[Alienware - Clevo - MSI] Aftermarket Upgrades Driver Support - Modded INF

J95

@J95 - This driver works normally at stock clock speeds, but has a SEVERE throttling problem when overclocked/overvolted with 780M SLI. I tried my own mod and yours also. Another garbage driver... thanks NVIDIA!

780M issue then, BTW some desktop sections are messed up...svl7's vbios stock P1 switching is 'finally' gone (DLLs), quick result NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

Xycwd23h.png

Seems NVIDIA is on a path leading to failure with their clock-blocking bull... Complaining about it here:

Official NVIDIA 350.12 WHQL Game Ready Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 4/13/15) | Community | GeForce

This driver proves that http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html#post127799

Yep, try v344.75. WinZip should work fine

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 350.12 WHQL

• Game Ready
  • Best gaming experience for Grand Theft Auto V, including support for SLI technology and GeForce Experience one-click optimizations.
    INF MOD v350.12
    nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated All Models except 2015 ->900M P1 Switching/throttling removed - MOD Included<- & Optimus/M17xR4 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX
    nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M
    GeForce 350.12 WHQL

btn_donate_74x21.png

J95, nvdispi has all options when installing except for NVIDIA HD audio.. Can you please add that in... I've tried modding driver myself but god knows what I have to do..

780M issue then, BTW some desktop sections are messed up...svl7's vbios stock P1 switching is 'finally' gone (DLLs), quick result NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

Xycwd23h.png

This driver proves that http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html#post127799

What is really odd is that 780M malfunction when overclocked is identical using notebook or desktop driver, the nvdmi.inf or nv_dispi.inf. I tried it several different ways. The most simple mod changing 680M to 780M hardware ID for M18xR2 in the nvdmi.inf file for the notebook driver behaves exactly the same. I also tried changing Alienware 18 hardware ID to M18xR2 (uses different "Sections" in the INF) and it makes no change in behavior. So, they appear to have done something really nasty and unethical in the actual nvlddmkm.sys or .dll driver files that deserves a sharp blow to the skulls of NVIDIA decision-makers.

Okay I have AW 17 with 60Hz

I just installed 970M today and I used 247.88 and the new 350.12 both are giving me just below 8000 in 3dmark ? the card throttling a lot.

I did my test in optimus mode ?

Any help guys which driver is the best right now ?

Will Dedicated mode help ? or my system will not boot ?

J95, nvdispi has all options when installing except for NVIDIA HD audio.. Can you please add that in... I've tried modding driver myself but god knows what I have to do..

Backup stock nv_dispi.inf & nvcvi.inf, start with nv_dispi.inf, then nvcvi.inf(1) -> nvcvi.inf(2).

@TomJGX Feedback please.

Okay I have AW 17 with 60Hz

I just installed 970M today and I used 247.88 and the new 350.12 both are giving me just below 8000 in 3dmark ? the card throttling a lot.

I did my test in optimus mode ?

Any help guys which driver is the best right now ?

Will Dedicated mode help ? or my system will not boot ?

First flash *svl7* & *Johnksss* vBIOS MOD

Optimus mode, install v350.12 using nvcvi.inf form here

What is really odd is that 780M malfunction when overclocked is identical using notebook or desktop driver, the nvdmi.inf or nv_dispi.inf. I tried it several different ways. The most simple mod changing 680M to 780M hardware ID for M18xR2 in the nvdmi.inf file for the notebook driver behaves exactly the same. I also tried changing Alienware 18 hardware ID to M18xR2 (uses different "Sections" in the INF) and it makes no change in behavior. So, they appear to have done something really nasty and unethical in the actual nvlddmkm.sys or .dll driver files that deserves a sharp blow to the skulls of NVIDIA decision-makers.

Since AW P1 switching was slightly reduced HF v350.05 & v350.12 compared to v347.88, clearly intentional, implementing 'AW/900M throttling' without messing w/ everyone else or even other cards, dirty little task. Ask Clevo/780M users to test v350.12.

First flash *svl7* & *Johnksss* vBIOS MOD

Optimus mode, install v350.12 using nvcvi.inf form here

Since AW P1 switching was slightly reduced HF v350.05 & v350.12 compared to v347.88, clearly intentional, implementing 'AW/900M throttling' without messing w/ everyone else or even other cards, dirty little task. Ask Clevo/780M users to test v350.12.

I am cnofused should overwrite both "nv_dispi.inf" and "nvcvi.inf" or just "nvcvi.inf" ?

I am still getting low score either way ? Am i mssing something ? I have Modded BIOS and Driver install fine but I tried everyone

347.90 > Black screen

All other Throttled :(

Backup stock nv_dispi.inf & nvcvi.inf, start with nv_dispi.inf, then nvcvi.inf(1) -> nvcvi.inf(2).

@TomJGX Feedback please.

J95, I guess the nvdispi_inf is the same as the previous one? Previous one installed fine for me.. No throttling etc in Optimus mode...

I will try the rest and get back to you :)

- - - Updated - - -

I am cnofused should overwrite both "nv_dispi.inf" and "nvcvi.inf" or just "nvcvi.inf" ?

I am still getting low score either way ? Am i mssing something ? I have Modded BIOS and Driver install fine but I tried everyone

347.90 > Black screen

All other Throttled :(

Halo, I think the problem might be that you've got a 180W PSU... Even with 970M, your probably using a bit too much power from it causing throttling..

Driver wise, you need to install nvcvi.inf which J95 linked in his 1st post which is specifically for 970M/980M in AW 17 R1 in Optimus mode...

J95, I guess the nvdispi_inf is the same as the previous one? Previous one installed fine for me.. No throttling etc in Optimus mode...

I will try the rest and get back to you :)

- - - Updated - - -

Halo, I think the problem might be that you've got a 180W PSU... Even with 970M, your probably using a bit too much power from it causing throttling..

Driver wise, you need to install nvcvi.inf which J95 linked in his 1st post which is specifically for 970M/980M in AW 17 R1 in Optimus mode...

You think so ? I see in nvidia inspector that "power " doesnt go above 35% TDP do you think thats is the problem ?

You think so ? I see in nvidia inspector that "power " doesnt go above 35% TDP do you think thats is the problem ?

Mine goes above that... Can you not get a 240W PSU easily where you are? Amazon UK has quite a few and I think even Amazon US does.. where are you located BTW? I really think your getting power limited... Have you flashed Svl7's vBIOS properly too? That's literally the 1st thing I did when I got my 970M..

Also @J95, I've tried both the nvdispi and the nvcvi... The nvdispi works best for me.. The 2 nvcvi only show the graphics driver, PhysX and GeForce experience under the stuff to be installed... The nvdispi shows theese 3 + the 3D Vision stuff + Mircast... I installed NVIDIA HD Audio through Device Manager so should be fine..

• Thumbs Up 1

Mine goes above that... Can you not get a 240W PSU easily where you are? Amazon UK has quite a few and I think even Amazon US does.. where are you located BTW? I really think your getting power limited... Have you flashed Svl7's vBIOS properly too? That's literally the 1st thing I did when I got my 970M..

Also @J95, I've tried both the nvdispi and the nvcvi... The nvdispi works best for me.. The 2 nvcvi only show the graphics driver, PhysX and GeForce experience under the stuff to be installed... The nvdispi shows theese 3 + the 3D Vision stuff + Mircast... I installed NVIDIA HD Audio through Device Manager so should be fine..

I just discovered that my card always on P1 does not go to P0 memory always on 1550Mhz so yes properly thats the problem ....I do have the vBIOS flashed . Thats why i aksed many times all of the members told me that 180w should be fine but seems that its not ....Buying one right now from Ebay

PS : there like 3 versions of the 240W Dell , Delta and flextronics ? which one is the best ?

Sorry for all the Qs

EDIT: GeForce 347.90 Full Package Option

• Desktop & Mobile 900 series
  • Latest GeForce Experience - version 2.4.1.21
  • Latest Games Profiles from v350.12
  • HD Audio Driver - version 1.3.33.0
  • PhysX v9.15.0324 . If you are having issues with this version uninstall and re-install previous version 9.14.0702 from here
  • Optimus option included (.inf) - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M.
    qEVg7yCh.png
    byubV4Lh.png

Note:

PEG All models & Optimus/M17xR4 install using nv_whql.inf_v347.90_Desktop_GTX_TITAN X_980_970_Mobile_980M_970M_965M.zip

Alienware 17 / 05AA Optimus install nv_whql.inf_v347.90_Optimus_GTX_980M_970M_965M.zip

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html#post127799

Note:

PEG All models & Optimus/M17xR4 install using nv_whql.inf_v347.90_Desktop_GTX_TITAN X_980_970_Mobile_980M_970M_965M.zip

Alienware 17 / 05AA Optimus install nv_whql.inf_v347.90_Optimus_GTX_980M_970M_965M.zip

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html#post127799

I think I'm going back to 347.88/347.90... In 350.12, I've got my memory clock getting stuck on 799Mhz randomly.. I have to literally plug and unplug my laptop (remove power cable) to reset the GPU clocks, close all 3D programs and open them... That explains some of the FPS drops I'm having..

- - - Updated - - -

GeForce 350.12 WHQL

• Game Ready
  • Best gaming experience for Grand Theft Auto V, including support for SLI technology and GeForce Experience one-click optimizations.
    INF MOD v350.12
    nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated All Models except 2015 ->900M P1 Switching/throttling removed - MOD Included<- & Optimus/M17xR4 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX
    nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M
    GeForce 350.12 WHQL

btn_donate_74x21.png

Driver installed the first time with no issues on R4 with optimus (980m). At first the card was badly throttling, but after the second all graphics drivers wipe, it works fine. No more throttling at least in the first 3d mark Firestike test. Performance seems pretty much the same as with 350.05. 980m can keep the same clocks as with 350.05 too.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 - 350.12 whql

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 - 350.05 beta

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I'm going back to 347.88/347.90... In 350.12, I've got my memory clock getting stuck on 799Mhz randomly.. I have to literally plug and unplug my laptop (remove power cable) to reset the GPU clocks, close all 3D programs and open them... That explains some of the FPS drops I'm having..

It's not the same .inf, nv_dispi.inf -> #231 doesn't include 'P1 mod', try reinstalling v350.12 from #223. Regarding v347.90/full (nv_whql.inf_v347.90_Desktop)...it will install GFE without issues, as opposed to "Missing files" standalone installer.

Driver installed the first time with no issues on R4 with optimus (980m). At first the card was badly throttling, but after the second all graphics drivers wipe, it works fine. No more throttling at least in the first 3d mark Firestike test. Performance seems pretty much the same as with 350.05. 980m can keep the same clocks as with 350.05 too.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 - 350.12 whql

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Alienware M17xR4 - 350.05 beta

Closer...;) Optimus...hmmmm. To avoid that 'first second' run Valley stock clocks, wait a minute and set clocks/NV Inspector, then run 3DMark FS a couple of minutes later...;)

View run details

post-3012-14494999814547_thumb.png

(M17XR3+680M) Being away since NVIDIA 285 .. is it safe to upgrade my driver to 350.12 directly (love GTA5) ?

I had a 580M.. i survived the throttling master! :)

Try installing v350.12/nv_dispi.inf. More options HERE

hi , i am kinda new at this , but i have alienware 17 2013 with 780 , upgraded it to 980 and i have 347.52

which is the best driver available now for better performance ? and how do u install it exactly ?

and is it normal for the gpu fan to work sometimes for no reason ? not throttling but u can hear that its moving , i didn't have this in 780

hi , i am kinda new at this , but i have alienware 17 2013 with 780 , upgraded it to 980 and i have 347.52

which is the best driver available now for better performance ? and how do u install it exactly ?

and is it normal for the gpu fan to work sometimes for no reason ? not throttling but u can hear that its moving , i didn't have this in 780

So I've had bad luck with installing modded files on my Alienware 17 R5, can anybody confirm if these will work for me?

Hi there, v347.52 is clock-blocked (sig). Try v350.12, AW17/120Hz (PEG) install using nv_dispi.inf, Optimus/60Hz use nvcvi.inf instead.

Windows 8.1

Run DDU/Safe mode, Clean and Shutdown
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nv_dispi.inf
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe

@J95, how do I flashed unlocked BIOS A11? Can I just downgrade from A13 to A11 and then flash A11 unlocked in DOS? Anything special I have to do when downgrading BIOS?

Yep, remove the card/2 screws (keep the heat sink), switch to BIOS/Legacy mode before downgrading to A11 and then follow DOS FTP method to flash A11 unlocked (Legacy). BTW, you will notice improved fan tables compared to A12 & A13.

Hi there, v347.52 is clock-blocked (sig). Try v350.12, AW17/120Hz (PEG) install using nv_dispi.inf, Optimus/60Hz use nvcvi.inf instead.

Alright, thank you very much. Might I ask how these mods work exactly? I'm most interested in why the 980m throttles in the first place and what this does to circumvent it

• J95 pinned this topic