P870DM-G 980DT Heatsink Mod for MSI 1070

thegh0sts

Here's what the heatsink looks like installed. The mini-heatsinks don't seem to stay on and while I am tempted to glue the heatsinks in place though the resale value will go down.

Oh well.

6e7aff5d8aaadbfacff81dc47dc33c2c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

the thermal adhesive seems to be working well at holding down the heatsinks. the thermal tape just didn't have enough stickiness to stay on and a heatsink would get loose when i would reopen the laptop to see just how effective the adhesion was and, as said, it wasn't great. So I used Arctic Silver Alumina thermal adhesive to attach the heatsinks to the exposed chips. I figured I may as well since I am not gonna resell the part later on so sticking it on was a good choice. None of the adhesive went onto other components on the board and it looks pretty clean.

That being said the temps were pretty much the same as the 3 pipe 980M heatsink. On cool days the idle temp was 29 C but on hot days it can go up to at least 34-35 with fans at 100%. the load temps were also higher due to higher ambient temps so BF1 would hit about 68 C which is about 3-4 C higher than on a cool day. the temps haven't gone completely nuts post modification but have pretty much stayed the same as the 980M heatsink.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

@thegh0sts you wierdo, what crazy experiment are you up to now, hahaha. 

I just saw this thread now, or I would have joined in long ago. I could do cuts like this for you in the future if you need with my dremel (you sooo should buy one, such an awesome tool for this work!)

There is an alternative I can think of, for you instead of using heatsinks on the components directly with glue. You could have attached a cut out modified heatsink fin block to the heatsink there, and made it compatible. 

Like buy a few heatsinks from ebay for cheap, and cut the fins and attach a pipe etc..

the thermal adhesive seems to be working well at holding down the heatsinks. the thermal tape just didn't have enough stickiness to stay on and a heatsink would get loose when i would reopen the laptop to see just how effective the adhesion was and, as said, it wasn't great. So I used Arctic Silver Alumina thermal adhesive to attach the heatsinks to the exposed chips. I figured I may as well since I am not gonna resell the part later on so sticking it on was a good choice. None of the adhesive went onto other components on the board and it looks pretty clean.

That being said the temps were pretty much the same as the 3 pipe 980M heatsink. On cool days the idle temp was 29 C but on hot days it can go up to at least 34-35 with fans at 100%. the load temps were also higher due to higher ambient temps so BF1 would hit about 68 C which is about 3-4 C higher than on a cool day. the temps haven't gone completely nuts post modification but have pretty much stayed the same as the 980M heatsink.

If you're still on the stock 120W power limit bios then yes the 980M heatsink will handle it fine. If you unlock it to what it can do - up to 200W - that's where the double heatsink will prove its worth

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm wondering if this mod is the only method of fitting a heatsink to a GtX 1070.  I'm not sure if they make one that is made to work with the 1070 in the p870dm-g.  I'm currently runing a 980m configuration of it, but was considering upgrading to a 1070 in the next few months.  As I would have to purchase a new heat sink regardless, I would prefer to buy one already made for the 1070 if it is available. If the mod is necessary ill do it, but i figured i might be able to save me a little bit of headache and time if a reseller has them prefab.

Hi, I'm wondering if this mod is the only method of fitting a heatsink to a GtX 1070.  I'm not sure if they make one that is made to work with the 1070 in the p870dm-g.  I'm currently runing a 980m configuration of it, but was considering upgrading to a 1070 in the next few months.  As I would have to purchase a new heat sink regardless, I would prefer to buy one already made for the 1070 if it is available. If the mod is necessary ill do it, but i figured i might be able to save me a little bit of headache and time if a reseller has them prefab.

The primary GPU heatsink is fine. This mod is for those that want to use both fans to cool and do a bit of overclocking of the GPU.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/7/2017 at 1:12 AM, thegh0sts said:

The primary GPU heatsink is fine. This mod is for those that want to use both fans to cool and do a bit of overclocking of the GPU.

Does The 2nd GPU fan works by default with The msi 1070, or something needs to be done?