Installed 780M, cant install driver, computer reboots during install

poboy975

Just like the title says, I cant get the driver to install. I'm on Windows 10 x64 release 160906. The card works in 1920 x 1080 with the windows vga drivers. I've disabled driver signing, I'm in test mode. I've tried the nvidia driver versions, 365.19, 372.54, 372.70, 372.90. With modded inf's for each from laptopvideo2go.com They all start the install, but when it gets to the driver install, the screen goes black for about 30 seconds, then the computer just reboots. The drivers don't get installed. I've seen a bunch of threads around about Windows 8, but nothing that seems to answer for windows 10. Is there something that I'm missing to get the drivers installed?

Update, found this thread. 

I got the drivers installed following the directions, but after rebooting back into normal mode, the computer just reboots. I see the windows logo, screen goes black, then after about 30 seconds, it just reboots. This was using the 372.90 and inf files from the thread.

Edited by poboy975

So, another update. I've been able to get a couple of drivers to install and work for a few minutes. Once on Windows 10, and once on Windows 8.1 (I downgraded to see if Windows 10 was the problem). After getting the drivers to install, the computer froze after a few minutes, and got a driver kernal recovered, but wouldn't work after that. Windows 10 got the 372.90 driver installed once, and Windows 8.1 got the 369.05 installed once. I've flashed the vbios from here for the 780m. Still wont install. 

I put thermal paste on the card when I installed it, but I'm wondering if the paste isn't working. Could the gpu getting hot make the install fail? Or crash afterwards? Works just fine on the windows basic driver.

So, I managed to get a driver installed Eurocom http://downloads.eurocom.com/support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware/ it was the 

It installed, and actually ran. for a bit anyway. The screen would not hold a high resolution. I could set it. Then after a few seconds the screen would go black, and it would reset to low res. After a little while, computer became unresponsive. 

I have contacted the seller to see about exchanging the card for a different one.

If I instead upgraded my motherboard to an M17x R4, would the 780m card work with less problems? Or should I return the card and try a different one. I don't want to spend the money on a motherboard if it isn't going to work.

A M17x R4 just needs the latest official bios and modded drivers to run with a 780M.

I had no problems to get these combo working. At this time i used the 60Hz Display and upgraded later to an 120Hz.

Edited by Zoldago

Ok, another question then, should I return the original card? I've got the option to return it, get a second 780m, then later upgrade to an r4....I hate to get the r4, to then find that there is actually something wrong with the 780m I originally got.

Before i got the R4 i used the 780M in a R3 and never had any problems.

I only installed a modded bios, made the bios settings and used a modded driver and everythings works fine.

So if you still have the option to return and get another 780M i think you should give it a try.