Dell Releases A05 Bios: Fixes AMD 6990M Cold Boot Bug.

Brian

• Founder
Dell has released an updated system bios for the M18x. The latest revision is A05 and it specifically addresses the overheating issue with 6990m video cards experienced during a "cold" boot (first boot). With this latest bios, the fans should spin up as the cards heat up and cool them down properly. Please use this thread to report your findings and experiences with A05.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2953[/ATTACH]

Release Date: 12/2/2011
Version: A05
Importance:
Download Type: BIOS
File Format: Hard-Drive
File Size: 3MB

Download Links
  • Dell Support Page: [URL]http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER00181378M/2/M18xR1_A05_W32_X64_ZPE.exe
  • [/URL]
  • Dell FTP direct download: [URL]ftp://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00181378M/2/M18xR1_A05_W32_X64_ZPE.exe
  • [/URL]
Edited by Brian
  • Thumbs Up 4

If you have downloaded for the M18x a previous bios that has been unlocked, I have inquired at the great bios-mods website about fabricating a similar version for this bios so as to incorporate the fix that the bios A05 provides. Hang tight thank you Tech Inferno.

well SVL7 has posted an unlocked a05 bios and i did post at bios mods so we will have to see if Svl7's works i am going to test shortly.... guys all day been trying to access bios mods to check on reply and its inaccessible anyone know why or if its the same for you guys? does anyone know if it is server maintenance or if there is some real issue?

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool!

I don't know why, but yes, Bios-Mods has been down for a while now...

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff474/marcwwaters86/temporary-1.jpg

a picture is worth a thousand words. :54_002: SVL7 is off the hook! Congrats young bios modder.

:78::40_002::Banane40: wowmisdoubt.gif83.gifdribble.gif:67::01::55_003:44_002.gif:02:06.gif:43_002::69::13_002:48_002.gif85.gifYour a genius SVL7.57.gif32_002.gifadore.gifBanane10.gif34_002.gif77.gif +rep

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Marco oles! Great stuff on unlocking the new system bios.

Nice readme file LOL!

Hey guys,

Any ideas on how to OC or adjust the Multipliers on a 2820QM CPU?

Does the Unlocked System BIOS A05 unlock the multipliers setting?

Any other ways to adjust the Multipliers?

Cheers. :)

Edited by chiefule
  • Thumbs Up 1

hey what's going on big chief! sorry you won't be able to adjust your multi with a non-xm. but you can adjust your power limit to help maintain your max multi for an indefinite amount of time. you'll see some gains but nothing major like with an xm chip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Marco oles! Great stuff on unlocking the new system bios.

Nice readme file LOL!

Hey guys,

Any ideas on how to OC or adjust the Multipliers on a 2820QM CPU?

Does the Unlocked System BIOS A05 unlock the multipliers setting?

Any other ways to adjust the Multipliers?

Cheers. :)

Sup Chief, what happened to your ES CPU with unlocked multis?

The 2820QM got the multiplier locked, hardware-wise, no way to get this removed.

• 2 weeks later...

@chiefule Yeah exactly whats been said best bet is to raise the amps and watts way up it should maintain full 8thread turbo in most other than prime 95 / Linx/IBT

you want Primary Plane (amperage value) which is divisible by 8 to equal 1 watt... so stock is 97amps or 776 primary plane in the unlocked bios... or 0 if primary plane is 0 its equal to 776 or 97 amps also since 0 uses the fused value. So 168 amps and 168 watts is enough for 4.8-4.9 8thread wprime... so that should indicate you would never need that many amps... so try going any-wheres from 98-120 amps i suggest 108-112 to start and see from there. Now As amps are raised whatever the watt limit is you can see watt readings showing higher watts at peaks than when amps are set lower. So 99watt @ 97amp may show split second peaks around 105-108 watt but mostly stay close to mid and upper 90's... but leaving 99watts and going to how bout 108amp you will see 99watts more consistently and see higher peaks and they can last longer. So if you follow Widezu's method (http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html) of setting 99watts long limit on non-xm and use unlocked bios to raise amps that will be the overclocking you are looking for on that chip. Now once you have the 99watts long-term limit... and for now 108-112 amps set or (864-896 primary plane) test to be sure you aren't getting bsod under stress if its perhaps one ending in 000124 or 0000101 these are common for too much or not enough voltage.... in this case not enough so lower the amps by one amp or 8 primary plane till the system becomes stable with the 99 watt limit but maintains you turbo speeds almost indefinitely.... mention me if you have more concerns...

I have a few of those links in my SIG.

• 1 month later...

Could Somebody help because I still getting this issue on a cold boot, even get 8 beeps most of the time.

Configuration:

2760QM @3.4ghz

Ram 4gb 1333mhz stock

320 HDD Seagate stock

Dual 6990m CfireX

Big foot killer Wireless.

Upgrades:

SSD Corsair Force GT 120GB

Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 4gb (x2)

Could Somebody help because I still getting this issue on a cold boot, even get 8 beeps most of the time.

Configuration:

2760QM @3.4ghz

Ram 4gb 1333mhz stock

320 HDD Seagate stock

Dual 6990m CfireX

Big foot killer Wireless.

Upgrades:

SSD Corsair Force GT 120GB

Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 4gb (x2)

perhaps you should inquire that to Dell as i had similar issues and needed parts replaced. 8 beeps specifically just means a communication problem with the LCD but broken gpu or motherboard can effect that too... this bios fix only adjusts fans programming... you need to speak to Dell if you get no boot and 8 beeps ever...