[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

GeForce 365.10

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
      Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers

• Run DDU "Clean & Shutdown (Safe Mode)
  • Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder,  copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package,  run setup.exe  

-> Keep these folders only <-

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v365.10

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Updated throttle free PEG MODs GTX 980M/970M

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_11_v353.00.txt

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win10 - Full_Profiles_7_v352.84.txt

GeForce 365.10 Win 7/8.1
GeForce 365.10 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v365.10_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v365.10_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v365.10_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v365.10_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 5

Wanted to post an update on the M18XR2, I'm currently using the latest graphics driver provided by @J95 and I am using the new bios mod provided by @Swick1981 I changed over to Windows 7 64 bit, am running SVL vbios, and am not using the PEG Mod (nvidia inspector). Zero Throttle on Catzilla and my FFXIV benchmark where as I was seeing alot of it in Windows 10. I am running a 980m I bought from Woodstacks over at Notebookreview.

11 hours ago, 82280zx said:

Wanted to post an update on the M18XR2, I'm currently using the latest graphics driver provided by @J95 and I am using the new bios mod provided by @Swick1981 I changed over to Windows 7 64 bit, am running SVL vbios, and am not using the PEG Mod (nvidia inspector). Zero Throttle on Catzilla and my FFXIV benchmark where as I was seeing alot of it in Windows 10. I am running a 980m I bought from Woodstacks over at Notebookreview.

Throttling is more frequent with SLI configs, It would be very good if 980M SLI setups are free from throttle too. I think I'll have time this weekend to test Win7 legacy install to test this theory.

Hello J95, 

It seems your quite the busy modder on this forum, and the golden goose.

I am in the process of preparing for a gpu switch in my M17xR3 from a 6970m to a GTX 780m 4gb.

I have already done a clean re-install of windows 10 with the old 6970m completely removed from the system, so no lingering drivers hanging around. only the onboard graphics (intel hd 3000)

everything in windows is working correctly, drivers, programs, etc with no problems. have osd and command center installed.   Did not install intel rapid storage (due to the fact it keep asking me to replace the sata controllers with old ones) Should I? (480gb ssd main drive/ 1tb 7200 rpm mass storage hdd) and flashed to the A12 unlocked bios with sata tweek.

Was wondering if there is a premade modded driver or do i have to edit them specific to my machine? (was hoping there was already a pre-modded driver i could just download and use)

Seems alot of people are already using 780m's in M17xR3's so what hoping to benefit from that...

Thanks in advance for any assistance or insite you can give

Edited by BDogg464

5 hours ago, Tulius said:

Throttling is more frequent with SLI configs, It would be very good if 980M SLI setups are free from throttle too. I think I'll have time this weekend to test Win7 legacy install to test this theory.

Well I'm using a GTX980M SLI setup...... and can confirm that on my M18X-R2 with swicks bios, premas v2 vbios, win7 64bit and the 365.10 drivers and using the pharos sirius dungeon in FFXIV where I get alot of throttling that I can confirm that with 365.10 drivers and the setup above there is zero I repeat ZERO throttling whatsoever. GPU-Z doesnt detect even a hint of perfcap issues and im maxing out on max settings and no FPS cap a 96% average load and 80~81'C temps on the 2 cards. This config works with nothing more than the modded drivers themselves installed!

Edited by Infini
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Infini said:

Well I'm using a GTX980M SLI setup...... and can confirm that on my M18X-R2 with swicks bios, premas v2 vbios, win7 64bit and the 365.10 drivers and using the pharos sirius dungeon in FFXIV where I get alot of throttling that I can confirm that with 365.10 drivers and the setup above there is zero I repeat ZERO throttling whatsoever. GPU-Z doesnt detect even a hint of perfcap issues and im maxing out on max settings and no FPS cap a 96% average load and 80~81'C temps on the 2 cards. This config works with nothing more than the modded drivers themselves installed!

Are you using Clevo or Alienware version 2 of Prema BIOS? Are you need to use HWInfo64 to 2nd gpu fan to work?  If not how many C temperature gpu reaches at full load?

Sweet glad to hear other people having success as well :) I still use hwinfo64 and just disable the battery monitoring because it keeps my temps around 70c, so your working good in sli? I might have to pick up a second card if this keeps working. Also are you in Legacy Mode? I wonder if the problem is with UEFI mode... I might try Windows 10 on Legacy Mode just to see it it continues to work.

Happy to report Windows 10 64 bit is working with no throttle issues! I'm using LEGACY mode, so it seems the issue is in UEFI is my best guess, only way to confirm it is to reinstall with UEFI.

Edited by 82280zx
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, godfafa said:

Wow very good news here.

If the throttle was due to UEFI, it really makes sense.

@82280zx Have you tried tests after several power drain too?

Haven't seen any power throttles whatsoever in about all the games I've played so far, runs smooth been keeping an eye on gpuz as well. I haven't tried any power drains yet? What are you referring to if I may ask?

Just now, 82280zx said:

Haven't seen any power throttles whatsoever in about all the games I've played so far, runs smooth been keeping an eye on gpuz as well. I haven't tried any power drains yet? What are you referring to if I may ask?

Can you try to remove your AC power from the back of your laptop and after 10 sec put it again.

And then see what happen, see if there is still no throttle.

I am asking you because the throttle did not always happened but after this kind of power drain, it started to happen.

7 minutes ago, godfafa said:

Can you try to remove your AC power from the back of your laptop and after 10 sec put it again.

And then see what happen, see if there is still no throttle.

I am asking you because the throttle did not always happened but after this kind of power drain, it started to happen.

Did a power drain while it was running for at least 30+ seconds, plugged it back in and am not seeing any throttles.

Do you want me to test it while its not plugged in? or pull the power on it while its benching? Not sure if I did what you wanted.

Just now, 82280zx said:

Did a power drain while it was running for at least 30+ seconds, plugged it back in and am not seeing any throttles.

Thanks alot buddy.

Oh i need one for myself.. for my m17x R4 :(

Oh

4 minutes ago, 82280zx said:

Do you want me to test it while its not plugged in? or pull the power on it while its benching? Not sure if I did what you wanted.

Did you have throttle with the newest driver before? when using UEFI ?

The reason of throttle might have been UEFI, as you've mentioned, or maybe driver?

When you have time, you can try legacy + old driver (that you've experienced throttle).

8 minutes ago, godfafa said:

Oh

The reason of throttle might have been UEFI, as you've mentioned, or maybe driver?

When you have time, you can try legacy + old driver (that you've experienced throttle).

With this same driver I'm running, I had throttle problems in Windows 10 64 bit but I was running in UEFI and the previous ones throttled only on certain games but it would throttle, I see a huge change in my benchmarks and gpuz running in Legacy mode vs uefi. I say same driver because I backed it up, and used the same one again, its the one provided here by @J95 on this page :), I'm only running the modified driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, godfafa said:

Oh

I've a backup image of my win10 64bit uefi install to restore once Ive finished patching up my windows 7 installation and safely backed it up with the latest driver installed. I can retest later on when im free.

Well all was fine and dandy till I tried it out today... I wonder if its a windows update that is screwing us over? I'm gonna do a bit of digging for a while, I want to know whats doing this to us.

I feel we probably shouldn't hijack @J95 's thread, we are looking for the throttle problem over here at notebookreview, http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m18xr2-new-updated-bios-mods-now-with-maxwell-legacy-support-testers-needed.789322/page-47

Apologies on the thread hijack, just been trying to help :)

Edited by 82280zx

On 03/05/2016 at 9:52 AM, 82280zx said:

Hey buddy just wanted to ask how you went about flashing the BIOS? I looked on the thread and there was no guide for a noob like me lol... Do you need to take the 980 cards out? 

The thorrtling issue seems to working with a small procedure. It seems to have worked for me and one more user. Please read our comments on the post at notebookreview at the link provided by 82280zx above and report findings.

Edited by jerryzago

• J95 pinned this topic