Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Thank you so much for this! I agree why downgrade? Only issue I see here is that I can't run my Thunderbolt display. So maybe sell it and buy a new one that supports more inputs. Right?

Discussion moved to http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-57.html#post109369

$113-shipped PE4C 2.0 is no more. It's a US$134-shipped PE4C 2.1 instead. I've updated the opening post and one immediately after comparing to EXP GDC V6/V7.

Further commentary: I have a sample PE4C 2.1 and EXP GDC V6 here, finding they are functional equivalent. However, I prefer the EXP GDC V6 port layout , cleaner cabling and better footprint and will now use it instead of any BPlus adapter.

The only reason to get the PE4C V2.1 would be for it's x2 2.0 capability (which can't be used in new notebooks) and CLKRUN delay slider. The latter useful in *some* mPCIe implementations as it avoids needing to do live and dangerous hotplugging to enable a functional port.

What makes the EXP GDC V6 even better is it can be obtained with no AC adapter for as little as US$50-shipped. That's for use with a user acquired ATX PSU, something that can often be scavenged from business districts for $0.

Price increases

Lower prices have been requested from BPlus on numerous occasions. However, we've instead got higher prices.

With the PE4C 2.1 I do see scope for them to remove the DA-2 adapter, dropping price and shipping cost in the process. It's something they've aluded to in private discussion.

One negotiating point with be their liberal use of DIY eGPU content for their product advertising and even link to the DIY eGPU forum. However, given the lack of pricing cooperation there may be a request to limit those. Doing so would also alleviate any perceived bias favoring BPlus products. There is none. The product stands on it's own merits.

I know this question may be a bit early. I have a nice eGPU setup running on Mavericks. However, when I initially tested it out with the beta version of Yosemite, it didn't work very well.

I was wondering if that is still the case. Searching the forums or google didn't result in much success. Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

I too, have managed to get my 780 Ti + Sonnet III-D combo working under Yosemite. I'm currently writing a guide on how to do it. It should be up shortly.

EDIT: Guide is here: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8059-%5Bguide%5D-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx780ti%4016gbps-tb2-sonnet-ee-iiid-osx10-10-a.html#post109983

• Thumbs Up 1

$113-shipped PE4C 2.0 is no more. It's a US$134-shipped PE4C 2.1 instead. I've updated the opening post and one immediately after comparing to EXP GDC V6/V7.

Further commentary: I have a sample PE4C 2.1 and EXP GDC V6 here, finding they are functional equivalent. However, I prefer the EXP GDC V6 port layout , cleaner cabling and better footprint and will now use it instead of any BPlus adapter.

The only reason to get the PE4C V2.1 would be for it's x2 2.0 capability (which can't be used in new notebooks) and CLKRUN delay slider. The latter useful in *some* mPCIe implementations as it avoids needing to do live and dangerous hotplugging to enable a functional port.

What makes the EXP GDC V6 even better is it can be obtained with no AC adapter for as little as US$50-shipped. That's for use with a user acquired ATX PSU, something that can often be scavenged from business districts for $0.

Price increases

Lower prices have been requested from BPlus on numerous occasions. However, we've instead got higher prices.

With the PE4C 2.1 I do see scope for them to remove the DA-2 adapter, dropping price and shipping cost in the process. It's something they've aluded to in private discussion.

One negotiating point with be their liberal use of DIY eGPU content for their product advertising and even link to the DIY eGPU forum. However, given the lack of pricing cooperation there may be a request to limit those. Doing so would also alleviate any perceived bias favoring BPlus products. There is none. The product stands on it's own merits.

Perhaps if people would stop buying products from them, then they may start thinking about lowering the price.

UPDATE: Still waiting for my Thunder2 unit to arrive, I had a play with the Thundertek Unit to see how far i could get... Success on both Yosemite and Windows 8.1!

The Boot Order to get Windows to recognise was the hardest part to work out. i will write up instructions when i get back from work. incase anyone else is interested. and post them in the main post.

Ok… I've done some more testing.

Reinstalled windows as described in post #1. Installed the lastest Nvidia Driver (v344.16) and the latest Intel Graphics Driver (v15.36.7.64.3960)!

Optimus is working by:

100% if external screen is main display

Optimus fails by:

100% (after a reboot) if internal screen is setup as primary display and external screen as extended display.

The following situations are (not) working:

- booting with external display, internal and external display are working

- external screen as main screen

- window mode "Ungine Valley" can be dragged between both screens, always powered by the GTX 970

- booting without external display, internal display is working

- Optimus is working

- hot plug (plug and play) of the external display works on the fly in windows

- unplugging the external display works, internal display still works and windows is not crashing

- internal screen as main screen works, but fails after a reboot!

- external display as 2nd display works

- reboot without external display -> internal display is switched off (Optimus fails!)

- plugging in the external display while internal display is black works, external screen is now main screen, internal screen is still off (Optimus fails!)

- changing setting to extend the display to both screens doesn't work, internal screen is still off (Optimus fails!)

- shut down, unplugging TB, plgging in TB, booting, internal screen is still off (Optimus fails!), previously setup extended display is off

- device manager: Intel Iris is not found (turned off?)

- setting up to extend the screen between both displays (external is main display)!

- the previous step is compulsory! Without it, the next step will have NO effect

- reinstalling Intel Graphics Driver works, reboot is showing internal display again

- internal screen as main screen

- reboot without external display -> internal display is switched off (Optimus fails!)

- device manager: Intel Iris is not found (turned off again!)

@Dschijn, I've commented on the Apple firmware switching off the iGPU if the eGPU is detected on boot at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-59.html#post109786 . Please refer and test suggestions to circumvent that issue.

I tried the boot hold up and plugging in the TB cable, what didn't work.

All the other options are not going to an option for as I want to keep everything inside the Cooler Master case.

Bottom line is: external screen has to be main display in the extended display setup.

Screwing up the internal screen can be fixed by:

- setting the mode back to extended display

- reinstall Intel Grapcis Driver

- reinstall Nvidia Grapcis Driver

Has anyone used the Akitio board? It says all over the site that it's not for graphics cards and doesn't work with bootcamp, but if the other boards work why shouldn't this? I think they just don't want to support e-gpu.

This seems to be the cheapest enclosure that supports thunderbolt 2.

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box | PCI Express Expansion Box with Thunderbolt 2 Interface | AKiTiO

I'm tempted to get one and try it out, is there any reason why it wouldn't work with the other listed modifications?

I also found this but don't know anything about the price http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/EP/serial/products-detail/en_US/678427/Thunderbolt_to_1_slot_PCIe_Expansion_Adapter/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.