Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Well what you need is a "all in one" solution.

So you are stuck to sth like the Sonnet III-D (slimest solution) or sth DIY. I am still working on putting a GTX 970, ATX PSU and the AKiTiO board into a CoolerMaster Elite 130. That case is pretty nice to carry around. There are even nicer cases like a Lian Li PC-TU200A with a handle on top.

Edit: To go even slimmer you might need to build a case by yourself.

I agree with dschijn. This is what I needed and it worked out great

So according to you, I do not need external display in order to implement Thunderbolt eGPU. I can just plug akitio on to my macbook and enjoy playing games right?

will it make any difference if i get gtx 970 over 980 or 980 ti?

Like I said before. On a desktop PC you might get a good performance boost 980 vs 980Ti, but on a MacBook (limitung factor 1) with Thunderbolt 2 (limitung factor 2) and only using the internal display (limitung factor 3) you will not get such a good effect. Of course the 980Ti will be faster, but in my opinion the money is not worth the small improvement.

You can play on the internal display in Windows 8.1 (100% chance). OSX I am not sure.

You can play on the internal display in Windows 8.1 (100% chance). OSX I am not sure.

Considering playing games only on MBPs retina display, will it make any difference in games if i get gtx 970 instead of gtx 980 or 980 ti.

Had to change it to (hd2,gpt1). Will not do the OSX testing on my SSD in the 15" (2014, Iris only)… Will try it on a test partition on an external drive.

On my 13" (late 2013) the GPU is deteced now and I will do some testing now, maybe use that "test drive" on the 15".

You can add the files to an empty usb sticks EFI and change the grub code to

apple_set_os
exit

the startup disk needs to be set in os x (to windows). after running the code from selecting the USB at boot it will exit out back into the boot process set by startup disk in os x.

i couldn't replicate this on my internal SSD unfortunately and had to use the setroot command

Hi everyone,

I'am new here and I just bought the "EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Car v7.0"(on the way).

I noticed that every FoRUM that talk about this, refers to Laptops with Intel Core i3, i5 or i7;

In my case i have a HP DV6-3084 (AMD pure):

AMD Phenom II x4 2.0Ghz,

Radeon HD4000 "switchable" ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 graphics

8GB DDR3 RAM

128SSD+750HDD

Windowns 8.1 / Windows 7

What`s the suggestion for the eGPU?? ATI R7 260x or NVIdia GTX 7xx ???

My doubt here is not only performance, I'm woried about driver compatibility issues.

Thanks for the Help.

Awesome setup! This is almost exactly what I'm planning to build, except with a 2013 MBP w/ 750M. I've got a few questions if you have the time.

(1) I'm planning on using this setup to render 3D animation using Octane GPU Render software that will be running on OSX. The software needs to be able to boot and send renders to the GPU. Will this require any additional software rigging?

(2) Will I be able to render on My discrete 750M and the eGPU simultaneously?

(3) I don't care about Optimus but I would like my Thunderbolt Display to operate from my Macbook's other TB port, along with my internal display. This is only for working in the software. Will this work with the standard Boot Camp configuration?

This most closely resembles the setup I'm building. I hope it's OK to post these questions a couple times because a few of these implementations are what I'm looking to build but it seems that I'm planning to use it differently from most.

I do 3D Animation and haven't found much but curiosity about eGPUs on 3D forums. I think once a few people implement it, there will be a ton of attention from that community. Anyhow, I plan on using Octane Render Engine software ( Octane Render ) and have a few questions before I place my orders. Thanks so much for all the effort put into this! And especially Tech Inferno Fan. Looks like you're making some dreams come true LoL.

(1) I'm planning on using this setup to render 3D animation using Octane GPU Render software that will be running on OSX. The software needs to be able to boot and send renders to the GPU. Will this require any additional software rigging?

(2) Will I be able to render on My discrete 750M and the eGPU simultaneously?

(3) I don't care about Optimus but I would like my Thunderbolt Display to operate from my Macbook's other TB port, along with my internal display. This is only for working in the software. Will this work with the standard Boot Camp configuration?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.