Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Please apply http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html to ensure you boot with an iGPU. The Macbook firmware seems to otherwise disable the iGPU and revert to using the eGPU (seemingly like a dGPU-equipped 15" Macbook Pro), which if not working correctly would lead to black screens on both.

Wow! So far - I've booted with screen on, after waiting about 2 minutes in boot menu, and I'm able to install driver now! Seems like Nando4 struck gold!

A little bit later ...

It's working flawlessly now - Just tried arma 3 with ultra graphics :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow! So far - I've booted with screen on, after waiting about 2 minutes in boot menu, and I'm able to install driver now! Seems like Nando4 struck gold!

A little bit later ...

It's working flawlessly now - Just tried arma 3 with ultra graphics :P

Great news!!

Would you mind completeing your implementation guide on the first post by including 3dmark11+13 benchmark result runs on an external LCD, some pics and the steps you needed to get it all going?

Great news!!

Would you mind completeing your implementation guide on the first post by including 3dmark11+13 benchmark result runs on an external LCD, some pics and the steps you needed to get it all going?

Yes - I will make a guide of my mistakes / errors and progress.

Nice work there. I'll add that there an even simpler way of accomplishing this. That's by creating a patched MBR that does these memory writes. You can get an idea of what's involved by reviewing this post: http://forum.techinferno.com/desktop-storage/2108-diy-adding-ssd-hdd-storage-using-optical-bay-caddy-%5Bver-2-0%5D.html#post38289

Do you have a link or tutorial for implementing ASPM fix ?

I tried the tutorial from the OP using DIY eGPU but i can't get it working :(

Does the bios version count ?

Do anyone here know if coilwine is normal ?

I did not get coilwine when this gfx was inside my PC, however I get a loud coilwine in the akitio.

At 23 sec - you can hear the benchmark change scene, and the coilwine stopping briefly. And it is NOT the fans that make this noise

Do you have a link or tutorial for implementing ASPM fix ?

I tried the tutorial from the OP using DIY eGPU but i can't get it working :(

Does the bios version count ?

Yes, bios version counts. As an aside, I don't a record of "kpyhere" acquiring the eGPU Setup software. Can you email/PM me your details. Thanks.

1: I mean reset all the settings back to default and see if your SSD shows up. That's what I had to do when I had the same problem as you. You also want to disable Intel SRT in the BIOS (I'm pretty sure there is an option in there as my BIOS is hacked)

2: My BIOS is hacked.. lol if you do a search for Asus G46VW Bios mod you can get in contact with someone who did the actual hack. I'll find his name.

were you able to fix the msata detection? I have a Patriot 128GB MSATA but neither bios (209 or 210) would recognize it when booting. I would have to disable Secure boot & fast boot, Launch CSM enabled, and enable PXE OpROM for it to detect anything, then hard shut down and reboot. but its a hassle to do that every time

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. So question... is it possible to use the internal display at all with MBP 2011 15" with a different setup? Or has noone figured that out yet.

(My MBP went through the Apply Repair Program due to the huge GPU failure lawsuit and although I'm trying to kill it again so I can get an upgrade to a 2015 MBP 15", the new logic board is prevailing -_- ...)

Awesome and thanks for sharing! So do you think any EVGA GTX 900 series graphics card would work? So if I got this right, They're the Windows graphics card and they still work on the eGPU setup? Gratitude.

Again thank you!

I found the guy =)

I'll probably come back with questions later, for now let's test the unlocked 209 and 210 BIOS, fingers crossed!

Hi were you able to get the msata to be detected? im having this problem with my g46vw not detecting my patriot pyro m3 MSATA. can you help me pls?

Again thank you!

I found the guy =)

I'll probably come back with questions later, for now let's test the unlocked 209 and 210 BIOS, fingers crossed!

Hey were you able to get the bios to recognize your Msata? im experiencing the same issue trying to boot to my msata

I have a solution to get display output from nvidia (some amds work too) egpu OSX, work with any mac i tried (not much tho, mac mini 2014 (base model) and nMP)

<strike>But not willing to share it for free. Think 20$ per user would be fine ?</strike>

As soon as I figure a way to share it, Will post somewhere.

You insert or link images if you have the direct URL to the jpg with the "insert image" button.

Really interessted in getting more details about your way.

Any chance that can become a public information? :)

<strike>That way image is way too big for this page.

Still thinking of best way to release it and get myself payed a bit for this.</strike>

A little system modification makes card work just like it does in mac pro, provided you have cuda already working.

Here, with an efi for card, it shows bootscreen also, but bootscreen isn't critical for this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.