2016 Macbook Pros and eGPUs

leocanela

You could try undervolting and using a program that prevents unnecessary throttling. 

A way to test if the CPU is bottlenecking would be to find a game that's mostly hard on the GPU. I think you'll still find TB3 improvements in actual games. 

Have you managed to get it working with the internal display (maybe via dragging from the external)? Sorry to ask again, but I can't find any additional information on this. 

Hey guys,

Not really sure if it have been answered before but can we use the internal screen of a MBP 15" 2016 with an eGPU ?

I'm hesitating between a 13" or a 15" with radeon 460 and the eGPU thing is a really important factor.

Also does anyone know about what kind of performance we can get with a 13" 2016 w/TB and eGPU? I need to know if the cpu can handle games like BF1.

9 hours ago, Casey_S said:

Yeah, most likely - as reflected in the physics scores. Only about a 4% improvement between the '15 and '16 CPU's. New MBP really isn't looking like a worthwhile upgrade. 

Talking about CPU only. All the rest is a super upgrade imho

19 hours ago, Casey_S said:

Kind of an odd situation... I installed rEFInd, enabled the iGPU, disabled the dGPU, but was getting error code 12 on the 1080, so I tried disabling a few lanes/ports and restarting, and now the 1080 isn't detected. At all. Even after reenabling everything and plugging it in to different ports. Not sure what to do here.

Edit: Fixed, uninstalled the root lanes and restarted. Back to error 12.

Edit: MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

f2IoDKs.jpg

Vn83gfM.jpg

In you rphoto the Optimus is running the eGPU output back down the TB3 cable to run internal display.

Hopefully you disabled this before running benchmarks.

12 hours ago, JackRoe said:

Hey guys,

Not really sure if it have been answered before but can we use the internal screen of a MBP 15" 2016 with an eGPU ?

I'm hesitating between a 13" or a 15" with radeon 460 and the eGPU thing is a really important factor.

Also does anyone know about what kind of performance we can get with a 13" 2016 w/TB and eGPU? I need to know if the cpu can handle games like BF1.

I have a maxed 13" w/TB, razer core, 980ti:
BF1 @ 2880x1800, ultra settings, 54fps average (internal screen, no external connected)

@ 1920x1200, 87fps

I think CPU won't be your bottleneck for just about anything these days.

I also have a 15" w/ 460 that i'm trying to get to work the same way.  Need to try the various error 12 resolutions but DSDT fix or refit startup script seem fairly involved, and I consider myself reasonably savvy...  will see how it goes.

Using the dGPU 460:

BF1 @ 2880x1800, ultra settings, 22fps

@ 1920x1200, 31fps

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been testing my core with 3 different MBPs

13" no TB - worked fine with gtx670 but gave error 12 with 980ti

13" TB - worked fine with 980ti (basically just installed drivers), don't know why it worked differently than the non-TB

15" TB - gives error 12 on 980ti, haven't tried 670

Now I'm trying to figure out error 12, which looks like i need setup 2.0 but i can't figure out how to purchase it...  Feeling extra dumb today

8 hours ago, RB.mac said:

I've been testing my core with 3 different MBPs

13" no TB - worked fine with gtx670 but gave error 12 with 980ti

13" TB - worked fine with 980ti (basically just installed drivers), don't know why it worked differently than the non-TB

15" TB - gives error 12 on 980ti, haven't tried 670

Now I'm trying to figure out error 12, which looks like i need setup 2.0 but i can't figure out how to purchase it...  Feeling extra dumb today

Guessing we've spoken on Netkas board under different names.

I've detailed a method over there for Non TB version but can post here too if it would help

No DSDT or "Setup 1.3 or 2.0" or whatever needed.

Pretty easy

Edited by MVC

31 minutes ago, MVC said:

Guessing we:ve spoken on Netkas board under different names.

I:ve detailed a method over there for Non TB version but can post here too if it would help

No DSDT or *Setup 1.3 or 2.0* or whatever needed.

Pretty easy

I haven't been posting over there but found your post (assuming you're rominator).  The 15" MBP doesn't appear to have the same arrangement for the camera.  I can disable the camera, but it doesn't give me the option to disable any of the USB type items above it in the hierarchy.

I tried disabling camera directly, then the 980ti, but upon reboot, the issue is still there.

For some reason I'm getting an error trying to attach the screenshot, so linked:

http://imgur.com/a/IsAJz

Question: These workarounds look complicated but doable. However, will stuff keep breaking as new OS's and software updates keep coming out?

It seems worth it to go through the trouble to set an eGPU up once, but having to repeatedly do them would be very stressing.

Try disabling and then enabling the bridges above the 980Ti.

If that doesn't do it, it's DSDT edit time. The good news is that at least one person has made DSDT work on 15", so it can be done.

What's going to be interesting is how next few weeks play out for Bison Box 3. They've made a great deal of promises for their $650 product that now appear very hard to keep. And if they're using the Akitio internals again, it will likely show up as such in System Profiler. Going to be hard to explain why their's is $650 when Akitio sells an equally flawed product for $300 that includes power supply. (which also won't work well)

Right now VERY FEW cards work over TB3 in OS X. Hopefully they've sold lots of them, the flood of chargebacks will teach them a rather painful lesson.

The issues with TB3 will doubtlessly get figured out. But not in next 2 weeks. And not by people who had to crib from goalque's cribbed work.(collection of hacks found here and elsewhere) Someone needs to find the ACTUAL fix first before people can start looking over other's shoulder to 'discover' it into a script.

But for now, there has been pretty good luck getting current Nvidia cards working on TB3 with 2016 MBP of all 3 models. The method I outlined for Non-Touch bar is easiest, but DSDT has been shown to work. AMD cards are a little trickier but I have no doubt they will be figured out shortly. 

The hack found by kid2010 at Netkas that enables TB3 is first step for OS X. But more are needed. Apple isn't going to make it easy.

OSX is a whole other can'o'worms. Apple has erected more than one barrier.

Edited by MVC
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/22/2016 at 11:22 AM, euqlaog said:

@theitsage

Means an immediate license change to my script:

“No one is allowed to modify Apple’s copyrighted binary files.”

This is a curious position for you to take.

For 18 months you have promotoed a script that does NOTHING BUT modify copyrighted Apple files.

(i.e., you didn't write a kext or a driver)

It literally makes modified copy of Apple System Files and replaces the real Apple ones.

Same deal here. And it lets all the TB3 stuff that doesn't work, "just work".

I can confirm that the USB3 on the back of my Razer Core fired up as soon as I applied the hack.

I was also able to use a GTX780 6GB with full eGPU support in OS X and Windows once I ran the hack. A "win-win"

Edited by MVC

16 hours ago, RB.mac said:

I have a maxed 13" w/TB, razer core, 980ti:
BF1 @ 2880x1800, ultra settings, 54fps average (internal screen, no external connected)

@ 1920x1200, 87fps

I think CPU won't be your bottleneck for just about anything these days.

I also have a 15" w/ 460 that i'm trying to get to work the same way.  Need to try the various error 12 resolutions but DSDT fix or refit startup script seem fairly involved, and I consider myself reasonably savvy...  will see how it goes.

Using the dGPU 460:

BF1 @ 2880x1800, ultra settings, 22fps

@ 1920x1200, 31fps

Damn that some very nice performance for the 13" TB. Still hesitating between a maxed out 13" or a 15" with Radeon Pro 460...

Edited by JackRoe

8 hours ago, JackRoe said:

Damn that some very nice performance for the 13" TB. Still hesitating between a maxed out 13" or a 15" with Radeon Pro 460...

13" with eGPU is the best solution imho. Light to carry, powerful at home/office thanks to eGPU...

hoping some geniuses here manage to let these beasts to work with a TB3 enclosure

Edited by ikir
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ikir said:

@MVC

What solution already work?

Akitio  Thunder2 + TB3 TB2 adapter with Nvidia GTX 6xx or 7xx ?

I can only speak with 100% certainty for Non-Touchbar 2016 MBP as that is what I have.

Right now you can use TB3 enclosure if you run the script posted at Netkas and elsewhere.

In the TB3 enclosure you can use Kepler GPUs with little trouble in OS X. 

You can also use TB2 enclosure (with out TB3 script) if you have a TB3 to TB2 adapter, but still only Kepler cards work OOTB.

If you use a cMP Mac EFI flashed Kepler card it will likely be limited to PCIE 2.0. A PC version should run at PCIE 3.0 in a TB3 enclosure.

The same is possibly true for the other 2016 MBP with touchbar, but I can't say for certain.

Edited by MVC
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, MVC said:

I can only speak with 100% certainty for Non-Touchbar 2016 MBP as that is what I have.

Right now you can use TB3 enclosure if you run the script posted at Netkas and elsewhere.

You can also use TB2 enclosure (with out TB3 script) if you have a TB3 to TB2 adapter, but still only Kepler cards work OOTB.

If you use a cMP Mac EFI flashed Kepler card it will likely be limited to PCIE 2.0. A PC version should run at PCIE 3.0 in a TB3 enclosure.

The same is possibly true for the other 2016 MBP with touchbar, but I can't say for certain.

Any Kepler card? 690? Thanks!

30 minutes ago, MVC said:

Any Kepler card? 690? Thanks!

1 hour ago, MacGamer said:

Can confirm Razer score works on AMD MacBooks on the internal display! Currently getting 45fps+ on Black Ops 3 with everything maxed out. 

Nicely done getting internal display working!  I'm guessing you used rEFInd in some way?  It may be worth he hassle of reinstalling windows (I think that's required?).

I only did DSDT, which got rid of error 12 and allowed external display to work.