Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hello all!

I am very frustrated after my experience with my eGPU.

The reason I start to do it was the death of my GeForce GTX 770M that came with my Alienware 17 (end 2013 model). It is an i7 4th Gen with 2.4 Ghz (Up to 3.2), 16 GB RAM, 250GB SSD from Samsung.

So I bought one GeForce 750Ti, one PSU with 520W from Seasonic and a EXP GDC v8.0 (the alienware have only a mPCI-e to use). Everything was fine. But...

After I took off my GTX770M from Alienware and uninstall its driver, put my GTX 750Ti with mPCI-e and install its driver, see my GPU recognized by device manager, I decided to test eGPU playing games. Terrible! Games was very slow at medium configuration video and sometimes I got BSOD. :(

Here is my GPU-Z: d8f.png

Please someone help me!! Thank you now!

Edited by Ferlin
posted image twice

These are the two screen shots I got once the program was mounted. I went into configurations and also disabled the optimus feature. So far no success. When I am going into the Boot Menu after restarting. There are only 3 drives I am seeing that I can boot from and egpu 1.3 is not one of them. Please let me know what do you think I should look into. Thanks!

3.PNG

4.PNG

8 hours ago, GridX said:

These are the two screen shots I got once the program was mounted. I went into configurations and also disabled the optimus feature. So far no success. When I am going into the Boot Menu after restarting. There are only 3 drives I am seeing that I can boot from and egpu 1.3 is not one of them. Please let me know what do you think I should look into. Thanks!

The Setup 1.30 bootitem exists in your BCD. Strange that it isn't being presented during bootup. Are you using some other bootloader?

In any case, the immediate solution is to use a USB stick installation instead. The installation instructions with Setup 1.30 explain how to create that.

8 hours ago, darkness1187 said:

Are there new instructions to do a non-destructive GPT-to-MBR partition conversion process? Fedora 16 doesn't exist anymore and your links are dead.

what now?

Refer to http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html or other google-search result links about UEFI to MBR conversion

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys.

Got a couple of questions:

1. Are there any reason why I cannot set my dGPU to off in setup 1.30?

2. I did a DSDT override, but on the setup 1.30 menu screen it says that I didn't do an override. Setup 1.30 is not programmed to detect that?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Juunasv said:

Hey guys.

Got a couple of questions:

1. Are there any reason why I cannot set my dGPU to off in setup 1.30?

2. I did a DSDT override, but on the setup 1.30 menu screen it says that I didn't do an override. Setup 1.30 is not programmed to detect that?

Thanks

Pls PM me the Save Diags -> compact_fails resultant file if concerned about dGPU off functionality.

The DSDT field in the STATUS window is a placeholder for future development and atm doesn't do anything. Instead, confirm your DSDT override works by checking for a 'Large Memory' area in Device Manager.

Yesterday after downloading Setup 1.30 I  wanted to download the installation instructions, but somehow my download button disappeared :-( I was hoping that it would be fixed by now because maybe some flag was stuck at my account. Now I'm stuck at doing nothing because I have no clue what to do.

Wanted to try the experimental UEFI setup, because my Macbook Pro Retina 2015 is unable to install/load MBR legacy boot.

• Founder
5 minutes ago, FricoRico said:

Yesterday after downloading Setup 1.30 I  wanted to download the installation instructions, but somehow my download button disappeared :-( I was hoping that it would be fixed by now because maybe some flag was stuck at my account. Now I'm stuck at doing nothing because I have no clue what to do.

Wanted to try the experimental UEFI setup, because my Macbook Pro Retina 2015 is unable to install/load MBR legacy boot.

Open a support ticket and we'll get it resolved.

26 minutes ago, FricoRico said:

I've had no luck with the experimental UEFI installation. Instead, use the appropriate Bootcamp (see https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT205016) where you configure the partitions for a Win7 installation, which will make MBR partitions. Then when you boot the Win8/10 media after pressing the OPTION button ensure you select the USB (MBR) rather than UEFI boot.

Given I see previous post comments of disabling a dGPU, I assume you have a GT750M equipped MBP. This also requires a custom configuration file to resolve error 12. Pls PM me once you have a Windows MBR installation + Setup 1.30 installed so can advise further.

Hi I have a configuration of Asus p1801 the following hardware: 

Intel i3 3220t without iGPU

16gb RAM 

NVIDIA dGPU gt730 2gb.

The graph to egpu is exactly the same video the gigabyte 960gtx oc 4gb.

windows 10

Follow all the steps of the configuration and test by giving the screen goes black with an underscore in the top left corner and does nothing but the solution is just the restart. Could you help me? Thank you

3 minutes ago, Moordenaar said:

Hi I have a configuration of Asus p1801 the following hardware: 

Intel i3 3220t without iGPU

16gb RAM 

NVIDIA dGPU gt730 2gb.

The graph to egpu is exactly the same video the gigabyte 960gtx oc 4gb.

windows 10

Follow all the steps of the configuration and test by giving the screen goes black with an underscore in the top left corner and does nothing but the solution is just the restart. Could you help me? Thank you

It's unclear where the problem is. Assuming you can boot Setup 1.30, then you set Chainloader->mode=MBR and do Chainloader->Test Run. Only once chainloading is confirmed to work should you then proceed to go any other actions like PCIe Compaction. Pls try this and if have any more questions pls email me more details. My email address is on the opening post of this thread.

I have the following setup:

Dell E6400, 4500MHD, 8GB Ram, Windows 10, Setup 1.3, EXP Beast V8 Expresscard, Dell DA2, Nvidea 750ti.

I am able to run the 750ti on an external monitor by using only 2GB of ram.  When booting into Setup 1.3 (as a disk image), it is not able to recognize the EGPU.  All combinations of unplugging the power supply, then plugging in the express card. and so on - do not seem to work.  When booting straight into Windows 10 with 8GB of ram, I receive Error 12.  What are my next steps as far as troubleshooting?  Will I need to perform a DSDT override as well as use Setup 1.3 to make this work with 4GB+ ram?  Or can Setup 1.3 by itself resolve the problem?

2 hours ago, Cornell77 said:

I have the following setup:

Dell E6400, 4500MHD, 8GB Ram, Windows 10, Setup 1.3, EXP Beast V8 Expresscard, Dell DA2, Nvidea 750ti.

I am able to run the 750ti on an external monitor by using only 2GB of ram.  When booting into Setup 1.3 (as a disk image), it is not able to recognize the EGPU.  All combinations of unplugging the power supply, then plugging in the express card. and so on - do not seem to work.  When booting straight into Windows 10 with 8GB of ram, I receive Error 12.  What are my next steps as far as troubleshooting?  Will I need to perform a DSDT override as well as use Setup 1.3 to make this work with 4GB+ ram?  Or can Setup 1.3 by itself resolve the problem?

Pls work through https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8947-mpcieec-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/ in order to get eGPU detection. 

Once detected you can then perform PCI compaction in Setup 1.30. However, if the Dell E6400 bios is like a E4300 I used with TOLUD=3.5GB then indeed, I needed a DSDT override to get the iGPU + eGPU active. A variation you could attempt is an iGPU+eGPU 56.25GB PCI compaction where you force the eGPU to 32-bit space, if effect hijaaking the iGPU 32-bit space. What would happen there is then the iGPU would error 12 instead of the eGPU if the DSDT override wasn't in place.

Thank you for your advice.  I replaced the Dell DA2 with an ATX power supply and used the connecting cable provided with the EXP Beast (V8).  If I leave the Express Card in during boot, I get a pixelated screen in which I cannot fully recognize the screen details.  This is also true when the DA2 is used to power the system.  Thus I can't see the Setup 1.3 boot option choice and the system boots into Windows.

If I leave the Express Card out - select Setup 1.3 - insert the Express Card - then turn on the switch for the ATX supply - Success!  For the first time, I am able to get the EGPU to be recognized.  If I am late turning on the switch, I use the F5 to scan and the EGPU is immediately recognized.  Based on your Dell E4300 experience, what specific steps should I apply in Setup 1.3?  Does it make a difference if I have 2GB installed for testing? 

Finally, I do remember seeing TOLUD =3.5GB in Setup 1.3 when I had 8GB installed.  There are three MPCIE slots in the E6400, one of which is dedicated to Bluetooth. If I turn off Bluetooth in the Bios, will that have any positive impact on the size of TOLUD?

hi guys hi @Tech Inferno Fan,

i wanted to setup an egpu for my hp elitebook but got the error code 12. so i did get the diy setup 1.3 from nando to get rid of the error but i couldn't manage to do it.

first of all the hardware

hp elitebook 8470p
- i5-3320m
- 4+2 GB RAM
- intel hd graphics 4000 (no dedicated gpu built in)
- 256gb samsung 850 pro ssd
- win 10 pro 64 bit

egpu
- radeon rx480 8gb
- PE4C V3.0 (PCIe x16 Adapter) with expresscard
- dell d220p-01 psu

the tolud is under 3 gigabyte. i was able to hotplug the gpu 2 times while the system was booting up without any errors and could play games. everything worked perfectly. but i don't want to sit 20 minutes everytime hotpluging the egpu until it works. so this is where setup 1.3 comes in. unfortunately i couldn't get it working and need your help.

here are some pics with "failures" i get while setting it up. sorry for my english and thank you.

pic 1: setup 1.3 overview with its status

pic 2: warning i get if i try to test run the chainloader

pic 3: warning i get if i try to set a 36 bit endpoint in pci compaction

pic 4: error i get setting up the pci compaction (error highlighted in red)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Pr1me

4 hours ago, Pr1me said:

hi guys hi @Tech Inferno Fan,

i wanted to setup an egpu for my hp elitebook but got the error code 12. so i did get the diy setup 1.3 from nando to get rid of the error but i couldn't manage to do it.

the tolud is under 3 gigabyte. i was able to hotplug the gpu 2 times while the system was booting up without any errors and could play games. everything worked perfectly. but i don't want to sit 20 minutes everytime hotpluging the egpu until it works. so this is where setup 1.3 comes in. unfortunately i couldn't get it working and need your help.

here are some pics with "failures" i get while setting it up. sorry for my english and thank you.

pic 3: warning i get if i try to set a 36 bit endpoint in pci compaction

pic 4: error i get setting up the pci compaction (error highlighted in red)

3.jpg

4.jpg

We've found Elitebooks typically require a DSDT override to be able to use AMD or GTX9xx/GTX10xx cards due to those requiring PCI apertures > 256MB.

So first things first, do you have a 'large memory' Device Manager item in place indicative of the DSDT override working? Pls work through this thread to check: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/

Second thing is your PCI compaction with endpoint=56.25GB above failed probably because you have a non-English v:\config\devcon.txt file (run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount as admin to view) where the "PCI BUS" entry cannot be identified and skipped, but acts to exclude allocation. Pls remove the non-English PCI Bus section or PM me the file contents so I can identify what needs to be removed.

This is my project for a HP ElieteBook 8460P and a MSI GTX750 using the EXP GDC Beast with the express card.

I was able to get the OS to read that there was a NIVIDA graphic card connected to that port with out DYI eGPU but I had the Code 12 issue.

I learned about DYI eGPU through some searches. Purchased it and installed it. I believe I followed the directions but when I reboot and select the DIY eGPU 1.3 option nothing happens.

I do not go to a bios screen. I am stuck at this point.

17 minutes ago, HPSUCKS said:

This is my project for a HP ElieteBook 8460P and a MSI GTX750 using the EXP GDC Beast with the express card.

I was able to get the OS to read that there was a NIVIDA graphic card connected to that port with out DYI eGPU but I had the Code 12 issue.

I learned about DYI eGPU through some searches. Purchased it and installed it. I believe I followed the directions but when I reboot and select the DIY eGPU 1.3 option nothing happens.

I do not go to a bios screen. I am stuck at this point.

Pls run c:\eGPU\uninstall-disk-image (as admin), then re-install DIY eGPU Setup 1.30. If you still cannot bootup Setup 1.30 then pls create a USB stick install (as per supplied instructions) and test it instead.

9 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

We've found Elitebooks typically require a DSDT override to be able to use AMD or GTX9xx/GTX10xx cards due to those requiring PCI apertures > 256MB.

So first things first, do you have a 'large memory' Device Manager item in place indicative of the DSDT override working? Pls work through this thread to check: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5874-guide-dsdt-override-to-fix-error-12/

Second thing is your PCI compaction with endpoint=56.25GB above failed probably because you have a non-English v:\config\devcon.txt file (run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount as admin to view) where the "PCI BUS" entry cannot be identified and skipped, but acts to exclude allocation. Pls remove the non-English PCI Bus section or PM me the file contents so I can identify what needs to be removed.

so with the edited devcon file it is now possible to set the endpoint to 56.25GB but the gpu won't show up in the device manager. i did remove the 4GB RAM stick leavin just the 2GB in it and everything seems to work.

to use more RAM i need to do a DSDT override .... right?

edit: ZIP link for the Windows Binary Tools is down.

Edited by Pr1me

4 minutes ago, Pr1me said:

so with the edited devcon file it is now possible to set the endpoint to 56.25GB but the gpu won't show up in the device manager. i did remove the 4GB RAM stick leavin just the 2GB in it and everything seems to work.

to use more RAM i need to do a DSDT override .... right?

Yes, to use the 56.25GB endpoint requires a DSDT override to be in place as the warning message advises you when you perform such PCI compaction.

12 minutes ago, darkness1187 said:

Hi I'm a little confused on the instructions. Does my hard drive have to be MBR or can it be GUID and just have a bootable USB drive with setup on it?

Your Windows boot harddisk must be MBR for Setup 1.30 to chainload to it. Experimental attempts to boot UEFI have been unsuccessful.

Pls refer to http://www.disk-partition.com/windows-10/convert-mbr-gpt-windows-10-0528.html for a conversion process.

• admin changed the title to eGPU Setup 1.30 Discussion
  • Tech Inferno Fan pinned this topic
  • admin featured this topic
  • Tech Inferno Fan unfeatured this topic
  • Brian unpinned and locked this topic
  • Brian unlocked this topic
  • Brian locked this topic
  • Brian featured and pinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.