OFFICIAL: Alienware M15x Owners Lounge

Brian

I bought my M15X back in December 2009 and it's still going strong. Only issues I've had were an arrow key breaking (which Dell replaced under warranty) and the little rubber pads that the screen rests on when the lid is closed popping out. These glue back in pretty easy tho.

Had no issues since then, it's a really well built, sturdy laptop.

• 3 months later...

i just got mine reballed the other day i dont even know if he reballed it or not but he gave me 2 months warranty, i pad for like $90 is my 260m suppose to go 95c while playing my ac is turned on and it still gets hot or should i buy a new gpu

• 2 months later...

It is a Dell 240W FWCRC with its middle pin intact. Most of the time it won't get recognized by the BIOS. Same behavior in my AW17 as well. Showing up as unknown whereas it should show as a 240W. I found a picture on T|I that shows 240W in a M15x if connected to a 240W adapter. I wonder if it is totally dead or just the ID chip that is acting up.

• 3 weeks later...
It is a Dell 240W FWCRC with its middle pin intact. Most of the time it won't get recognized by the BIOS. Same behavior in my AW17 as well. Showing up as unknown whereas it should show as a 240W. I found a picture on T|I that shows 240W in a M15x if connected to a 240W adapter. I wonder if it is totally dead or just the ID chip that is acting up.

Yeah, that happens. The definite cause is beyond anyone. Some people seem to solve it by pulling the middle pin, for others that doesn't fix it.

I personally had this issue with my original 150 PSU and I continued to have it with my 240 PSU which makes me believe in my case it is not the PSU that is acting up.

I've resigned to simply pressing the F1 prompt every time I boot up, because it takes less time to do that 1-second long action over the remaining lifetime of your computer than it does trying to find a solution to the issue. I guess it all depends on how much it annoys you.

• 3 weeks later...

i need help ... i have an alienware m15x with an gtx 660m and the the driver for this card says to me : "the driver is not compatibly to your windows version" and the card is not an gtx 660m in the manager from windows 7 its an standart-vga card. can any member please help me ??

• 2 months later...

hello everyone i'm new and just upgraded my m15x to the amd 6970m

i have a question with the 150w adapter bf4 fps would dip to 33fps on lowest settings and it would stutter alot after playing about 10-15min.

so i turned up the mem. clock to a 1000 and put a 240w psu now the game runs between 92-52 fps and seems like the stutter is minamil

do you guys think will be fine or do i need to pull down the mem. clock

thanks any help is appreciated

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

is there still anyone having M15x? i get mine about month ago.. purchase price was awesome 100€ :D

edit. is there anyone in EU having gpu cards on this thing to sale? now it has useless 5870 and looking better one.. laptop is girlfriends FB machine now.

Edited by jps67

• 3 months later...

hello all, been awol a while from forums in general, joined this one with my $60 usd m17x (needed a new gpu) and you all helped me on upgrading that, now i have a new $100 m15x, not to bad, nebula red, i5 540, 4 gigs ram, all stock aside from the upgraded 250gb ssd it came with, 150 psu. looking into upgrading this one to the 740xm and leaning towards a r9 290 gpu, it has the 5850 gpu in it now, only game i really play now a days is FFxiv which the 58 handles quite well at 720 >_< lol.

tried to upgrade to 16gb's but it really doesnt like my corsair vengence 16gb kit that i had to sneak out the m17x (the wife has laid claim to it hence im on the 15) any of you guys that have got this working if you can link me to what rams worked for you or if theres a thread keeping track of this please link me there.

PoeticRuins

• 5 months later...

hi guys, just ordered a new m15 x R4 config as follow

8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1070 OC with 8GB GDDR5
Black
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz IPS Display NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
1TB 7200RPM HDD
512GB PCIe M.2 Class 50 SSD
240W Power Adapter
US Power Cord
System Software
Lithium Ion (99 Wh) Battery

it should be enough to play current games and get back on BF4, I am skipping BF V for the obvious reason. so please let me know what are your thoughts about this config

• 3 years later...