BEFORE I PURCHASE: Mid 2012 15" Retina with Akitio and GTX1060 or

goto35

So before i purchase everything including the dell power supply the Akitio and the GTX1060 here are my questions:

1. Will I have issues getting this to start with Windows 10 on my Mid 2012 retina? I see so many people have issues getting this to start or having some voddu way to make it work.

2. I travel for work so i plan to take this with me either in my suitcase or laptop bag so play games in the hotel. Is this my best option? Obviously better option is to buy a new laptop with a GTX1060 or 1070 but what do you guys think. Is this too much to make it work?

• 4 weeks later...

1. - I haven't used either the 1060 or an eGPU with Windows so I can't comment there.

2. - Make sure whatever card you pick is small enough that the case can be closed for at least transit. I have a slot-powered RX 460 eGPU that I take with me when visiting family over holidays. While I game with the case off for ventilation I find that the enclosure makes a half decent carrying case when I slide the cover back back on. Since mine is slot power I have the added bonus of not worrying about spliced wires pulling loose, but I guess you can always bag cables. Still, a slot-powered GTX 1050 or 950-Mini might be worth consideration. The Akitio Thunder only takes up about as much luggage space as a extra pair of dress shoes, plus power supply/adapter. As a result I find it to be more of a hassle to plug it in at my destination than to find luggage space when driving.

Edited by Hedge