OFFICIAL: Alienware M11x-R1 Owners Lounge

Brian

Interesting suggestion. :)

In any case now you know you should use some form of backup for your documents. Dropbox / GDrive and similar cloud services are really great for this kind of stuff.

I am with you on that Unreal. Makes it real easy to backup and can be accessed from any system. I love gdrive dropbox and the note cloud evernote.

Theres always this. Keep your documents on an external drive thats not regularly connected or used on any system. Perhaps even have a carbon copy of that drive to. After suffering data being unaccesable on a drive i had years ago i decided ill never keep my data and my system as one anymore. All thats on my main system is apps and perhaps bookmarks lol. All else i keep on external which is barely accessed. Im sorry about your lose as I know the feeling. I was unable to replace any of it from back then. Svl7 had an Intel 320 drive go 8mb on him a glitch that made all data and drive size turn to 8mb from the gigabytes it was normally. That was a hard drive failure to deal with no doubt. Must of been gigs poor SVL7 lost also.

Save yourself from future failed drives and backup like Unreal said either cloud based sync services or more than one backup drive for your documents. Again sorry you lost those photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note atleast hard drive clicking failure is one thats often fixable by re torquing the torque hd screws with a special troque screw driver and the exact PSI needed for the particular drive....

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Alienware-Frank_L
I've never tried this either way, but FYI -

haha I've seen that before, I'm just saying that it worked for me :P

If you put it without the bag it won't work :P

haha I've seen that before, I'm just saying that it worked for me :P

If you put it without the bag it won't work :P

Glad it worked for you. I guess its like that bake your broken gpu in the oven with all plastics off and revive it theory. You won't find me attempting one of these but i'm sure there's been some success stories.

Oh, now that one I tried, no luck reviving my 580. It sure was fun though!

If I had truly critical data on a HDD, I would take it to an expert. More random stuff, I might try freezing.

i've frozen quite a few hard drives, one of mine and serveral of some friends, and also one at work. with one exception i got the drives back to work to get the data off them. but, it won't last for long, as (if the problem is a warped disk) it will warp back to failure with rising temperature. so better think of what you are going to save first, in case the drive will show up in windows after some freezing :)

• Thumbs Up 1

lol freezing my hard drive, now that's an interesting thought. I heard you can "bake" your dead graphics card too. ;) I'm still attempting to find a HM640JJ board for my Samsung Spinpoint, but the ones I've found are labeled "Momentus." Not to be confused with Seagate's hybrid "Momentus," I take it? There was a nearly identical, refurbished drive for sale on ebay that may match my bios on the disk's control board, but the seller wanted nearly $130 for it. I could buy a brand new one for that price.

*facepalm* Hindsight is always 20/20, as Dave Mustaine says. I've got Dropbox on my desktop computer at my job, I should definitely link it with my home laptop! I've just used it for a few work-related documents.

I've never had a GPU die on me. I had the fan on my old GeForce FX 5900 XT give out years back, but I sandwiched that in a Giant Thermaltake heatpipe kit. Now it performs like my car- flashy, unique, stands out; but terrible, outdated performance. I've "Monty Python'ed" some Voodoo cards- I have 1, 2, 5! (Three sir!) :) I should install that V1 in my Dos machine. Play some Carmageddon on it or Tomb Raider.

- - - Updated - - -

er, not to go off topic, mods. :D *cough* Yeah! That m11x is still in pieces! I'm so lazy...gotta fix that thing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really like the M11x i had one on to go and i got a m17x, both of them are awesome! M11x screen & keyboard is a bit small. i played wow & aion with it and i always pressed the wrong keys! if u buying it for on to go gaming, try the m15x. well, if price is a problem for u then stick with the 11.

• 4 weeks later...

Although I sold my M11x and I don't support it anymore, maybe someone is interested in doing hardware mods, bios mods, installing OS X or any details: Index of /~vlad.ichimescu/MOD/alienwarem11x

!: you may copy and redistribute this FREE as long as you give credits (my host tend to be unstable so make mirror, everything you need) - everything posted there is gathered, tested and fixed by me so 100% working

Although I sold my M11x and I don't support it anymore, maybe someone is interested in doing hardware mods, bios mods, installing OS X or any details: Index of /~vlad.ichimescu/MOD/alienwarem11x

!: you may copy and redistribute this FREE as long as you give credits (my host tend to be unstable so make mirror, everything you need) - everything posted there is gathered, tested and fixed by me so 100% working

Thanks for posting this resource thats very kind of you. Cool multiboot stuff there :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have just upgraded my m11x r1 to the r3 a couple of days ago, The r1 as been my main desktop since 2009 with only a hinge problem and still works just as good today. Before the m11x i used to buy a new laptop every 6 months and had 7 laptops at one point and now i just have the 2 m11x's so it has been the perfect laptop for me.

If you could upgrade the parts on the r1 i would have just gone that route as the laptop still looks as good as new even after 4 years.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

hello i'm new here and i was wondering if anyone has tried the r1 bios mod to raise the voltage on GT 335M to .95v

i did and with a bigger power supply i'm able to play bf3 and bf4, but with bf4 sometimes it will glitch or slowdown . for the most part it works good

but since day one from dell sometimes it will run slow after booting up and then if i reboot sometimes it will right but sometimes i have to reboot a couple of times .

this one has su7300 cpu . does anyone else have this issue thank you