2012 15" MBPr GT650M + GTX1060@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10 [enjoy]

Hi Enjoy!

Thank you very much for support. 

My Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable arrived today with EVGA GTX 1060 SC, and I bought a very nice desktop files rack which I will cut for mesh. Waiting for the Akitio and Dell DC DA2. Do you know what size is the Akitio fan and if it is quiet and  can be replace it with corsair fan? I am so excited, can wait to start putting things together, also got my paperclip available :haha:. The barrel that I ordered has 3 barrel plugs, I guess I will just remove the other two plugs and connect all the wires to the one that I will use because they are 3 yellows and 3 blacks. 

After month with my AKITIO Thunder2 feat. EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB eGPU setup I can confirm that this is the best way to turn your OLD Macbook in gaming Laptop.

I can play all games - FULL HD / 60 FPS (all to MAX + AA) on External Display

I can play all games - 1680x1050 / 30-40 FPS (all to MAX + AA) on my Internal Reitna Display

allgames.png

enjoy :)

Edited by enjoy

Hi enjoy, you said all the games in FULL HD but did you try Arma 3?

I finally got the Akitio and my mac pro working (specs below), but I don't get 60 fps with Arma 3 in FHD. 

PS. Nice game library! I envy you a bit ;)

Specs:

Mac pro retina 15" mid 2015

2.8GHz i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz)

16GB ram

512GB SDD

AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Akitio TB2

EVGA 1060 SC 6GB

EVGA 500W 80+

(playing on Windows 10 installed with Bootcamp)

Edited by marcellom

@marcellom I'am very happy for your eGPU setup, I don't try Arma 3, but i can run all games from my library with Very High/Ultra + AA settings (i also played and tested more games but i deleted them when i complete them or not played them). 

You can also set in your NVIDIA Control Panel: 

Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1

Powered managent mode to Prefer max. performance

Multi Display/mixed-GPU accelaration to Maximum display performance mode

Vertical-Sync to ON

Also in Power Option set to High Performance not Balanced!

I also have problems before done this settings with some games, after that no problems with all games new or old heavy games :)

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, enjoy said:

@marcellom I'am very happy for your eGPU setup, I don't try Arma 3, but i can run all games from my library with Very High/Ultra + AA settings (i also played and tested more games but i deleted them when i complete them or not played them). 

You can also set in your NVIDIA Control Panel: 

Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1

Powered managent mode to Prefer max. performance

Multi Display/mixed-GPU accelaration to Maximum display performance mode

Vertical-Sync to ON

Also in Power Option set to High Performance not Balanced!

I also have problems before done this settings with some games, after that no problems with all games new or old heavy games :)

Thanks for the tips, especially those in the Control Panel.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, marcellom said:

external monitor. I have to say that the fans of the mac run as crazy. It crashed a couple of time during gaming. I guess it is the dust, I don't have other ideas.

Yes you must clean the fans and install https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control and set Left and Right fan to the max when you gaming :)

For that reason you have so small points because you have Min FPS of 7.7 - overheating and bottleneck for sure, you can see that i have Min FPS of 19.8 for example on External monitor!

EBXzdoi.jpg

Clean the dust and run the setup again with Macs Fan Control to the max ;)

Edited by enjoy

9 hours ago, marcellom said:

Yes, I hope that the dust is the real problem. Tomorrow I am going to bring the mac to the applestore (I still have the warranty) and in this week I will execute the bench again.

I think it's less likely the fan's problem, your iGPU is different from enjoy's, and it's AMD. It can be a problem. 

Hi!

The system could not boot back into the terminal after typing csrutil disable the I press enter, it was successfully disabled and I type reboot then pressed enter. but to my surprise it boot back OS opening image asking me login instead of booting back into terminal console in order for me to run the automated script. 

I believe i was following the step by step instructions

3 hours ago, Awesome said:

Hi Enjoy! 

Thank you very much, I managed to install the driver with the goalque script, but system sees it as display, bus PCle and it says in the Kernel Extension info that No Kext Loaded. 

Hi 1050, 1060, 1070 and 1080 don't have a driver for macOS, you can run only on Windows without problems!

Thanks for the info, I am actually downloading windows 10 at the moment, but I would love to install the window 10 on external drive, will it still work fine? And would I still use the goalque script for install the driver or I will have to do it manually?