Future eGPU setup. ASUS UX31A Beast v8

Sgt Chaos66

I've been reading this forum over many months while on my travels, dreaming about the games I'm going to be able to play on my laptop once I get home this Christmas! I've learned a lot and have came up with my own plan but would really like to hear anyone's thoughts on any of the questions.

Already have

Laptop ASUS UX31A i7-3517U HD4000 4GB Soldered Ram WINDOWS 7 

Adaptor Beast v8.0 mPCIE (waiting for me at home)

Aims

Play games such as SMITE or OVERWATCH at 1080p 40-60FPS. CIV6 1080p 30FPS 

Be small, and portable since I live my life on the road.

Under 150GBP

Start with most important.

Q: I believe my mPCIE port is 1.2 but currently cannot test, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Q: I really want to make use of the Internal 1080p screen, would the performance hit be just too much to make it worthwhile? (even with optimus)

Q: With the limited bandwidth would a 4GB card over a 2GB card improve stability and fps spikes? (My theory is reducing data going to system ram when GFX card full)

Q: I plan on using a universal 120-150w adaptor for the Beast v8.0, it states 150w through PCIE, can I power any card that doesn't reach 150W under a torture test?   Or strictly cards designed for PCIE power (750ti)?

Q: My processor is a ultra low voltage that isn't designed for gaming, how much of a bottleneck could this be?

Look forward to reading your thoughts and hopefully posting my results over Christmas.

Stu

Edited by Sgt Chaos66

1) gen2
2) depends on the game but its usually 60 vs 90 fps so its pretty huge
3) yes, but you can just disable antialiasing and/or lower the texture quality is you have not enough vram
4) 750ti is fine, gtx1050ti would be the no brainer (75W) BUT watch out for the error43 with Nvidia 372 thread, people having fun with nvidia drivers these days and there is threads about internal screen not working so read them before you decide.
5) depends on the game, overwatch doesn't really tax cpus, it kicks your gpu far more.
The reason to use egpu is the shitty mobile dgpus/igps. Like a gtx1050 (gpu score: 7k) is a pretty big step upfrom the hd4000 (gpu score: 300) and if you can get "only" 10-15x the performance you are still in a pretty good corner. All in all knowing you are playing on a hd4000 now, you can still be happy with the internal screen performance, if you can make your egpu setup work 

Edited by Doink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Doink for taking the time to reply. Its cleared a few things up for me and happy that its gen2 speed :frantics:

With Q3 is it worth the extra money or sometimes inconvenience (size/availability) for the luxury of having high texture and AA, or would it be pointless with 1.2 Opt on Internal screen data cap?

I'm going to check out the threads on the 372 and see if its worth the extra hassle. Although I am still curious about Q4, the wattage and how power delivery works on cards such as an 660ti/950 with max draw under 150w? 

Yes, currently making do on a HD4000 so anything above that will be a great improvement, and would feel great to utilise the 1080p screen just a shame about such a huge FPS hit.

Lets hope it will work! :angel:

Encourage anyone else to comment on the questions I put forward as the more I know the better decision I can make!  

Thanks again

Stu 

Edited by Sgt Chaos66

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.