Lenovo y400 with egpu gtx 1060 3gb display driver crash and recover error

CoolAid

hi everyone im new here and i've been scouring and found no forum that has the same situation and problem or it might just be me not searching hard enough

im using lenovo ideapad y400

V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock (attached using mpci-e to hdmi)

550W external power supply

gtx 1060 3gb  windfast leadtek

when i first installed about a month ago it was running without a hitch and now suddenly whenever im playing games, the screen would go black and it would minimize the game with prompt saying "the display driver has recovered" im not sure what is the problem since i've made a few test using furmark and heaven to stress test the rig but it just ran fine, this only happens when im playing games or doing any 3d related works, so anybody with the same problem or is the hardware failing?

You are getting PCIe Gen 2.0 signalling issues. This is because your EXP GDC Beast is not strong enough to run your eGPU at PCIe Gen 2.0.

You must have gotten a lucky month like i did with the EXP GDC Beast and no problems. Unless you have very minimal power running through wherever you live, you will get power spikes continuously to the PSU and Beast..

The only way to avoid this is to get a PE4C v3.0 or set your mPCIe port to Gen 1.1 through modded bios or if you sign up for TechInferno membership, you can get DiY eGPU Setup 1.30 to set this.

Even then the PE4C v3.0 is bound to give you the same issue, though will greatly reduce the chance of it happening. Your hardware is definitely not failing. 

I recommend the PE4C v3.0 as setting to PCIe Gen 1.1 does quite drastically reduce frame rates and in games that are bandwidth hungry, your performance is going to seriously suffer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see that makes @TechManAsh because throughout the entire week i kinda notice the game would only crash whenever im turning on or off my air conditioning and other electrical appliance. I thought it was the gpu driver clashing with each other that creates the problem and fortunately after a fresh reinstall of gpu driver the problem went away. Might have to do more observation.

but thank you for the reply it has been very insightful and i might change to pe4c v3.0 once i have gathered enough war fund. Being a student is hard on the war fund already tho lol.

On 30/11/2016 at 9:57 AM, CoolAid said:

hi everyone im new here and i've been scouring and found no forum that has the same situation and problem or it might just be me not searching hard enough

im using lenovo ideapad y400

V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock (attached using mpci-e to hdmi)

550W external power supply

gtx 1060 3gb  windfast leadtek

when i first installed about a month ago it was running without a hitch and now suddenly whenever im playing games, the screen would go black and it would minimize the game with prompt saying "the display driver has recovered" im not sure what is the problem since i've made a few test using furmark and heaven to stress test the rig but it just ran fine, this only happens when im playing games or doing any 3d related works, so anybody with the same problem or is the hardware failing?

Can you tell the steps you did do it for make work a egpu on this model i have the same but with a gtx 1050 ti i cant make work, error code 43 show up all the times. (please).

12 hours ago, ramonchb said:

Can you tell the steps you did do it for make work a egpu on this model i have the same but with a gtx 1050 ti i cant make work, error code 43 show up all the times. (please).

Error 43 usually occurs when u have gpu driver higher than 327.70 i assume u already know how to use ddu. Clean uninstall all driver then reinstall 327.70 nvidia driver.

9 hours ago, CoolAid said:

Error 43 usually occurs when u have gpu driver higher than 327.70 i assume u already know how to use ddu. Clean uninstall all driver then reinstall 327.70 nvidia driver.

bad for me the oldest driver for gtx 1050 ti is 375.63, so i think there is no hope for fix it s:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.