[Issues] Running eGPU on MBP

NemoC

Hi! I'm new here.

I have a MBP 15-inch (Mid 2014, Iris Pro 5200) with macOS 10.12.1 installed. Can I run eGPU with an AMD Graphics Card (HD 7000, R9 300, R9 Nano or RX 400) using the internal display on macOS? (I don't prefer running it on Windows.)

I've known the automate-eGPU.sh, but I'm not sure if it can support the internal display.

Thanks for answering!

Edited by NemoC

1 hour ago, Hedge said:

Technically yes, but only if an external display is also connected.

Do you mean an external display is needed but I can use the internal display while putting the ex display aside? Will the eGPU work?

Yep. There is an additional frame rate loss from transmitting back over thunderbolt to the internal, but as long as an external display is connected to the eGPU and set as the primary display you should have acceleration on all displays.

Of course, the first time anything is opened it will open on the primary (external) monitor by default.  You can drag the windows back to the internal and they should remember which display they were last on when reopened in the future but that does imply the external display should at least stay somewhere in eyesight.