eGPU for PC - Akitio Thunder2 or 3?

Imagios

Hi,

I'm looking for a nice small companion to my NUC, (as well to get a little of his load to make him hopefully more quiet)

I have 2 options Akitio tunder2 and since I'm on PC that means with and thunderbolt 2/3 adapter

or Akitio thunder3 which is pure PC. (sure there are more options but I would like to stick with the common ones)

Now there are two reasons for this topic, first of all the Akitio thunder2 is cheaper, as well in my area I can buy only the thunder2, would need to import the thunder3, and the second reason is, what is the real difference? I mean I know they are thunderbolt 2 vs. Thunderbolt 3, but in performance, how much do they really vary?

Anyone benchmarked both with the same settings?

Hi,

which NUC model is yours?

Thunderbolt 3 is way more powerful than the previous thunderbolt 2. 20GB/s of bandwidth with thunderbolt 2 vs 40GB/s thunderbolt 3. Thunderbolt 3 performs at PCIe x4 Gen 3.0 beating thunderbolt 2 at PCIe x4 Gen 2.0. This is a really big difference for games. I’d go with the thunder3 (IF your NUC supports it) as it will only be a bit more than the Aktitio Thunder2. It is really worth it. Importing really is fast, i got my Rocketstor delivered from USA in about 4 days. So importing is no issue, unless you are not prepared to spend the extra for shipping. I do recommend the thunder 3. I’d say from what i have read, there is no big difference in major fps gains between PCIe Gen 2 and 3. So its all cool. It mostly comes down to horsepower of GPU. Not the PCIe get 2/3 difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, you will be very impressed with performance with the i7 6770HQ CPU, and (if you get) eGPU combo. I will recommend that you team that CPU up with a GTX 1060 or better for such damn good results, in the latest blockbusters. No kidding you will definitely get 1440p performance in games like Battlefield 1.

Like i said, definitely get an Akitio Thunder3 as you will harness the powerful bandwidth that thunderbolt 3 has to offer.

He's speaking of macOS, where you usually speak of kernel issues, as he mentioned the Mac environment a few seconds before and mentions it as well around minute two. Linux of course has kernel issues as well but regarding Windows the thing people usual see is the bluescreen with the error code that lead to it.

Also in the comments of the video he links that -> https://www.akitio.com/blog/articles/akitio-thunderbolt3-devices-macbook-pro

As you're using Windows you're fine.

Good, ordered my Thunder3 today, had to do if from Germany as no one is selling those in my area, hope it will be  fine, will not be able to test it soon, missing the GPU and it will take me a while till I get one. But will let you know. Rally hope it will work.

So and I did order the Thunder3 PCI, not the eGPU from Akitio, its just too big for my itx GPU that I'm looking for, the cables to the dell power brick are custom made by a member here in the forum, so as soon as I get the pieces will share some pictures here :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Small update, while I'm waiting for the GPU, I just made my first object in 123D, watched yesterday a tutorial and made today a new case for the Thunder 3, the idea is to print it readjust until it fits, will take me a while as I dont yet a 3D printer, any way, here is the draft.

(it will need several prints till it will be ready since it will shrink and I dont know by how much, not sure how the bracing and perforated writing really will help with thermal issues) 

Case1.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.