Dual EGPU Setup

CM

Hi 

I currently have an external gtx 970 running on the akitio powered by the dell 220, Thunderbolt to macbook pro. But I'm now considering a dual setup by buying a gtx980 ti and just have one power supply and hopefully a better case to house both cards running x2 thunderbolt cables to my macbook pro.  Does anyone have any experience of doing this? Thanks

A 15" MBP hosts it's dual-Thunderbolt ports controller down a single x4 2.0 link.  Adding a second card would increase processing power but if both cards are working at the same time then they share the x4 2.0 bandwidth.

Consider offloading the GTX970 and purchasing a GTX1080. That would then give you about 23% less processing power than the GTX970+980Ti all the while having exclusive access to the x4 2.0 bandwidth within a single AKiTiO enclosure.

• Thumbs Up 1

thanks, @Tech Inferno Fan @devild for the information, I might just update the single card at some point, but ill need cuda cores the most for GPU rendering so I will probably go with the gtx980 ti as it seems to have the most cores for the cost.