Setup 1.30 Discussion

eGPU Enthusiast

Hi Guys!

I'm new to this forum and very interested in building my own eGPU for my Macbook Pro Retina (13 inch, Late 2013, 8 GB RAM, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD).

From what I read here in this forum, the most affordable solution is by using the Akitio Thunder2 PCIe enclosure, and it seems to work rather well.

I also got a good insight in the different issues you have to face, but some questions did still remain unanswered.

I want to use the eGPU predominantly for video editing with FCP X or Davinci Resolve.

Which Card?

• How is the compability of the different Cards under OS X? I see many people here use the Akitio with the GTX 970 which is as far as I know not officially supported OS X. How risky is it then to buy a card that is not officially supported, and can you even make every thing work like OpenCL, CUDA and thing like that?
  • How big is the actual performance gain when using a more powerful card like the GTX 760 compared to the GTC 750 TI, since the bottleneck is the Thunderbolt connection which only makes 20 GB/s?
  • Do you think the GTX 750 TI or GTX 760 would be a good choice? What card would you suggest for my editing purposes?

Power Supply:

The last big question is the power supply in the Akitio: Officially it is meant to deliver a max. power of 25W to the PCIe port, but it seems that it can drive a GTX 750 ti without Riser. Does anybody know if this is stable or which damage could exactly be caused? I'm not an electrician, but if it can deliver the power, what could happen to it?

Then, if you use a card like the GTX 760, which has it's own 8pin (or 6pin?) power supply, has anyone measured how much it still draws at max. from the PCIe slot, or does anyone know any limit for sure? Because, in theory you wouldn't need a PCIe-Riser neither, an you could plug the card directly into the PCIe slot.

Thank you very much in advance!

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking me to do.

Can you re-start a new "Which TB2 Macbooks allow monitors to be used on eGPUs in OSX?" thread with the content below. I'll then post a reply of all the pertinent replies posted in your original thread, quoted by owner. Thanks!

---

Still the same, external monitor is not detected with a Mid 2014 15" MBPr Iris Pro only on OS X. However, the GPU is detected under system report, so CUDA calculation might be possible.

I can now report that I am able to make this combo output to at least 1 external display in OSX. If I see the bootscreens show up on external display, all is well. I only played with this for short time using an external USB drive. If the bootscreens showed up on internal display I would only get black on external. Oddly, I could not enter proper clamshell mode, not sure if due to external boot drive or what.

i can confirm that both eEFI GTX680 4GB and GTX780 6GB functioned identically. Using a GTX980 Mac Edition EFI for cMP DID NOT SHOW BOOTSCREENS AND NEVER ALLOWED EXTERNAL DISPLAY.

i think someone should track which TB2 Macs are allowing eGPU with display in OSX. We will need to find common denominator, possibility there is a blacklist buried in drivers somewhere to keep displays from initializing if they weren't announced at EFI boot.

will post screen shots when I can get HD connected to a machine on Internet.

Well as for me I don't think my topic was helpful anymore. The notebook I have has (maybe) some manufacture problem... It works but still unable to toggle the pcie gen2 speed on GPP port... (that annoys me) Thanks Tech Inferno Fan for your support...

Im very lostand confused right now.

So, I have been able to get the egpu recognized in device manager with noerrors but the amd drivers wont install because there is "no amd hardwaredetected". I have got it to run momentarily in heaven benchmark but wasstopped by a system hang. I tried to fix using the 12v jumper on the pe4h 2.4bbut still the same issue. I was also getting bsod withthread_stuck_in_device_driver but that has stopped.

Im really unsure of where to find answers can anyone point me in the rightdirection or help me out?

Another question - I was just looking at the box for the AKiTiO and it appears to state that it has a "4 lane PCI Express 2.0 compliant interface at 5.0Gbps" (see picture below). Does this mean that a GPU attached to the AKiTiO board is only going to get 5Gbps of throughput regardless of the 16Gbps capacity of Thunderbolt 2? In other words, does this mean that there's no functional difference between using the AKiTiO with a TB1 port and a TB2 port? Could it also mean that you can daisy-chain up to three AKiTiO units together without maxing out TB2's bandwidth? For me, for example, benchmarking 13'' MBP (with TB2) against my base model 11'' MBA (with TB1) produces identical results.

post-31913-14494999055023_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I am really in a dilemma here. My only motive for the Egpu is to play pc games only on the MAC BOOK'S internal display with retina resolution and ultra settings.

I have read that gtx 970 is capable of playing games at 2560x1440p with decent FPS. so what should i buy for my egpu built. is GTX 970 would be enough powerful to let me play "Latest Games" like FarCry 4 at native "Retina Resolution" with "Ultra" (maxed out) settings. if you have any egpu setup with akitio and gtx 970, would you please show me the benchmarks of your system at 2560x1600 resolution. i would really appreciate it if any of you can provide different benchmarks at 2560x1600 resolution.

"FYI: I have 2014 retina macbook pro 15.4" iris only with 2 GHz cpu (3.2 GHz Turbo) and akitio thunder 2 pcie box"

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

Hi,

I am really in a dilemma here. My only motive for the Egpu is to play pc games only on the MAC BOOK'S internal display with retina resolution and ultra settings.

I have read that gtx 970 is capable of playing games at 2560x1440p with decent FPS. so what should i buy for my egpu built. is GTX 970 would be enough powerful to let me play "Latest Games" like FarCry 4 at native "Retina Resolution" with "Ultra" (maxed out) settings. if you have any egpu setup with akitio and gtx 970, would you please show me the benchmarks of your system at 2560x1600 resolution. i would really appreciate it if any of you can provide different benchmarks at 2560x1600 resolution.

"FYI: I have 2014 retina macbook pro 15.4" iris only with 2 GHz cpu (3.2 GHz Turbo) and akitio thunder 2 pcie box"

Hi,

Hi,

Hi,

Hi Evo,

I have read that gtx 970 is capable of playing games at 2560x1440p with decent FPS. so what should i buy for my egpu built. is GTX 970 would be enough powerful to let me play "Latest Games" like FarCry 4 at native "Retina Resolution" with "Ultra" (maxed out) settings. if you have any egpu setup with akitio and gtx 970, would you please show me the benchmarks of your system using "Optimus internal screen at 2560x1600 or retina resolution". i would really appreciate it if any of you can provide different benchmarks at 2560x1600 resolution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.