[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

Hey guys!

Just a heads up for those facing black screen (with mouse cursor) upon reboot. I tried all combinations in win8.1 and the only that worked was:

PremaV2+dedicated (latest drivers)

Somehow optimus has decided to stop working altogether on my current setup.... Whatever driver I use, i get the black screens....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 03/02/2016 at 5:38 AM, thegh0sts said:

any modded INFs for that?

Quick question which I already asked in the past...

If you download a small software called WinMerge which basically compares 2 text files line by line, the only differences in the Optimus inf files are the ones related to adding the HW ID of the 9xxm GPUs while the Dedicated inf files, also show one or two differences related to audio or 3D drivers I think (nv_disp.inf)

Is there any point to wait for a modded driver anymore (if one is comfortable modding his own drivers of course)? The one exception I think is the 353 Peg Mod which had a big list of differences if I remember correctly.

Well it's not exactly rocket science and I didn't learn it on my own. There is a very detailed topic on the subject on these forums and like I said, a tool like WinMerge can show exactly what is being added to the drivers.

Practically nothing is changed, aside from adding the hardware ID of the GPU you're using.

I don't see how you could ruin a system if you're just copy pasting a hardware ID. 

I wouldn't call this being "experienced". You need to be careful sure. 

I was only asking that question to make sure I am not missing something. I've never faced a single problem modding my own drivers (following J95's advices and tutorials).

GeForce 361.82 HF

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
    Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package,  run setup.exe  

-> Keep these folders only <-

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v361.82

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Updated PEG MODs v353.00 Win8.1 & v352.84  Win10

GeForce 361.82 Win 7/8.1

GeForce 361.82 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v361.82_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.82_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v361.82_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.82_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, lol_xxx said:

I wouldn't recommend editing drivers by yourself if you don't really have enough experience.

exactly! that's why you do them. the old addage of "it's not what you know, it's who you know" still applies!

EDIT: gave the 361.82 drivers a go and i got a black screen on booting into windows. went away by closing the lid. reverted back to 361.75 and no issues.

not sure if it's something i screwed up with the driver mod or it has issues with prema's v2 980M vbios?!?!

Edited by thegh0sts

3 hours ago, thegh0sts said:

exactly! that's why you do them. the old addage of "it's not what you know, it's who you know" still applies!

EDIT: gave the 361.82 drivers a go and i got a black screen on booting into windows. went away by closing the lid. reverted back to 361.75 and no issues.

not sure if it's something i screwed up with the driver mod or it has issues with prema's v2 980M vbios?!?!

I'm using @Prema's "throttling fix" older test vBIOS, so I can't install 361.xx drivers.

-  Delete unnecessary folders as shown above. Optionally, install GFE later on.

- Re-extract driver package, copy/overwrite nvdmi.inf instead.

nvdmi.inf_v361.82_Win10_PEG_Dedicate.zip

5 minutes ago, J95 said:

I'm using @Prema's throttling fix older test vBIOS, so I can't install 361.xx drivers.

-  Delete unnecessary folders as shown above. Optionally, install GFE later on.

- Re-extract driver package, copy/overwrite nvdmi.inf instead.

nvdmi.inf_v361.82_Win10_PEG_Dedicate.zip

Cool, i'll give it a try later...i got work in the morning :P

18 hours ago, thegh0sts said:

Didn't work again....still getting a black screen on booting into win 10. closing and opening the screen fixes it.T

Try setting the refresh rate to 60Hz before uninstalling drivers. Don't use DDU, instead uninstall under "Programs & Features" (nvdmi.inf)...361.75 try also a dirty install (nv_dispi.inf).

1 minute ago, J95 said:

Try setting the refresh rate to 60Hz before uninstalling drivers. Run DDU and install drivers using nvdmi.inf.

OK, i'm getting a bit tired so will try again later...still strange i can uninstall the 361.75 driver and it works.

On 2/4/2016 at 0:48 PM, J95 said:

GeForce 361.82 HF

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
    Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package,  run setup.exe  

-> Keep these folders only <-

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v361.82

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Updated PEG MODs v353.00 Win8.1 & v352.84  Win10

GeForce 361.82 Win 7/8.1

GeForce 361.82 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v361.82_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.82_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v361.82_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.82_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

I'm still pretty new at this and don't dare proceed till I ask some questions.  I have a M18xR2 with a GTX980m I bought from woodstacks, I've already flashed over to prema's v2 vbios (after backing up the stock one that came with it) but have questions about installing this driver.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip <---- I assume I download the main driver from Nvidia's site for the 980m and match your driver version then extract it right?

This is what I had before playing with this

Display device : GeForce GTX 980M on GM204-A GPU
Display driver : 347.25
BIOS : 84.04.22.00.12

My temps look good as far as I can tell, they float around 75-76c , I'm using Fujipoly 16w/mk on everything but the memory and I'm also using GC-Extreme thermal paste. When playing GTA V under load I get a  hard lock randomly, the video just freezes completely, I can hear people in teamspeak, I can talk to them but I have to hard power the system down before I can use the system again. I'm open for suggestions and help if anyone can help get me running, I'd really like to use this 980m it would bring my M18xr2 back to life for a while. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, and I've been steering clear of evga precision etc after reading about all the bricked displays.

I have the newest driver loaded on, should gpu z show my gpu core clock and memory cranked up all the time? I'm also seeing some major throttling going on when I run a benchmark on the gpu core and the memory clock.

Edited by 82280zx

3 hours ago, 82280zx said:

I'm still pretty new at this and don't dare proceed till I ask some questions.  I have a M18xR2 with a GTX980m I bought from woodstacks, I've already flashed over to prema's v2 vbios (after backing up the stock one that came with it) but have questions about installing this driver.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip <---- I assume I download the main driver from Nvidia's site for the 980m and match your driver version then extract it right?

This is what I had before playing with this

Display device : GeForce GTX 980M on GM204-A GPU
Display driver : 347.25
BIOS : 84.04.22.00.12

My temps look good as far as I can tell, they float around 75-76c , I'm using Fujipoly 16w/mk on everything but the memory and I'm also using GC-Extreme thermal paste. When playing GTA V under load I get a  hard lock randomly, the video just freezes completely, I can hear people in teamspeak, I can talk to them but I have to hard power the system down before I can use the system again. I'm open for suggestions and help if anyone can help get me running, I'd really like to use this 980m it would bring my M18xr2 back to life for a while. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, and I've been steering clear of evga precision etc after reading about all the bricked displays.

75-76 is very hot for a 980m. With GC Extreme I get personally sub-40 temperatures on idle and a max of 67-68 when gaming/benchmarking. I also a use a cooling pad: the notepal U3.

You might want to reapply the paste as even without the cooling pad my temps will never go as high as mid-70s...

8 minutes ago, nick81 said:

75-76 is very hot for a 980m. With GC Extreme I get personally sub-40 temperatures on idle and a max of 67-68 when gaming/benchmarking. I also a use a cooling pad: the notepal U3.

You might want to reapply the paste as even without the cooling pad my temps will never go as high as mid-70s...

How much pressure did you put on the heatsink when screwing it down? I'm paranoid about tightening it to much, I don't want to squish the paste out the sides of the chip, at one point when I had it applied the highest I seen it get was maybe 71? Also what vbios and drivers are you using if you don't mind me asking, and whats your voltages look like under gpu z?

Edited by 82280zx

22 hours ago, 82280zx said:

How much pressure did you put on the heatsink when screwing it down? I'm paranoid about tightening it to much, I don't want to squish the paste out the sides of the chip, at one point when I had it applied the highest I seen it get was maybe 71? Also what vbios and drivers are you using if you don't mind me asking, and whats your voltages look like under gpu z?

You shouldn't apply too much pressure when placing the heatsink. Pros suggest you leave at least 1-2mm margin for each screw. I believe this was to avoid warping which will actually INCREASE the gap between the heatsink and the GPU die...

As for the info you asked me about:

- VBIOS: prema v2

- Driver: 361.75 (peg dedicated modded inf by j95 posted above)

- Stock clocks and voltage (~0.85 right now in GPUz, core clock of 135 and mem clock of 162, with idle temp of 34)

16 hours ago, nick81 said:

You shouldn't apply too much pressure when placing the heatsink. Pros suggest you leave at least 1-2mm margin for each screw. I believe this was to avoid warping which will actually INCREASE the gap between the heatsink and the GPU die...

- Stock clocks and voltage (~0.85 right now in GPUz, core clock of 135 and mem clock of 162, with idle temp of 34)

I reapplied the paste again last night and I hardly put any pressure on it at all, it seems to have helped but I'm still not near as low as you are. I tried out prema v2 vbios last night and I'm still running on older drivers I think its 347.25 due to the throttle issue I was seeing. ( I don't think I installed the peg dedicated drivers right so I went back to 347.25). I had no hard locks ups last night while playing, most of the time my temps was 68c but there was odd moments (mainly idle moments in gta V that I seen my temps go as high as 77c?) also when trying Ark Evolved I seen my temps hit 78c so I stopped, everything seems stable though but I don't want to run it hot, you should download FFXIV Heavensward benchmark and run it on extreme and see what your temps are, are you running a M18XR2 as well or which laptop are you running? I wonder if your cooling system is better than mine.

Edited by 82280zx

On 2016/2/8 at 8:45 PM, nick81 said:

idle temp of 34? Ur GPU runs super cool, mine idle is around 55. How u did it?

• J95 pinned this topic