iGPU not detected when eGPU plugged in

Sgt Chaos66

Asus UX31A Zenbook

Beast v8.3 MPCIE connection

Xbox 360 PSu 

GTX 960 4Gb

Hi there, I am trying to get my laptop to recognise both my gtx960 and HD4000 at the same time, so I can enable Optimus.

My laptops motherboard doesn't allow hot plugging.

When I boot it up, it makes the 960 the main graphic adaptor, and does not recognise my HD4000, so I cant play Optimus.

The switches on the beast do not do anything.

Struggling to install and use the free 1.30 setup as my laptop is UEFI  

My BIOS is very basic and doesn't give me the option to change what it loads with.

I'm out of idea's..

Anybody have any idea's or previous experience with a problem like this?

Thanks for your time.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Doink for your quick reply.

I tried blocking off pin22 on my mPCIE connector and it worked! As in on my device manager both my GTX960 and my HD4000 showed up. Unfortunately the GeForce control panel wouldn't load up (maybe because the HD4000 was the primary).

So I did a restart hoping that might solve the problem, but I couldn't get the GTX960 to show up again?? 

I'm using a Xbox 360 power supply, with the "sense" just connected to 5v (so it's always powered on, no standby) I've exsperimented with different  pins on the 8pin power in (on the beast) to get the beast v8.3 soft start function. But had no luck so the eGPU starts from turning the Xbox psu from the wall

Could this be a reason why? And if anyone has any idea which 8pin socket the sense and 5v cable should go, that would be a great help. 

Thank you again for any help

Stu 

Omg i feel you bro. I have an msi gtx 1070 but my laptop g551jw cant detect my gpu. Im sure all is connected and uninstalled drivers unsing ddu but the problem is i cant detect my gpu but all lights are working i think one thing i missed is the UMA bios setting something like that which is not showing on asus bios setting.. i still have hope and searching for the fix. 

And one more thing i saw your post regarding the removal of 22pin mpcie??? Why is that can you explain?

On 1/4/2017 at 8:55 PM, Sgt Chaos66 said:

Thank you Doink for your quick reply.

I tried blocking off pin22 on my mPCIE connector and it worked! As in on my device manager both my GTX960 and my HD4000 showed up. Unfortunately the GeForce control panel wouldn't load up (maybe because the HD4000 was the primary).

So I did a restart hoping that might solve the problem, but I couldn't get the GTX960 to show up again?? 

I'm using a Xbox 360 power supply, with the "sense" just connected to 5v (so it's always powered on, no standby) I've exsperimented with different  pins on the 8pin power in (on the beast) to get the beast v8.3 soft start function. But had no luck so the eGPU starts from turning the Xbox psu from the wall

Could this be a reason why? And if anyone has any idea which 8pin socket the sense and 5v cable should go, that would be a great help. 

Thank you again for any help

Stu 

If you isolate the perst pin you never reboot your computer, always do shutdown/start or sleep/wake instead to trigger the delays on the adapter. The adapter has an LED turned on while waiting for the delay and goes off when its done.

Other method is to mod your bios at your own risk and set the Chipset->System Agent->Graphics Configutarion->Primary Display to IGFX instead of Auto. I can't help you with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.