Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

@Tech Inferno Fan: This thing will work as a substitution for a SWEX, won't it? Antminer Netzteil Schalter Bitmain Bitcoins | eBay

The SWEX is rather expensive in comparison and needs some time to get delivered. The Antminer switch is available directly from Germany. Looking at the fourth picture flipping it vertically should give the other side of the first picture and I should be able to follow your cable arrangement for the SWEX. The part that differs is the blue cable that is placed at JP1. This jumper isn't available. Where'd I put this one?

Really looking forward to do this mod. I've got some people to check the work, so I won't blow myself up :P

Ok so my diagram is correct ? I could double the barrel one. Would that be sufficient ?

@jacobsson Just found this on eBay, would that work you think ? could be plugged directly on the DA2 and only need to modify it for the barrel ? what do you think ?

Hi! Short answer: No.

Longer answer:

It appears to be a regular 6pin PCIe splitter so it can't be used with DA-2 (which have reverse polarity to the PCIe interface).

You will either need to find a female DA-2 connection (I have not been able to) or change the DA-2 connector to a PCIe 6-pin. @Tech Inferno Fan has done some great work for a power breakout board for the DA-2 that you can check out here (hands down the cleanest solution so far):

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html#post127735

@Tech Inferno Fan: This thing will work as a substitution for a SWEX, won't it? Antminer Netzteil Schalter Bitmain Bitcoins | eBay

The SWEX is rather expensive in comparison and needs some time to get delivered. The Antminer switch is available directly from Germany. Looking at the fourth picture flipping it vertically should give the other side of the first picture and I should be able to follow your cable arrangement for the SWEX. The part that differs is the blue cable that is placed at JP1. This jumper isn't available. Where'd I put this one?

Really looking forward to do this mod. I've got some people to check the work, so I won't blow myself up :P

Yes, you could use Antminer. Problem there is it looks like the tracks are routed in the middle layer so you can't cut the switch track to reroute it. The good news is:

• the switch would be connecting the pin I had with the red dot and the one next to it. Both of which become GND lines when modded so switching it on/off makes no difference.
    <br>
  • it's not necessary to add the switch. The AKiTiO powers down my GTX970 when the system is powered down.

Only negatives then of the Antminer are:

• it has a red LED assuming shows when it's powered on. That is routed somewhere. Need to do continuity checks against the proposed wiring mods here to ensure it's not going to a short circuit.
    <br>
  • there is no protective backing plate so you'd need to come up with some similar insulative solution to protect against electrocution
    <br>
  • it's bulk and (imho) not particularly good looking

Wish the SWEX had cheaper shipping. Better yet, if BPlus made a SWEX specifically for use with the Dell DA-2 as requested to make this all a lot easier.

Hi! Short answer: No.

Longer answer:

It appears to be a regular 6pin PCIe splitter so it can't be used with DA-2 (which have reverse polarity to the PCIe interface).

You will either need to find a female DA-2 connection (I have not been able to) or change the DA-2 connector to a PCIe 6-pin. @Tech Inferno Fan has done some great work for a power breakout board for the DA-2 that you can check out here (hands down the cleanest solution so far):

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9426-220w-dell-da-2-ac-adapter-discussion.html#post127735

What about if I reverse the polarity on the adaptor instead? Seems more simple to do :) What do you think ?

Yes, you could use Antminer. Problem there is it looks like the tracks are routed in the middle layer so you can't cut the switch track to reroute it. The good news is:

• the switch would be connecting the pin I had with the red dot and the one next to it. Both of which become GND lines when modded so switching it on/off makes no difference.
  • it's not necessary to add the switch. The AKiTiO powers down my GTX970 when the system is powered down.

Only negatives then of the Antminer are:

• it has a red LED assuming shows when it's powered on. That is routed somewhere. Need to do continuity checks against the proposed wiring mods here to ensure it's not going to a short circuit.
  • there is no protective backing plate so you'd need to come up with some similar insulative solution to protect against electrocution
  • it's bulk and (imho) not particularly good looking

Wish the SWEX had cheaper shipping. Better yet, if BPlus made a SWEX specifically for use with the Dell DA-2 as requested to make this all a lot easier.

Thanks for your reply. I just looked what the price was for the SWEX including shipping but $28? Nope.

Still I stumbled upon this -> 12V AC Adapter (2nd tab MK394)

It's a Dell DA-2 with a barrel plug 2.5mm x 5.5mm which fits the Akitio Thunder2(a mod by Bplus? Can't find it anywhere else even if searching for MK394, everytime it's 8 Pin output). Not really useful as 220W are way too much for the 75W the barrel plug can provide to the graphics card via PCIe slot but, and that's the point, isn't it way easier to mod?

If I'd buy a 2.5mm x 5.5mm terminal block with a jack(like this) fitting the plug of the PSU would it be safe to put in cables of a PCIe 6 pin adapter? I'd only need to power one 6 pin for now and the barrel plug I'm using already(2 12V yellow, 2 GND black coming from 2 Pins of a 4 Pin molex).

So it'd be like:

Dell DA-2 barrel plug -> terminal block jack (here we split) -> cables of 6 pin PCIe adapter into their according places in the green thingy* -> 6 pin to graphics card

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> cables of my terminal block plug into their according places in the green thingy* -> barrel jack of Thunder2.

*idk the name but apparently it's 2 pin terminal strip, it's Lüsterklemme in german :P

Using 2 or more(?) thick cables that would come from the green thingy, would I be able to split them afterwards safely as another way instead of directly putting the cables into the green thingy? They'd need to be able to carry the max. 220W safely without melting(that's my only concern for now, the rest seems to fit for me). Is this possible? I'm not knowing too much of this and the most I've got from this board while reading the Thunder2 discussion :)

I'd be willing to order one although it's somewhat more expensive than a 8 pin Dell DA-2 and the Antminer board.

As always, thanks for your help.

@w4vz: As long as you keep matching 12V (yellow) and ground (black) between PCIe and DA-2 it should be fine. Just don't mix 12V from DA-2 with ground of the PCIe plug. Get the wiring diagram of the DA-2 and the 6-Pin PCIe plug.

@jacobsson: I managed to get a 20$ Dell OPTIPLEX GX620 from eBay with the 220W PSU. I will disassemble it and only reuse the PSU and the matching plug, which is soldered to the motherboard.

How stable is it with a GTX970?

@goalque: A user made it stable DA-2 with GTX 970 by lowering the power and clock speed:

EDIT: I have just finished a 3 hour gaming session in Far Cry 3 without a single issue RJgAJZdlsYzbjOrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

i kept the clocks at 1177mhz max but upped my power limit to 90%, which produced power peaks of 98% and GPU loads of 98% (interestingly GPU-Z logs show the card has never exceeded 98% load under any test, benchmark or configuration). Temps remained constant at 75*C and fan speed never exceeded 50%.

Interestingly the Voltages averaged 1.1620, and the card spent very little time at the 1.2v max.

The DA-2 is now quite warm to the touch but has not tripped into protection mode, making me think it is overcurrent or overvoltage protection that is the issue, not thermal.

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8304-gtx970-dell-da-2-test-results.html

Here is a german website, modding a GTX 970 to use less than 130W with just 9% performance drop and much better cooling. Also the load on the PCIe slot is reduced be lower than 75W (eliminating the spikes):

(To make it work in OSX we should think about modding the GPUs BIOS)

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.de%2Fhtpc-gtx970-modding-cool-quiet%2Ctestberichte-241708.html&edit-text=

Thanks for your reply. I just looked what the price was for the SWEX including shipping but $28? Nope.

Still I stumbled upon this -> 12V AC Adapter (2nd tab MK394)

It's a Dell DA-2 with a barrel plug 2.5mm x 5.5mm which fits the Akitio Thunder2(a mod by Bplus? Can't find it anywhere else even if searching for MK394, everytime it's 8 Pin output). Not really useful as 220W are way too much for the 75W the barrel plug can provide to the graphics card via PCIe slot but, and that's the point, isn't it way easier to mod?

I would not use the barrel-ended Dell DA-2. That would be running up to 220-240W down that single barrel wire from which you'd fan out wires. That then becomes a massive point of failure.

Furthermore, the big point about using a Dell DA-2 is many of our users with a PE4C V2.1 or EXP GDC will have a 8-pin Dell DA-2 and possibly a SWEX hanging around, as I did, and could re-use it with an AKiTiO using the mods in this thread.

If don't have a Dell DA-2 then then why not a PSU that's affordable and easier to work with? Something like the US$25.39-shipped 240W 12V adapter at AC to DC12V Power Supply Adapter 10A 20A 30A Transformer for 3528 5050 LED Strip | eBay , with easily accessible terminals and just wire it up?

I would not use the barrel-ended Dell DA-2. That would be running up to 220-240W down that single barrel wire from which you'd fan out wires. That then becomes a massive point of failure.

Furthermore, the big point about using a Dell DA-2 is many of our users with a PE4C V2.1 or EXP GDC will have a 8-pin Dell DA-2 and possibly a SWEX hanging around, as I did, and could re-use it with an AKiTiO using the mods in this thread.

If don't have a Dell DA-2 then then why not a PSU that's affordable and easier to work with? Something like the US$25.39-shipped 240W 12V adapter at AC to DC12V Power Supply Adapter 10A 20A 30A Transformer for 3528 5050 LED Strip | eBay , with easily accessible terminals and just wire it up?

What kind of failure do you mean? Loss of power? Unstable behaviour under load? What exactly might happen or be a problem?

I understand your point of people already owning the DA-2 instead of buying it for the mod.

To this point I didn't know about those transformers but those models are more or less exact available on german ebay so I could give that a shot. The nice thing about the DA-2 was the casing though. Those transformers don't look good the way they are although they're handy to use.

What kind of failure do you mean? Loss of power? Unstable behaviour under load? What exactly might happen or be a problem?

You linked the barrel-ended Dell DA-2 that BPlus sold. I actually advised them to revert to the 8-pin ended Dell DA-2 since it's far more accessible which they then did in the PE4C V2.1.

From my perpective the barrel-ended Dell DA-2 is not useful for modding purposes. Who is crazy enough to try to fan out 220-240W from that barrel end? There's your single point of failure there. The 8-pin Dell DA-2 makes a lot more sense since you've got 3x 12V pins and 3x GND pins to fan out from. Besides, as you point out it's only BPlus that seems to have that barrel-ended Dell DA-2 too so you'd be paying a premium for a product that is worse for modding purposes than the cheaper 8-pin ended Dell DA-2.

You linked the barrel-ended Dell DA-2 that BPlus sold. I actually advised them to revert to the 8-pin ended Dell DA-2 since it's far more accessible which they then did in the PE4C V2.1.

From my perpective the barrel-ended Dell DA-2 is not useful for modding purposes. Who is crazy enough to try to fan out 220-240W from that barrel end? There's your single point of failure there. The 8-pin Dell DA-2 makes a lot more sense since you've got 3x 12V pins and 3x GND pins to fan out from. Besides, as you point out it's only BPlus that seems to have that barrel-ended Dell DA-2 too so you'd be paying a premium for a product that is worse for modding purposes than the cheaper 8-pin ended Dell DA-2.

Alright, like I wrote I don't really have knowledge about electric stuff so that's why im asking so often. Apparently it seemed too good and easy to be usable :)

Thanks for your explanation.

• Thumbs Up 1

How stable is it?

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-pc/6858-14-asus-g46vw-gtx670%4010gbps-tb1-thundertek-3d-enclosure-%5Bjacobsson%5D.html#post93872

"I'm currently investigating why the DA-2 is shutting down cold during Metro:LL and Sky Diver Demo"

I haven't really solved the issues yet, I changed to an ATX PSU atm. I might do some modifications to the TB-board in order to stabalize the power. @Tech Inferno Fan on the other hand has a perfectly stable GTX970 + Akitio + DA-2 implementation that you guys should check out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Prompt what better to take EXP GDC Вeast V7.0 or PE4C V2.1 Laptop Dell Inspiron 7720?

Interface connection - PCI-E

ОС: Windows 8.1 Professional x64

BIOS: Phoenix

Chipset: Intel Panther Point HM77, Intel Ivy Bridge

CPU: Mobile QuadCore Intel Core i7-3630QM, 3200 MHz (32 x 100)

IGP: Intel HD Graphics 4000

GP: nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (2 GB)

RAM: 8 GB

Monitor: CMN N173HGE (Dell HDKPV) [17.3" LCD]

[h=2][/h]

Hello Friends,

I have a late 2013
27 inch model and has a 1GB
. I would like to add external
using a Akitio or Sonnet thunderbolt expansion box. I want to be on Mac osx. I am a newbie and would like your ideas & help in doing this. Thanks a lot in advance and awaiting your responses.

Regards,

Kedar.

Thanks for the help so far.

I got it all up and running.. But I have a problem.

My Thinkpad w520 recognizes the card, and I can install drivers for it, and it shows up in device manager. but it seams that the system still wants to run the Discrete or the internal gfx card. I tried disable the internal card, no luck. I also uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers.

Nvidia control panel tells me "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

What can I do?

EDIT: Seams i replied in the wrong threat...

@rgpu , started a new thread with your implementation. Would you mind including some photos as well as 3dmark11, 3dmark13 and 3dmark06 benchmark runs with your gear? Then I can add you at the appropriate place in the leaderboard at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.