US$300 AKiTiO Node TB3 eGFX box (32Gbps-TB3)

rene_canlas

15 hours ago, bloodhawk said:

At work bruh!! 

Please save a VOD if you can.

Sorry couldn't! Was having problems with the streaming software.

The points we went over though were:

• Dimensions are a bit bigger than Razer Core to allow GPUs with more RAM to fit, such as the MSI GTX 1080 8G (which does not fit in a Razer Core.)
  • we're working on EU stock.
  • price we're looking at under 300.
  • Thumbs Up 5

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to US$300 AKiTiO Node TB3 eGFX box (32Gbps-TB3)
2 hours ago, DanKnight said:

• Dimensions are a bit bigger than Razer Core to allow GPUs with more RAM to fit, such as the MSI GTX 1080 8G (which does not fit in a Razer Core.)

Wow @DanKnight, that's great news, can't wait to see benchmark results.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2016 at 0:34 PM, DanKnight said:

Under 300? That's instabuy territory for me!

EDIT: Any ETAs on when they are coming out? Or are they already available?

Edited by Mark

Webpage updated, no USB for mouse / keyboard :(

Hopefully the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C cable will longer than 0.5m as I would prefer to put it under the desk to save space (1.5m please ?).

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node

I do hope availability will the same as the last Apple (the very same day :) )

I really want to try it on my XPS13 with my "old" GTX770 but wonder what "soon" mean ...

Edited by menpasav
missing info

1 hour ago, menpasav said:

Webpage updated, no USB for mouse / keyboard :(

Hopefully the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C cable will longer than 0.5m as I would prefer to put it under the desk to save space (1.5m please ?).

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node

I do hope availability will the same as the last Apple (the very same day :) )

I really want to try it on my XPS13 with my "old" GTX770 but wonder what "soon" mean ...

Actually if they removed ports for better speed connection and to cut costs, I'm happy with that :)

For the cable, I think it's relative to the speed of the TB3 connection once again, shorter the cable is, better the speed will be.

1 hour ago, biomangb said:

Actually if they removed ports for better speed connection and to cut costs, I'm happy with that :)

For the cable, I think it's relative to the speed of the TB3 connection once again, shorter the cable is, better the speed will be.

I understand for heavy bandwidth connection like HDD/SSD data transfer but mouse and keyboard over USB should not be to hard on performance (just a guess).

As for the length of the cable, up to 2 meters it is a matter of build quality --> correction by myself : true only if the cable is active so maybe they are using passive cables which I hope not as passive cables are certified only up to 20Gb/s not the full 40Gb/s.

A good active cable should be able to cope with the full perf. even if 1 or 1.5m

http://www.intelfreepress.com/news/thunderbolt-3-usb-type-c-40-gbps/9835/

Edited by menpasav
correction on cable performance vs length
  • Thumbs Up 1

Will  you guys be testing this on the new Macbook Pro? I am thinking it is a better option than the Razer Core not just because of price, but as I believe you will provide better support as the Core is obviously designed specifically for the Blades regardless of whether they say it is not system specific or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 30/10/2016 at 6:36 AM, The Pfhor said:

Will  you guys be testing this on the new Macbook Pro? I am thinking it is a better option than the Razer Core not just because of price, but as I believe you will provide better support as the Core is obviously designed specifically for the Blades regardless of whether they say it is not system specific or not.

From the specifications listed here, it looks like Macs (or at least OSX) are not supported.

You might have luck with Windows in boot camp, although your Thunderbolt controller/firmware will still need to support external graphics cards. No idea if this is a thing on Mac hardware. Maybe @DanKnight can answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Lou-X said:

Yes please. I'm interested too in compatibility of this with new tb3 mbp. Of course in bootcamp

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI GRA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Rookie said:

From the specifications listed here, it looks like Macs (or at least OSX) are not supported.

You might have luck with Windows in boot camp, although your Thunderbolt controller/firmware will still need to support external graphics cards. No idea if this is a thing on Mac hardware. Maybe @DanKnight can answer.

On 10/29/2016 at 11:36 PM, The Pfhor said:

We were able to get our hands on the new MBP for a limited amount of time. Still waiting on our order to arrive. In the amount of time we were able to test it, we got a good connection with macOS Sierra. We connected the Razer Core and got an "Unsupported Device". That's all we were able to do for now. More info to come later when we get the higher-end models in the lab.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, DanKnight said:

We were able to get our hands on the new MBP for a limited amount of time. Still waiting on our order to arrive. In the amount of time we were able to test it, we got a good connection with macOS Sierra. We connected the Razer Core and got an "Unsupported Device". That's all we were able to do for now. More info to come later when we get the higher-end models in the lab.

Hi! Does Node support previous generations of macbook pro?

I mean, can i use tb2 to tb3 adapter?

I have mbp 2015 13" now. Want to buy Node in future. But new macbook only in plans. Maybe i will wait new gen with 32gb memory on board.

Edited by rozhkov
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, DanKnight said:

Great news again @DanKnight. Did you test it with f-keys pro '16? Can it send video signal back to internal mac lcd? Did you use amd or nvidia?

2 hours ago, rozhkov said:

I have mbp 2015 13" now. Want to buy Node in future. But new macbook only in plans. Maybe i will wait new gen with 32gb memory on board.

My guess is not. Have you ever seen tb2 to tb3 adapter? Cause apple released tb3 to tb2, not vice versa.

4 hours ago, rozhkov said:

I'm wondering the same thing. I want to leave console gaming and get into PC gaming, but my 2011 McBook Pro and it's AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512 MB of VRAM really struggles with anything released post 2012 and flat out can't play most games from the last 2 years, so I've mostly been playing older games that I never bought for my Xbox 360.

I thought I was going to have to build a PC, but if I can buy a $300 box and throw a GPU in there I will gladly do that instead. I was a little worried about the 10 Gb/s Thunderbolt 1 port being a big bottleneck compared to Thunderbolt 2 or 3, but after looking at online results from egpus on other Thunderbolt 1 Macs it seems to work a lot better than I would've thought.

Edited by JimboSlice
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ness said:

My guess is not. Have you ever seen tb2 to tb3 adapter? Cause apple released tb3 to tb2, not vice versa.

Actually, Apple's store page for the adapter says that it is bidirectional for Macs as long as the computer is running Sierra. I'm hoping it works that way in Windows 10 as well, as I do most of my gaming on my Bootcamp partition, and it would really limit the number of games I could use the Node for if it only works for me on MacOS.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, rozhkov said:

9 hours ago, Ness said:

Great news again @DanKnight. Did you test it with f-keys pro '16? Can it send video signal back to internal mac lcd? Did you use amd or nvidia?

8 hours ago, JimboSlice said:

I'm wondering the same thing. I want to leave console gaming and get into PC gaming, but my 2011 McBook Pro and it's AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512 MB of VRAM really struggles with anything released post 2012 and flat out can't play most games from the last 2 years, so I've mostly been playing older games that I never bought for my Xbox 360.

I thought I was going to have to build a PC, but if I can buy a $300 box and throw a GPU in there I will gladly do that instead. I was a little worried about the 10 Gb/s Thunderbolt 1 port being a big bottleneck compared to Thunderbolt 2 or 3, but after looking at online results from egpus on other Thunderbolt 1 Macs it seems to work a lot better than I would've thought.

7 hours ago, JimboSlice said:

Actually, Apple's store page for the adapter says that it is bidirectional for Macs as long as the computer is running Sierra. I'm hoping it works that way in Windows 10 as well, as I do most of my gaming on my Bootcamp partition, and it would really limit the number of games I could use the Node for if it only works for me on MacOS.

3 hours ago, rozhkov said:

And... What about plug and play for Apple ? (like Razer Core for Blades)

We still haven't received our MBPs yet nor the adapter. Still waiting waiting waiting waiting. :(

EDIT// Looks like it may be a week or more till we get our new toys. :( Crying right now.

Edited by DanKnight
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, rwssoccer1 said:

Looks like the node was taken out of the compatible list for the new macbook...

https://www.akitio.com/blog/articles/akitio-thunderbolt3-devices-macbook-pro

What a bummer. Hopefully this is only temporary. I am very curious to find out if the new apple adapter will allow the Node to be used on my 2014 MBP with TB2. I have seen many people get an eGPU setup with the TB2 MacBooks. The reason why I would like this is because I am not ready to upgrade my 15 inch MBP. I also don't want to put money into a TB2 DIY eGPU setup. I would like to have the Akitio Node - use it with my current MacBook - and have it for my future MacBook Pro 2017 or later.

7 minutes ago, HLJman said:

What a bummer. Hopefully this is only temporary. I am very curious to find out if the new apple adapter will allow the Node to be used on my 2014 MBP with TB2. I have seen many people get an eGPU setup with the TB2 MacBooks. The reason why I would like this is because I am not ready to upgrade my 15 inch MBP. I also don't want to put money into a TB2 DIY eGPU setup. I would like to have the Akitio Node - use it with my current MacBook - and have it for my future MacBook Pro 2017 or later.

Considering the potential rumors about lower prices and higher capacity RAM, your plan is a really good idea. From some quick reading it sounds as if thunderbolt 2 is backward compatible with thunderbolt 3 so it might work but you will prob see lower performance until you get the new laptop. 

Edited by rwssoccer1

6 hours ago, rwssoccer1 said:

Considering the potential rumors about lower prices and higher capacity RAM, your plan is a really good idea. From some quick reading it sounds as if thunderbolt 2 is backward compatible with thunderbolt 3 so it might work but you will prob see lower performance until you get the new laptop

Right. The performance hit is something I am more than willing to take while I wait for the perfect MacBook Pro. Hopefully the wait is not too long!

Edited by HLJman

On 10/29/2016 at 8:59 AM, menpasav said:

I understand for heavy bandwidth connection like HDD/SSD data transfer but mouse and keyboard over USB should not be to hard on performance (just a guess).

As for the length of the cable, up to 2 meters it is a matter of build quality --> correction by myself : true only if the cable is active so maybe they are using passive cables which I hope not as passive cables are certified only up to 20Gb/s not the full 40Gb/s.

A good active cable should be able to cope with the full perf. even if 1 or 1.5m

http://www.intelfreepress.com/news/thunderbolt-3-usb-type-c-40-gbps/9835/

There are no active cables available in the market right now. 

And no, if the length is 50cm or less the speeds are 40gbps over a passive cable. Anything over and they drop dramatically. That's is why longer cables are only rated for 20gbps.

Edited by bloodhawk
  • Thumbs Up 1