Im about to give up! Beep shut down Sager/Clevo P170EMx

jonilink

Specs:

Sager branded Clevo P170EM 

16gb ddr 3

AMD 7970M

i7-3820QM

BIOS 1.00.04bLS2

I'm working on this laptop for a friend and it will NOT stay on more than a couple minutes before it shuts down.  I have tried everything that i can think of and it still shuts down.  Im thinking it some kind of thermal or video card problem but I cant quite narrow it down.  

here are the things i have tied:

cleaned/re greased both fans.

cleaned all heat sinks fins

lapped and reapplied thermal paste

reapplied thermal tape to the GPU

replaced CMOS battery

reset CMOS

removed/reinstalled all drivers for iGPU an the 7970

tested all ram in a seperate latop top individually

swapped fans to test headers

After all of this it still will beep about 20-22 times and shut down it is in no way getting hot the fans still spin but the computer still shuts down.

What else can i try ? I can't be the only one who has this problem. I've added a file that show the bios version.

20161105_123604.jpg

Ok well this laptop shipped with this video card and had been working fine since 2012 are you saying the video card is bad?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is so why would it not boot when I remove it and run off the on board gpu?

Clevo systems interpret no dGPU as an overheating dGPU.

Either the 7970m is dying, or your motherboard's emdedded controller is dying. Its probably the card though. Can you get the card to play a game before the laptop shuts down? Is the 7970m listed with error 43 in the device manager?

Edited by Khenglish

The laptop seems to run for a minute or so but after awhile it starts beeping and shuts down

The laptop seems to run for a minute or so but after awhile it starts beeping and shuts down I don't see error 43 in even viewer but if it is in there I don't have enough time to find it before the computer shuts down

It is an old laptop put the person who bought it still remembers paying over $3k US dollars for it. Thanks for the help when I get the time I'll try everything suggested. As of now it is still resetting after 22 beeps.

Was anything ever spilled on the laptop? Or maybe on a thermal repaste paste got on the connector. I would try pulling and reseating the card. Maybe the thermal readout connections are dirty.

Its very odd that the card is working, but not reporting temperature.

Did you update the EC with the BIOS?

Also second hand 680M's or 7970M's aren't that expensive, they are rare but only go for a couple hundred on fleabay down here in Oz. A 3820QM with the extra turbo bins you get from an unlocked BIOS like Prema's gets up over 4GHz which is still plenty fast

They can be upgraded to 980M too which brings it up to spec in the GPU department too (but you may need a geforce heatsink instead of a radeon one). If you are confident the rest of the unit will last.

Edited by bennyg

Have u tried to changing hd7970? Most of the time the gpu cause the problem especially amd radeon.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Or if you know people who can reball, try reballing your gc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk