M17X R4 GTX 1060 upgrade

Ripsaw

It was because the bandwidth of LVDS is maxed out by 1080p60. 3D which is a 1080p 120hz panel required a higher bandwidth protocol and connector - eDP which is what is universal in new models AFAICT. Anything ever made with a refresh over 60hz or a res over 1080p is definitely eDP. So there are two basic configurations of the m17xR4:

Up to 1080p 60hz non-3D panel connected to LVDS port, routed through iGPU, Optimus enabled.

1080p 120Hz 3D panel connected to eDP, Optimus not possible.

Pascal upgrades work on the 2nd. Theoretically for the first the iGPU can translate the output from the GPU but it depends on how Dell built the communication protocol, if the iGPU only tries to check for LVDS output from the GPU then it won't work.

I got hold of a 3D m17xR4 in anticipation of chucking a Pascal GPU in it being pretty sure it'd work with one way or the other but didn't like the chassis at all and sold it on shortly after.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replay 

I just bought a 1060 from ebay that's why a need your help :)

did you used any special tool to modify the heatsink, or just an 0.5 mm thermal pad on that part ?

Edited by decool

10 hours ago, decool said:

did you used any special tool to modify the heatsink,

If you think a dremel is a special tool, then yes otherwise not.

I removed the marked part on the heatsink.

On 31/12/2016 at 7:05 PM, Zoldago said:

thanks for the replay 

I just bought a 1060 from ebay that's why a need your help :)

did you used any special tool to modify the heatsink, or just an 0.5 mm thermal pad on that part ?

It depends on what heatsink you have. The one that came with my m17x r4 had a copper corner segment. I didn't need to modify my heatsink as this "tacked on" corner piece rose higher than a completely grey heatsink and gave me a slight height difference which cleared the R.22 resistor.

I'm guessing the completely grey coloured heatsink does not.

See Zoldago's picture of the GPU heatsink below. If it has a copper [brown] corner piece [right of the red square] then you won't need to do any trimming :)

GTX1060 Heatsink 1.jpg

That's the same as mine. The protrusion on the top centre of the heat sink is the one that could get in the way. If it does, remove any thermal pads. You can use a dab of thermal paste if you really want to. If it still causes problems in contacting the GPU die, you will need to sand the protrusion down (I was lazy and bent the heatsink very slightly to add a thermal pad on that spot. No thermal performance issues at all!)

On 12/12/2016 at 1:05 PM, Ripsaw said:

Also 3D mode will no longer work (like anyone cares about 3D anymore :P )

So, if i upgrade from my 660m to a 1060, my 3D screen wont be 3D (which i dont want 3D)? Also, I just installed a 3D screen on my m17x r4 (as a "get ready" step for this) which currently has a 660m card in it and Im getting a 6 beep error whenever i try to turn on my laptop. Will that problem be fixed if i upgrade to a 1060?

Edited by ulq1517

9 hours ago, ulq1517 said:

So, if i upgrade from my 660m to a 1060, my 3D screen wont be 3D (which i dont want 3D)?
Also, I just installed a 3D screen on my m17x r4 (as a "get ready" step for this) which currently has a 660m card in it and Im getting a 6 beep error whenever i try to turn on my laptop.
Will that problem be fixed if i upgrade to a 1060?

22968667ub.png.f9d2f784b584ddad681a7db778622d0b.png

6 beeps usually is a dead gpu or bad inserted or to be cleaned its contact.

What your bios version? (Try to update to unlocked one or the latest)

Try to disconnect cmos battery.

If still not booting:

1st way is to boot only by CPU iGpu (no dGpu phisically inserted)

2nd to do is to re-seat Gpu after the contacts get cleaned, make sure is well inserted and properly pasted.

Hello,

I had same kind of issue when upgrading from 60Hz to 120 Hz screen. You need to plug back the 60 Hz screen , install unlocked BIOS and set primary display to PEG like I explain on my thread here: 

Then you'll be able to plug and enjoy your 120 Hz screen.

You can also try to plug back the 60Hz screen, boot to windows and disable the integrated Intel by pressing Fn+F7. Then shut down and plug the 120Hz screen.

That's what i did.

hello,

can you please give us a link to the unlocked bios you are using for the gtx 1060 ?

thanks a lot for your help

edit : i see many version in the thread down below, which one to choose for my computer ?

Edited by decool

21 hours ago, aaronloveweed said:

What your bios version

My bios is unlocked A10 which i got from the thread decool just shared

Also Primary display is already set as PEG, ill try to do these two and get back here

21 hours ago, aaronloveweed said:

1st way is to boot only by CPU iGpu (no dGpu phisically inserted)

2nd to do is to re-seat Gpu after the contacts get cleaned, make sure is well inserted and properly pasted.

Thanx for the help!

On 6/3/2017 at 3:02 PM, Ripsaw said:

Unfortunately you must convert to GPT format, which means reinstalling windows and formatting the drive. UEFI mode in the boot options is needed and fast boot disabled. I'm on the stock A12 BIOS, so no mod needed.

Hi Ripsaw,

what do you mean you don't need mod ? if you have a A12 stock bios unlocked bios is not needed ?

I have an A11 stock bios, do I need to upgrade it to A12 or simply unlocked it with a moded A12 ?

I think that Ripsaw means that you don't need the unlocked bios for the gtx 1060 and 120hz combination to work, like Zoldago stated, you can also log into your windows with your 60hz screen, use the key combination FN+F7 to switch the graphics to the gpu and during that process the bios automatically changes the screen mode to PEG for the 120hz to work. Bios A11 would work fine too.

thanks for your response,

so i dont need to unlock my bios since it's not needed, 

by the way, i have a stock 120hz with a gtx 680m, however i've moded the vbios to be able to overclock it so do i need to get back to the stock vbios before upgrading ?

Edited by decool

If you already have a 120hz screen then the mode is already on PEG which means you got nothing to worry about, and no you don't need to change the vbios since it's programmed inside the videocard chip. Once you change the videocard to a gtx 1060, 1070 (?) you'll have a completely different vbios chip programmed on your new videocard. The only thing you do need to worry about is getting the drivers to work, though it's perfectly explained in this guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/installing-nvidia-drivers-by-modding-inf-files.746245/ and I'm sure you can get a modded gtx 1060 inf somewhere around 

• Thumbs Up 1

You really should mod your own .inf file, this is easy and well explained for example here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/912887/geforce-mobile-gpus/nvidia-gpu-not-detected-solved-/ or here http://null-bin.blogspot.fr/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

Anyway I don't think you'll find a ready to use .inf file for the M17x R4 and the 1060.