Stability woes - MacBook Pro mid-2012 and Akitio TB2 + AMD R9

RKelley

Looking for some help/guidance.  I have a mid-2012 MBP (16G RAM, 2.6GHz i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB) running El Capitan 10.11.6.  I purchased an Akitio TB2 enclosure and paired it up with an MSI R9-290X card and a BFG 500W PSU.  I hooked up everything, ran @goalque's eGPU setup script, rebooted, and was able to get my video card properly recognized as an AMD 4000 GPU. Yah!

However, after some time (about 15mins), the system becomes increasingly slower to the point whereby I have to power cycle my system.  I have not pinned the problem down to a specific set of actions, however, I suspect it happens when I start playing videos or moving lots of screens around.  I see a bunch of messages in the console like this:  "surface testing disallowed updates for sequential attempts".  I switched out the GPU for an R9-270x, disabled automated graphic switching in System Preferences, and even tried the same setup with Sierra; same problem.

Wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences.  I just can't seem to get a stable system running...

@goalque has highlighed stability issues with the R9 2xx series + AKiTiO Thunder2. Eg, wrote at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10655-akitio-2-amd-r9-and-mbpr/&do=findComment&comment=151415

At least R9 Nano and HD 7970 should stay stable with the Akitio on Windows 10.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to Stability woes - MacBook Pro mid-2012 and Akitio TB2 + AMD R9
  • 4 weeks later...