Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi, just out of curiosity is it correct behavior that setup 1.30 just hangs on some loading when eGPU is not attached and that the only option that works is DOS failsafe? If so, is there any way to test whether chainloading works under failsafe DOS prompt?

I do know if I am answering correctly to this. Because i am myself still trying to set it up.

But I believe that when eGPU is not connected it won't boot.

P. S. just trying to be helpful and give back what I have learned myself.

You can actually make it boot up via option 5 (DOS failsafe). And I acutally found out a answer for my question: Yes, you can enter menu version from the BIOS failsafe (F10) and then try chainloading... (test run) even without eGPU plugged in.

But I have one more question. Is it correct behavior that after the chainloading test, my laptop rebooted and went into bootloader (grub 2) again? Shouldn't it go straight to Windows?

But I have one more question. Is it correct behavior that after the chainloading test, my laptop rebooted and went into bootloader (grub 2) again? Shouldn't it go straight to Windows?

Chainloader.mode set to MBR will boot the MBR, which in your case points to grub2. Set Chainloader->mode.BOOTMGR instead to chainload to your Win7/8 bootmanager instead. Do a Chainloader->Test Run and if has errors then also toggle Chainloader->noremap and test again.

Firstly, you should identify what Chainloading method works without any PCI compaction. It's likely going to be MBR mode. So select Chainloader->mode.MBR to change from your existing problematic MBR2 mode to MBR,. Then do Chainloader->Test Run to confirm it works.

Then you start working through the over 20 different PCI compaction configurations listed when you when you hit F1 over PCI Compaction->Run. Test each one by doing Chainloader-Test Run.

If still problematic after that then please contact me via email to discuss.

I am trying to follow your instructions.

But what am I looking for?

To see if the video card starts without issues?

I am trying to follow your instructions.

But what am I looking for?

To see if the video card starts without issues?

The help instructions when you highlight PCI compaction->Run compact and hit F1 advise to test each PCI compaction configuration scenario for:

- elimination of error 12 against the video card

- no BSODs during Windows load

• Thumbs Up 1

The help instructions when you highlight PCI compaction->Run compact and hit F1 advise to test each PCI compaction configuration scenario for:

- elimination of error 12 against the video card

- no BSODs during Windows load

Can anyone please help me out?:52_002:

I have been trying to do compactions. But every time i start computer i have error 43.

please check my main post http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8106-%5Bwip%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx760%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html#post110489

i have got 100% optimus working everytime without any hardware messing about at all! please check my guide and let me know if you need me to make it clearer. it would be great if you can confirm this works for you too.

this may help others to use the intergrated gpu on other systems too.

Wow, thanks. Will do that.

YYYYYYEEESSSSS!!!!!! IT'S ALLIIIIIVE!

Ahem, yeah, it works.

Specs/setup:

Zotac GTX970

PE4C 2.1b, mPCIe into WWAN port.

Dell DA-2 220p power supply.

I7-2630QM

6GB ram

Windows 7 professional

Notes:

I still cannot restart my laptop, I get black screen and no post. Shutdown/startup works instead, or unplugging mPCIe before the screen goes black, selecting "setup 1.3" - "chainload startup.bat" then hotplugging during scan.

Switches were set to SW2 (CLKRUN) - 2, SW1 (PCI delay/PERST) - 1/off. PC would not boot if SW1 was in any other position, would boot if SW2 was in 3 but 2 worked better (less delay).

This took about 15 hours to get working, although 14 hours of that were failures.

This took half a bottle of scotch whisky.

Steps taken:

1. fail 400 times

2. undo all your past failures.

3. uninstall dGPU from device manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics drivers completely, preferably by running "display driver uninstaller" in normal mode. Disable device manager auto install (open devices and printers, right click your computer icon, click device installation preferences, click NO - Never install). run "display driver uninstall" again, this time select safe mode.

4. restart or shutdown/startup if you have boot issues. Device manager should then install your dGPU as "generic VGA adapter". Shutdown again.

5. plug in mPCI card. Boot to windows.

6. windows should detect your graphics card as "generic VGA adapter". shutdown.

7. restart into Setup 1.3.

Setup 1.3 - F3 saves to chainload settings.1. Go to PCI compaction, select 32-bit 4gb limit.

2. Select "ignore dGPU"

3. run PCI compact on eGPU only.

4. Go to video adapters, disable dGPU. press F3.

5. Go to PCI settings, enable Gen2 on eGPU port. press F3

6. Go to chainload, select MBR (not MBR2, this gave me HDD not detected errors)

7. open startup settings, select fast boot.

8. Click test run, it should OK everything.

9. Go to chainload, click test run, it should take you back to the "boot windows or setup 1.3" menu. Click windows.

Windows/Driver install

1. Windows should now detect your external graphics card with no Code 12 error, though may have code 14 (needs restart).Your dGPU should not appear.

2. Install NVIDIA drivers. reboot though 1.3 chainload startup.bat. Reboot again though 1.3 chainload startup.bat.

3. System may give you error 43 (device disabled due to error report). Put the computer to sleep. unplug mPCIe card once asleep, replug, then resume from sleep. wait 2 minutes and the error should clear.

This is the stage I am at.

When i have some more time I will update this thread with more results. the only benchmark i have run so far has been 3dmark firestrike, with a result of 7645 total, 9590 graphics, 6617 physx (CPU), combined 3343. I will run a full 3D Mark 13 when i have some time.

Unusual problems encountered:

Windows detected my GTX 970 as a 6800 LE, a standard 6800, a GeForce networking adapter, a 3d graphics adapter (apparently not the same a s VGA adapter) and refused to detect it at all. all of these were fixed by right clicking the device and selecting "update driver" - "I will pick driver" - "select driver from list" - "Generic VGA adapter. If that didnt work a reboot did.

Problems:

I still cannot reboot without black screen before POST + no boot. Biggest problem. Does anyone have a solution?

Sleep sometimes is disabled which prevents sleep/resume hotplugging. it appears to be related to the state/error code shown by the graphics card though i haven't worked it out yet.

I tried the flashing the modified ME Firmware with both a Legacy Windows install and UEFI Windows install (for Clover).

It always results in a bad ME flash (no icon in the system tray). Should I submit my originalbios.bin for inspection?

And to add, I did a -BIOS dump then opened the dump with UEFITool but couldn't search for the SetupPrep module. What am I missing?

The UEFITool searching for SetupPrep is pioneering working on the Elitebooks. Your results sound like may be a dead end. In which case the only extra performance available would be the modified ME FW allowing a ~4-5% BCLK overclocking.

Previously I found that a machine specific modified ME FW needed to be prepared to work per 2570P. Asking @Khenglish nicely via PM may see him volunteer to create one for you.

Can anyone please help me out?:52_002:

I have been trying to do compactions. But every time i start computer i have error 43.

You can try Windows 10 for free and report your results.

You can also try Ubuntu 14.04 or 12.04. They have good support. Many games can be installed successfully there with automated scripts (for wine) and they can be even quicker there. You can give up if simply guidances don't work for you.

You can try Windows 10 for free and report your results.

You can also try Ubuntu 14.04 or 12.04. They have good support. Many games can be installed successfully there with automated scripts (for wine) and they can be even quicker there. You can give up if simply guidances don't work for you.

This is great. G-d bless you. [emoji108] [emoji106]

If you are already spending your time here why would you do something nasty like this instead of just helping a guy out that have hard time understanding.

HI

I have tried your solution on windows 8.1 internal display with Optimus, however Step 4 and 8 is different. It's working right now with internal display on Windows 8.1.

What I did:

First I followed all the steps, but when I am up to 7, it didn't restart with the boot menu. Even if I tried holing option when rebooting it was Apple reboot menu, but with black background. Therefore, I restart the solution from 1 again, this time I skipped step 4 ( I didn't delete the refind folder), and this time it reboot with the eFind boot manager. However, when I pressed the GRUB boot, it said abort, therefore cannot finish step 8 (photo 2). In conclusion I can run internal display in windows 8.1 but with skipping step 4 and 8.

Another problem is the "?" in boot manager, it is always ? when reboot, however when I select ? and enter, it will load and change to apple. post-29815-14494998666402_thumb.jpg(photo 1)

post-29815-14494998671027_thumb.jpg(photo 2)

P.S. I am using Mac 10.10. Mid Macbook 2014 13 inch Retina Irish Model

Hi. Thanks for the info. I am away from home this weekend. But I have some updates files and included a cleaner more Mac theme and a revised step guide I will post up when I'm back. I edited the grub configure file to enable direct boot into Bootcamp automatically now. And removed all unneeded code. Literally all that is needed is the apple_set_os in the grub.cfg to enable igpu at boot. How simple!

From your errors. I believed I have missed a step as the folder structure has changed the boot file needs the bless command issued again in terminal. Sorry about that.

On a side note I have noticed brightness control is not working. Which I am looking into at the moment.

Enabling NVidia Optimus (iGPU) on GT750M equipped 15" Macbook Pro?

Any GT750M 15" Macbook Pro owner want to test Evo's impressive method to engage the iGPU on a Macbook and therefore get NVidia Optimus working. T

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8106-%5Bwip%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx760%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html#post110489

If this does engage the iGPU then it's a massive find for owners of that notebook for even those without eGPUs.

That's due to the improved battery life to be had when running the iGPU under Windows. Something that has so far not been possible. The iGPU then allowing NVidia Optimus to provide software controllable engagement of the GT750M as required under different power plans.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.