Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi! I am currently Awaiting all my components to be delivered from all over the globe to me in Australia.

I will update this post as much as possible as and when i get some progress and if and when I need to ask the community for advice.

I am really not that tech minded at all, and would appreciate any advice and help and in turn i hope to make this a guide which will eventually help others.

MacBook Pro Retina 13” (Late 2013)

2.6Ghz i5 CPU

8GB Ram

512GB SSD

Integrated Iris Graphics 5100

I have ordered the Following in hope of making my working eGPU:

Firmtek ThunderTek/PX Thunderbolt to PCIe Chassis (Received) (Returned)

AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16GBps-TB2) (On Order)

3m MacSales ThunderBolt Cable (Received)

Corsair RM650 Gold PSU (Received)

4x-16x PCI-e Riser (A) (On Order)

16x-16x Powered PCI-e Riser (B) (Received)

5.5mm DC Molex Cable (Received)

EVGA Geforce GTX760 SuperClocked 2GB + EVGA ACX Cooler (Received)

I have a Fresh install of Windows 8.1 Core SL x64 in EFI Boot (+ WinClone Copy) ready to Go!

*Problems/Questions* (Please be mindful i am totally new to this and am seeking advice)

Thankyou for your Time and advice in helping me complete my Setup.

Update.

Whilst awaiting for my Thunder2 enclosure i decided to have a go with the Thundertek unit and see where i could get.

Steps to Enable Optimus and First Time Driver Install.

1. Have Everything Connected up but leave the Thundertek PCI slot empty for now.

2. Power up PSU

3. Power up Macbook from Cold Start and Hold "Alt" to Enter the Boot Selection Screen. then wait for a few seconds.

4. Connect GPU card to Thundertek PCI slot

5. Windows should boot with External Screen for First time driver install (Install Drivers Time) / Optimus Boot.

6. boot with Optimus start steps 1-4 with cold boot (not 100% success) if not keep trying!

7. To always boot with ext display. Have everything connected inc GPU card. And Windows should always boot with External display even with reboots.

Sucess! OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1 (Thundertek)

post-28061-14494998583034_thumb.gif

post-28061-14494998583341_thumb.jpg

post-28061-14494998583515_thumb.jpg

post-28061-14494998583768_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

At the time i was ordering (2 weeks ago) the AKiTiO shipped to AU was pricey. since then i see the price has dropped for the AKiTiO...

I may have to Order one now and return or resell the ThunderTek.

thank you for bringing the price drop to my attention!

I have emailed them for a shipping price.

• Thumbs Up 1

What bios version are you running? OS, etc?

Dell 17" Precision M6500 (A10 Bios)

Intel® Core i7 CPU M620 @ 2.67GHz

8GB

ATI FirePro M7740

Windows 7 64 bit

It might be worth uploading your DSL files to see what changes you made and if they are different to mine?
To make this easier, a version of the code before patching can be found here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z1h3mx1bg...rride.dsl?dl=0

and after the code has been added, can be found here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7yokrfhwc...rride.dsl?dl=0

Read?

If you've done a disk image installation of Setup 1.30 then please do a USB stick installation.

If you've done a USB stick installation of Setup 1.30 then please do a disk image installation.

See if that resolves your DOS area sector error. If have no success with this or further PCI compaction then please email me.

Thanks Nando,

USB Stick installation may complete PCI Compaction but the generated pci.bat looks strange (compare to other posted), and error 12 still there.

I post here with hope some guide.

@echo -s 39:0.0 COMMAND=0 COMMAND=0 > setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.1 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1b.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1a.7 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1d.7 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1f.3 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:16.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 5:0.0 COMMAND=0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 2:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 38:3.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 37:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:3.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:4.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 3:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1c.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1c.1 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_1=d000000c BASE_ADDRESS_2=0 BASE_ADDRESS_3=ce00000c BASE_ADDRESS_4=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:2.0 BASE_ADDRESS_2=b000000c BASE_ADDRESS_3=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f7000000 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.1 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ffc000 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:2.0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6800004 BASE_ADDRESS_1=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1b.0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ff8004 BASE_ADDRESS_1=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1a.7 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ff7c00 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1d.7 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ff7800 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1f.3 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ff7704 BASE_ADDRESS_1=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:16.0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ff76f4 BASE_ADDRESS_1=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 5:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6ec0000 BASE_ADDRESS_1=f6ebf000 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 2:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_0=f6dfc004 BASE_ADDRESS_1=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 38:3.0 MEMORY_BASE=f6f0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f7f0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=ce01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=dff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 37:0.0 MEMORY_BASE=f6f0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f7f0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=ce01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=dff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:0.0 MEMORY_BASE=f6e0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f6e0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:4.0 MEMORY_BASE=f6f0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f7f0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=ce01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=dff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 3:0.0 MEMORY_BASE=f6e0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f7f0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=ce01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=dff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1.0 MEMORY_BASE=f6e0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f7f0 PREF_MEMORY_BASE=ce01 PREF_BASE_UPPER32=0 PREF_MEMORY_LIMIT=dff1 PREF_LIMIT_UPPER32=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1c.1 MEMORY_BASE=f6d0 MEMORY_LIMIT=f6d0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_5=1001 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 38:3.0 1c.b=11 1d.b=11 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 37:0.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:0.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:3.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 4:4.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 3:0.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1c.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1c.1 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.0 COMMAND=0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.0 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 39:0.1 COMMAND=0 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:2.0 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1b.0 COMMAND=6 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1a.7 COMMAND=6 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1d.7 COMMAND=6 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:1f.3 COMMAND=3 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 0:16.0 COMMAND=6 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 5:0.0 COMMAND=7 COMMAND=7 >> setpci.arg

@echo -s 2:0.0 COMMAND=6 >> setpci.arg

setpci @setpci.arg

set pci_written=yes

Nando4>> discussing issue offline

Your model seems to have no external PCIe compatible interface such as Thunderbolt or ExpressCard.

Did have an internal mSATA slot that might be used as mPCIe slot, where you can connect an eGPU.

I think (others can confirm) you need to check your BIOS if you can switch mSATA port to mPCIe, since mSATA and mPCIe are electrically compatible but not guaranteed to be interchangeable (depends on motherboard).

If not, there is no way I know you can use a eGPU since you haven't any way to connect on.

- - - Updated - - -

In your model I can't find any reference to PCIe compatible external or internal interface such as Thunderbolt, mSATA/mPCIe or ExpressCard.

Without such an interface you can't connect a eGPU to your laptop.

Better you ask to Asus to be sure if there is something.

I have open my laptop, i have a free mPCIe if i remove my wifi card. So if i got an interface, what can i do to be sure that my bios will not be a problem ? and the comptability with the pe4c ?

thx for helping me !

Okay, so I posted a while back about my plan to get a eGPU and with the release of the 970 I went for it. My system:

HP ZBook 15 - i7-4700 MQ, Quadro K1100M, TB1

GigaByte GTX 970

Akitio Thunder2

Corsair RM550

Powered 16x -> 16X riser

A Molex powered plug for the Akitio (since an electrical engineer on here suggested that)

So at this point Windows recognises a GTX 970 in Device Manager, GPUz can read information from it (like the manufacturer and BIOS), however, NVidia Control Panel, setting up an extra monitor and the GeForce software won't recognise it. I have an external monitor connected to the GPU. I've tried disabling the Intel HD4600, I've tried installing the drivers a couple of times, disabling the K2100M in the Device Manager (although I have not found an option to disable it entirely so it won't show up).

Okay, so this was a week back and didn't have time to work on it this week. Today I fixed the problem by editing a text file that was in the driver called ListDevices.txt and removed K2100M from it. That worked, so I got the eGPU working. For benchmarks I only tried 3DMark 13:

Fire Strike: 7884, graphics 9751

Sky Diver: 18424, graphics 28907

Cloud Gate: 16366, graphics 50770

Ice Storm: 90524, graphics 187331

Now my next steps are figuring out how to build a nice enclosure for it which isn't too large and finding a monitor. In other news, my Quadro K1100m kind of vanished from my system after successfully installing the driver for my 970 and I just figured out how to get it back by uninstalling the driver for "Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x 16 Controller - 0C01", which showed up with an error in Device Manager.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so this was a week back and didn't have time to work on it this week. Today I fixed the problem by editing a text file that was in the driver called ListDevices.txt and removed K2100M from it. That worked, so I got the eGPU working. For benchmarks I only tried 3DMark 13:

Fire Strike: 7884, graphics 9751

Sky Diver: 18424, graphics 28907

Cloud Gate: 16366, graphics 50770

Ice Storm: 90524, graphics 187331

Now my next steps are figuring out how to build a nice enclosure for it which isn't too large and finding a monitor. In other news, my Quadro K1100m kind of vanished from my system after successfully installing the driver for my 970 and I just figured out how to get it back by uninstalling the driver for "Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x 16 Controller - 0C01", which showed up with an error in Device Manager.

Excellent. The first HP Thunderbolt eGPU implementation we have documented : http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt

What makes it even more exciting is the latest Gen2 ZBook 15/17 systems have a Thunderbolt2 (TB2) controller on them. That elevates them to be the only TB2 competitor to 15" Macbook Pro systems. The HP with other advantages like an Optimus dGPU graphics that provides acceleration AND battery life savings, expresscard port, traditional SATA driver, optical drive.

So then would you mind submtting a complete guide of what you did to get it all going along with 3dmark06, 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 linked benchmark results? Examples are at Implementation Guides .

I've had great experiences with HP notebooks so am eagerly watching the HP ZBook releases. A 14" Broadwell quad-core unit with TB2 would certainly be of interest.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I've got the same notebook and am wanting to set up an EGPU solution.

There are 4 other eGPU implementations with this Macbook: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt . A very good guide showing how to extract max TB2 performance at lowest cost would be Dschijn's one at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7879-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html#post107838

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh? You have quoted my original post. I was asking duke8804 as to what his setup is, not asking myself as to what my setup is. Or have I missed something?

Your post, now the opening one of this thread, reads as a guide on how you got it all going "That concluded getting it installed and running". It made sense then to fork it off, title it appropriately and file it for other users with the same machine to use as a guide to help them along.

Have I misinterpreted your post?

Hey guys i am having trouble with my eGPU* after recently doing a re-install of Windows in an attempt to get Optimus to work (it didn't). I will boot-up with it plugged in and the internal screen will go black while the external shows no signal. The fans speed up and but never ramp down like they used to. i have a suspicion that it is my riser, is that a possibility? Would appreciate any help. : )

*eGPU Specs: late 2013 Mbp 13inch + Akitio Thunder2 box + Cx500m psu + powered riser + gigabyte gtx 770 4gb + bootcamp Win 8.1 install

Not super familiar with how the eGPU work, but what your describing sounds to me like something is stopping the computer for moving onto POST or POST is failing. Typically this is caused by things not being seated correctly. Such as memory or CPU, but sometimes a bad ground can cause this as well (screw in the wrong place). If the monitor and laptop test fine without the eGPU, I would guess it is your power or riser isn't working correctly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.