if the BIOS allows you to disable Intel CPU Turbo Mode, and also CPU clock and voltage. To enter the BIOS on the Toshiba it should be by pressing F2 on boot.

Disassemble the laptop, clean the heatsink with a brush or compressed air while holding the fan still, then clean the cpu, gpu and the heatsink faces with napkins and alchool, apply a thin line of thermal paste in the cpu because is very rectangular and a pea sized drop in the gpu.

User Artic MX4 or Kryonaut.

Toshiba is already throttling is CPU to 30Watts TDP via current limit, so your best bet is to undervolt it, it will be cooler and you will gain 100-200Mhz under load.

I have a P50-A and I spent a couple hours to remove the stupid current limitation :

But I'm using LiquidUltra on mine because the heatsink is all cooper all I did was apply nail polish over the exposed caps and test pads on the cpu/gpu and applied the LiquidUltra.

On 07.04.2017 at 1:03 AM, June said:

No problem. When the CPU temperature was at 105 Celcius, was the CPU load also at 100%? Does the fan get louder then quieter? Is the temperature high outside of games? Either way, maybe there was an inadequate job on the thermal paste of the CPU. Temperature raising really fast could be a sign of bad thermal conductivity, either because of thermal paste, heat sink is seated improperly, etc. and if the fan is still broken, then there will not be enough airflow to cool the heat sink and temperature will also be high.

Also, it seems that the CPU is the bottleneck for those games. Red Orchestra 2 may perform better with the hardware physics option which should nominally transfer some load from the CPU to the GPU. DOTA command line settings like "-dx9" or  "-nosound".

It is too bad the Toshiba service seems difficult. If you are suing them, then the laptop is evidence so you can't really open it to try and fix it, or they will blame you again for their problem. There is really not much to do without voiding the warranty and the lawsuit.

On 07.04.2017 at 2:33 AM, June said:

One more way to decrease CPU overheating without voiding the warranty is if the BIOS allows you to disable Intel CPU Turbo Mode, and also CPU clock and voltage. To enter the BIOS on the Toshiba it should be by pressing F2 on boot.

Sorry for the late reply i was busy with my midterms. I am not really sure if temperature hit 105 celcius when CPU at %100 so i will check it. Fan noise doesnt change much it like always same. When i first open the computer and just using internet temperature is low. But even after i close the game temperature spikes still there like for 20-30 minutes. I will try other things you said but i am little short on time right now. 

• 1 month later...