GTX 980M on P157SM shuts down laptop

Alibi

Hello,  

I recently tried to overwrite my stock BIOS with the V2 PremaMod BIOS for my Clevo GTX 980M and the latest NVIDIA drivers( 373.06). Everything worked great until I enter a game, after about 1-2 minutes the laptop shuts down and the LED located on the power supply also turns off. My laptop is a Eurocom X3 ( P157SM) which originally came with a GTX 780M and I still use the 180W Power Supply from them, could this be the problem?

I didn't try to overclock anything because I know 180w is simply not enough. If I use the stock BIOS again, everything works back again.

Prema's mod raises the power limit and the 980m can draw much more power. It will depend on the game, but power supply can definitely be an issue especially if you have an mx CPU.

In short, your 180W PSU is too weak. Either don't run Prema mod or get a stronger PSU, which unfortunately requires the PSU cable to be switched.

• Thumbs Up 1