Hello guys, 

I've got 2 graphics cards - 7970M's. I believe one card is Revision 1.1 and the other one is Revision 1.2 because it has double row of capacitors as described here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/amd-hd-7970m-revision-through-software.788469/ 

Laptop is XMG P702 Pro (P170EM). I bought it with 7970M (Rev 1.2) from a guy who said he played a game and laptop just went BSOD. Since then, the card doesn't work properly. Win 8 was installed, I removed it and installed Windows 7 so it's easier to boot in Safe Mode.

Things I have tried so far:

- with XMG BIOS (version 1.02.17)
1) BIOS recognizes the GPU - 7970M
2) Safe Mode works, I see the GPU, if drivers installed it is 7970M, if not, then Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, I can run DDU no problem
3) Windows detects the GPU under Display Adapters as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
4) I have tried different AMD drivers, some of them install the drivers with no problems in Windows and the GPU shows as 7970M with no warnings or such, some show black screen during installation. Clevo 7970M.zip (believe driver is 9.1.0.0) package from Clevo website installs normally and during Windows loading screen, I see the mouse and after few seconds I see the black screen with top left underscore blinking. I also hear the Windows welcome sound. (Tested with Teamviewer autostart from my PC, I see the desktop, but it's like Minecraft, whenever I drag mouse around, it creates some blocks)

- with latest PREMA BIOS (version 1.02.17PM v2)
1) After installing Clevo 7970M.zip driver, laptop boots to Windows and 7970M shows Code 43 in Device Manager.
2) Safe Mode works, DDU too, 7970M shows up when drivers installed, Standard VGA Graphics Adapter when not installed.

Now with the second 7970M... Revision 1.1. 
1) doesn't pass POST screen with old BIOS
2) doesn't pass POST screen with PREMA BIOS (I press F2 and it shows as selected, but just hangs on it at that moment)
3) laptop starts beeping and shutdowns
Note: 7970M has been tested in Alienware 17 R1, BIOS shows 7970M, Windows show 7970M, drivers installed, all good.
Question: does Rev. 1.1 work in P170EM? If so, could it be wrong VBIOS?

P.S. After checking out physically 7970M Rev. 1.2, I found everything to be messy around the double row of capacitors, especially one bridge so I decided to remove it and make everything clean, but later I found in the first link I posted, there should actually be a bridge? Acted too fast, stupid... (I have quality soldering station, hot air station and microscope). I didn't examine the GPU at first, I tried all the methods above, didn't work, then I proceeded with desoldering the bridge and trying again the GPU. Didn't work either. I can resolder the bridge if necessary?

I can give you pictures from the GPU's, VBIOS or anything else that you might think could be useful. 
If it turns out 7970M Rev. 1.1 needs another VBIOS, I was thinking of getting EEPROM Programmer, desoldering the GPU BIOS chip and flashing new (compatible) one to it. Ideas?

P.S. #2 if anyone could drop a hint on what to physically check on the 7970M Rev. 1.2, that would be great. I googled the black screen problem and could it be that voltage regulator is blown? I don't mind resoldering another one.

Edited by djdblaster

Both versions should be good! So, based that both cards aren't faulty, just disable the card in device manager and afterwards install the latest Crimson driver.
@sirana, plz chime in, if I recited something in wrong order.

See this thread: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/topic/8832-CLEVO-P170HM-Grafik

The solder bridging on v1.2 cards is normal. The bridged connections are connected internally on the card anyway. Their presence or absence means nothing.

Clevo 7970m vbios run fine on both v1.1 and v1.2 cards.

The v1.2 should be the superior card due to the extra capacitors.

These gpus sound faulty to me, especially the v1.1. How thoroughly were they tested on the aw17? Were games actually played?

What you say is a v1.1 sounds like it may actually be a dell card, given the beeping. A dell card should work up until the system shuts down due to inability to read the gpu temp though.

+1, v1.1 and 1.2 should work perfectly with a compatible vbios. If it runs in your/a friends Alienware, just flash the card from there. You should be able to get a Clevo vbios from your reseller if you ask nicely.

*Edit: If it doesn't seem to boot, it is worth waiting 15min before restarting manually. You may then proceed to flash the Clevo vbios on your actual Clevo machine, too. I know that some 680Ms did not post instantly, but posted after ~15min, according to Prema.

Edited by sirana

46 minutes ago, sirana said:

+1, v1.1 and 1.2 should work perfectly with a compatible vbios. If it runs in your/a friends Alienware, just flash the card from there. You should be able to get a Clevo vbios from your reseller if you ask nicely.

*Edit: If it doesn't seem to boot, it is worth waiting 15min before restarting manually. You may then proceed to flash the Clevo vbios on your actual Clevo machine, too. I know that some 680Ms did not post instantly, but posted after ~15min, according to Prema.

v1.2 runs a Dell vBIOS fine. v1.1 might too. Literally any vBIOS flashed on a v1.2 Clevo will work fine for a P150EM. This even includes non-enduro vBIOS (non-enduro just means the vBIOS doesn't freeze if there's no iGPU).

Ok, back with updates.

Games were not played. I did everything except 3D rendering. It was a quick check-up. (Talking about testing in AW)

As for the drivers, I entered Windows, drivers were already removed before. I disabled 7970M in Device Manager and proceeded with latest Crimson driver installation setup. Halfway through the installation I get black screen with top left blinking underscore and after that just black screen. I didn't force shut down it, it's been working like this for 5 minutes so far. 

Should I try other drivers? I read the other thread you linked @sirana, but I'm not sure about the correct steps. Or it doesn't matter? 

Edited by djdblaster

I don't have a way to flash 7970M Rev. 1.1. so I was thinking of getting EEPROM programmer and doing it that way? Good idea? I could probably also have some use of it in future I guess.

P.S. I've made a typo in title. Should be XMG P702 Pro.

Maybe@sirana can chime in as I have no further idea how to assist you in this case.

I had a similar situation when I sold my 6970M Crossfire, the buyer installed the cards in the wrong order (master card in slave slot and vice versa). Same behaviour when installing drivers. All that he did was switch GPUs, but it is also possible to flash the vbios correctly.

@djdblaster unfortunately I am not familiar with EEPROM. The most helpful advice I could give you:

1. Try older non-Crimson drivers. Same procedure, just uninstall the GPU from device manager again, then when the notebook boots up try to install the driver. You could try to install the original Clevo 7970M driver first, and installing a more recent driver on top of it, if it worked.

2. Contact your friend with the Alienware notebook and flash the card from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately I don't have a way to flash the cards at the moment, unless I buy the programmer, but I'd like to hear opinions on it and some recommendations.

The thing with the original Clevo 7970M driver is that when installed and laptop restarts, I see the Windows loading screen and it goes black then with the underscore blinking in top left corner.

Other than that, the GPU is recognized normally in BIOS, Safe Mode and even when I install the drivers in Windows before restarting it. So, could it be that there is something blown on the GPU which can be replaced?