[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

Install the OSD and HD Intel graphics. Then Hit Fn+F5, that should stick you in dedicated mode, thats when you would want to do the windows 10 installation, or disable DSE and use a modified driver to install the 980M. Check your hardware ID in device manager to see whats what.. it should even have changed it's ID. (I think it does that, right, when you switch ..like 05AA to 05AE sometimes etc...)

On 1/15/2016 at 5:56 PM, Infini said:

Gonna ask this but M18Xr2 and Windows 10: Whats the story on this, has anyone been 8 beeped since they narrowed down the EDID issue to the the EVGA precision software? My system is still under warrenty atm for another lil while though ive heard confusing reports about microsoft terminating windows 8.1 security patches as early as may. Finally with a lil help from Prema managed to get my system working fully stable with the semi newest drivers (most until now unstable since 350.12) but while I would like to use windows 10 out of consistency I wanna be at least reasonably sure that it doesnt brick on me outside my warrenty. My system initially had windows 10 installed until i rolled back due to instablility issues with nvidia drivers.

Also noticed this

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3832

361.60 version drivers. Anyone tested these yet to see if they correct for the issues with the 980M's crashing that mrfox reported earlier?

In respects to the EDID corruption you're never going to get a specific answer because nobody really knows the Origin, the "thing" that's actually allowed this to happen. EVGA Precission X does trigger the EDID corruption (well it has a good history) but Precission x has been around for a long time and it's only until 10 come along when this whole EDID corruption started to happen. Theory is and I'm open for correction that Windows 10 introduced a driver.. can't remember the name but it accesses the same bus T456 (may have got the username a little wrong) used to re-flash the edid therefor it seems they've opened a door and software like precission x now seems to flick the switch. 

I had an M18X R2, installed windows 10 and then stumbled across Mr. Foxes thread, reverted to 8 and installed all drivers, afterburner and rivatuner, nvinspector disabled updates and the m18x still lives, I'd say if you avoid the typical trigers (EVGA) and some of the others don't worry.. if it happens it happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, huangsj said:

Thank so much j95. 

It totally fixed the throttling problems I was having.

You rock!

@ALL please try Full_Profiles_6_v353.00.txt  -> GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Latest profiles

• PEG MOD v353.00 installed
  • NV Inspector -> Driver Profile Settings -> Import User Defined Profiles -> Import (replace) all driver profiles (Nvidia text format) -> Full_Profiles_6_v353.00.txt
  • NV Inspector -> restore current profile to Nvidia defaults -> reboot
  • NVCPL -> Manage 3D settings -> Set High Performance etc...

Report back, I'll update win 10 PEG MOD accordingly.

Full_Profiles_6_v353.00.txt.zip

@J95 - What's the best drivers currently for a stock 970m please? on firestrike I'm getting 6163 tops and I can't work out why :/ I currently have 359.06 running PEG

Just DDU'd installed 353 applied full profiles 6 with nvinspector and my score increased from 6163 to 6580 :)

Another Update - nvlddmkm stopped responding twice in the past 20 minutes. I only have Chrome running, Steam open (nothing playing) and FRAPS open doing nothing. Not sure if it may be software causing the crash or the nvidia driver itself. 

Edited by MrSweet1991
More Information

why are the 361,xx breaking with Prema's vbios mod?

On 1/26/2016 at 0:40 PM, descent said:

I recently started trying to update my Alienware 17 (march 2014) with a GTX 980m.  I read through the process of installing it and had no problems doing so, but I cannot for the life of me get my computer to boot in dedicated graphics mode.  I've taken out the battery, CMOS battery, held down the power button, and booted only in an UFEI environment.  

I've searched for an unlocked bios that would allow it to boot up so that I can attempt to use the proper drivers, but no success.

I'm using Windows 10 x64.

Bios version A14.

Is there anyone that has been through this process that can offer any help?  

Thanks in advance.

I can tell you right now that THERE IS NO UNLOCKED BIOS....simply because the bios for this model requires them to be digitally signed.

Edited by thegh0sts

On 1/27/2016 at 8:51 PM, MrSweet1991 said:

@J95 - What's the best drivers currently for a stock 970m please? on firestrike I'm getting 6163 tops and I can't work out why :/ I currently have 359.06 running PEG

Just DDU'd installed 353 applied full profiles 6 with nvinspector and my score increased from 6163 to 6580 :)

Another Update - nvlddmkm stopped responding twice in the past 20 minutes. I only have Chrome running, Steam open (nothing playing) and FRAPS open doing nothing. Not sure if it may be software causing the crash or the nvidia driver itself. 

Stock clocks?

Chrome version? Chrome advanced settings, system: uncheck HW acceleration and background apps, restart chrome.

Try Full_Profiles_7_v353.00.txt...remember to restore Nvidia defaults before rebooting.

On 1/28/2016 at 5:09 AM, thegh0sts said:

why are the 361,xx breaking with Prema's vbios mod?

I can tell you right now that THERE IS NO UNLOCKED BIOS....simply because the bios for this model requires them to be digitally signed.

Not the mod but older vBIOS versions, including desktop cards.

Yes svl7's AW17 R1...many times he offered to send pre-programmed BIOS chips for both AW17 & AW18 but nobody had enough cojones/huevos back then. "ENTHUSIASTS"...:baby:

- - - Updated - - -

Updated both PEG MODs

GeForce 353.00 PEG MOD Win7/8.1 - Full_Profiles_8_v353.00.txt

GeForce 352.84 PEG MOD Win 10 - Full_Profiles_3_v352.84.txt

Is this "Full_Profiles_7_v353.00.txt" related for 361.75 drivers? Because the game Rise of Tomb Raider isn't working with SLI yet.  Is there someone with nvidia inspector profiles for this game to work in SLI?

What's happening with the all 361.xx drivers?? I modded myself the 361.75 nvidia drivers but since 361.xx version launched, it seems impossible to install on a M18X-R2... first it reboots before video driver is complete and then refuses to install any component in the driver.

I'm using the same SLI config(nv inspector) of 2013 Tomb Raider on Rise of Tomb Raider... now the SLI kinda works but only using 64% of each gpu, not gaining any more than 5 fps comparing to one gpu using 99% usage. ps: using 353.00 drivers

Just found an excellent sli profile for Rise of Tomb Raider, now it works all gpus really well. I'm playing at 60fps at 2560x1080p at maximum config on my M18X-R2

ROTTR[possible-SLI-Variant].zip

Edited by Tulius

The 35x.xx series past 350.12 hasnt been the best for me. DX11 on FFXIV for example on the 359.12 drivers is triggering a 5 second throttle under certain areas of that game. Doesnt happen on DX9 tho. As for the 361.xx series so far they seem to be the buggiest yet from reports. Has been quite a few gripes with drivers coming from nvidia for the last year or so they seem to be making a bollocks of it big time. I'd be using 350.12 if they were for windows 10 but earliest are 352.84 and I gave them a try last night only to find that they not only trigger the throttle but the clocks get stuck at low speed with em! XD

On 1/28/2016 at 4:01 AM, Tulius said:

Is this "Full_Profiles_7_v353.00.txt" related for 361.75 drivers? Because the game Rise of Tomb Raider isn't working with SLI yet.  Is there someone with nvidia inspector profiles for this game to work in SLI?

What's happening with the all 361.xx drivers?? I modded myself the 361.75 nvidia drivers but since 361.xx version launched, it seems impossible to install on a M18X-R2... first it reboots before video driver is complete and then refuses to install any component in the driver.

I'm using the same SLI config(nv inspector) of 2013 Tomb Raider on Rise of Tomb Raider... now the SLI kinda works but only using 64% of each gpu, not gaining any more than 5 fps comparing to one gpu using 99% usage. ps: using 353.00 drivers

Just found an excellent sli profile for Rise of Tomb Raider, now it works all gpus really well. I'm playing at 60fps at 2560x1080p at maximum config on my M18X-R2

ROTTR[possible-SLI-Variant].zip

How do you use the file?

7 hours ago, nickisnoob10 said:

How do you use the file?

Unpack the .rar and use the .nip file in Nvidia Inspector -> Import profile.   This is a very good sli config for Rise of Tob Raider

I'm sending the mod for 361.75 drivers(win 8.1 PEG) for who is interested...

nv_dispi.rar

Edited by Tulius
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tulius said:

Unpack the .rar and use the .nip file in Nvidia Inspector -> Import profile.   This is a very good sli config for Rise of Tob Raider

I'm sending the mod for 361.75 drivers for who is interested...

nv_dispi.rar

That for 8.1 or win 10? or does it matter?

Prema just posted up a version 2 of his custom vBios over on another section thats supposed to fix the issues with the 9xxM series blackscreening and allow the latest 361.xx drivers to run on modified machines. Need a vbios mod tho for windows 10 (My M18Xr2 is my guinea pig!) since I dont know how to do it myself. Mebbe J95 or MrFox can test as well to see if the fix works for them.

Edited by Infini

GeForce 361.75 WHQL

*Install drivers at your own risk* Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels
    Uninstall both PrecisionX & MSI Afterburner (Keep RTSS) including screen overclocking tools *Still at risk*

Requirements:

Due to driver incompatibility (black screens, TDRs, BSODs...) with previous vBIOS versions you must flash latest @Prema's v2 980M & 970M (Please consider donating to Prema)

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package -> run setup.exe

-> Keep these folders only <-

361.75.thumb.PNG.cd5111f39779e9d64f24d39

INF MOD v361.75

nv_dispi.inf (including nvdmi.inf) PEG/Dedicated All Models: M15x, M17x, AW17 R1, M18x, AW18 R1 (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX , 660M

nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M

Above updated PEG MODs v353.00 Win8.1 & v352.84  Win10

GeForce 361.75 Win 7/8.1

GeForce 361.75 Win10

nv_dispi.inf_v361.75_Win7_8.1_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.75_Win7_8.1_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v361.75_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

nvcvi.inf_v361.75_Win10_Optimus_Alienware_17.zip

• Thumbs Up 5

I gave the inf's a go, and im getting throttling with the latest drivers. Although the 353.00PEG works fine, I was hoping with the new vbios I could finally use more recent drivers. Any thing I could try to identify the problem?

I've also tried using stock clocks but they make no difference unfortunately.

And if there is any more info im missing let me know.
I am running m17x r4 980M 8GB 3630qm 240watt power brick & 32gb memory .

Cheers

Throttling -playing The Devision BETA.gif

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by The Daninator

Thanks so much for the .inf files J95! 

One thing that caught me thinking is that you post the link for the "desktop" version of the 361.75 drivers.

Was that your intention or should we use the normal notebook version of the 361.75 drivers?

Edited by Nomad

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 3:51 AM, The Daninator said:

I gave the inf's a go, and im getting throttling with the latest drivers. Although the 353.00PEG works fine, I was hoping with the new vbios I could finally use more recent drivers. Any thing I could try to identify the problem?

I've also tried using stock clocks but they make no difference unfortunately.

And if there is any more info im missing let me know.
I am running m17x r4 980M 8GB 3630qm 240watt power brick & 32gb memory .

Cheers

Do you have the 120Hz display? If so I think that's why it's PWR throttling, I experienced the same thing. Thanks to @J95  he continuously updates driver 352.84/353 profiles. These are throttle-free drivers.

Edited by Solo wing

• J95 pinned this topic