Samseed

While searching for the solution to my various problems I began wondering if there were any other motherboards that will fit into my gt70 case (or any another msi case for that matter)

What are the physical differences between the various models of msi motherboards and how many are swappable/compatible?

Is an msi Frankenstein possible?

it's not just motherboard. HDD boards are different, GT70 has DisplayPort where eSATA used to be, etc.

We discussed this in the past, there are some other components you will need to get to make this "frankenstein". Pictures included in the post.
Perhaps some case modifications will be necessary too. But if you are skilled enough, you could make it work.

If you do, don't forget to let us know. And perhaps add some pictures too. (Thunderbolt in the background and you screaming "It's alive !!! " )

;)

read more here:

and here:

I can see it now..the staticky hair, a wild look of satisfaction in my eyes..

But where to start that is the problem. Just finding images of anything after ms-1763 for comparison is a mind numbing task.

The GT72 board, although vastly different component wise, does maintain the same general shape. A few new "access ports" in the chassis and it might actually be functional but short of actually getting my hands on one its a little tough to plan a project like that and was hoping someone might have a list of similar or compatible boards. If only MSI had devoted an advertising budget to their mobile boards as well. :logik:

9 hours ago, Bugii said:

it's not just motherboard. HDD boards are different, GT70 has DisplayPort where eSATA used to be, etc.

We discussed this in the past, there are some other components you will need to get to make this "frankenstein". Pictures included in the post.
Perhaps some case modifications will be necessary too. But if you are skilled enough, you could make it work.

If you do, don't forget to let us know. And perhaps add some pictures too. (Thunderbolt in the background and you screaming "It's alive !!! " )

;)

read more here:

and here:

Yes,MS-1762 and MS-1763 are possible in MS-1761,but you need also another Touchpanel and new HHD Adapter.

The Touchpanelconnestor and HDD Connector from MS-1762 are different ,all other are the same.

The Connector from MS-1762 and MS-1763 are also different.

Hello

You

17 hours ago, Samseed said:

I can see it now..the staticky hair, a wild look of satisfaction in my eyes..

But where to start that is the problem. Just finding images of anything after ms-1763 for comparison is a mind numbing task.

The GT72 board, although vastly different component wise, does maintain the same general shape. A few new "access ports" in the chassis and it might actually be functional but short of actually getting my hands on one its a little tough to plan a project like that and was hoping someone might have a list of similar or compatible boards. If only MSI had devoted an advertising budget to their mobile boards as well. :logik:

Board can be obtained here. http://www.laptopinventory.com/ModelDetail.php/MSI/GT Series/GT72 2QE/Motherboards ~ System/36168

note, this was just a quick google search, I have no experience with that shop.

Yes, planning without having the board in hands is challenge.

You could try to find and buy damaged board for cheap - just to have something to try if it fits and then get the working one.

Question is, the board costs 450bucks. You can find completely working (although used/refurbished) GT72 on ebay for about 1000usd.

IMHO it would be much less of a risk to simply sell GT70 and buy used GT72 (assuming you have 450 for the board already) and you're done.

Or if your goal is not to have GT72 but to do this "frankenstein project" instead, you can buy used GT72 and simply sell the parts you don't use.

Please note, GT72 has "xxxxHQ" cpu. It's soldered to mobo, unlike the one you have in GT70 now.

Edited by Bugii

This is why I get so confused when thinking about this project. Both of these are listed as MS-17811 V 1.0  and they look nothing like the one you posted(bottom)

MSI-GT72-Disassembly-24-600x400.jpg

ms-17811-msi-motherboard-intel-sr1px-i7-

motherboard.JPG

This is my conundrum. Do I spend $400+ on the off chance the chassis can be modified or spend 1000+ for a used rig that I can play mad scientist with. Of course if I have a working 72 why bother right? 

The GT72 Board is not compatible for GT70,i have a damaged Board here.

Don`t think about this,this is impossible.

The Latest Version of GT70 is MS-1763.

And for this You need also both HDD Adapter,if You find this You must pay more than 400€ with CPU.

Then You can sell Your old MS-1761 and buy a used MS-1763,ist cheaper.

And the GT72 with i7-6700HQ and GTX 980M is  slower than my GT70 with i7-4900MQ and GTX 980M.

GT70:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11553413

GT72:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11586297

The GT70 is with the right Componenets a good Base and absolut Up to Date.

1 hour ago, Bloetschkopf said:

Nothing is impossible my friend :)

I saw a post here on T|I  of a guy who soldered desktop GTX980 core to a mobile PCB and got it working. Respect.

1 hour ago, Bloetschkopf said:

The GT72 Board is not compatible for GT70,i have a damaged Board here.

The Latest Version of GT70 is MS-1763.

And for this You need also both HDD Adapter,if You find this You must pay more than 400€ with CPU.

Then You can sell Your old MS-1761 and buy a used MS-1763,ist cheaper.

And the GT72 with i7-6700HQ and GTX 980M is  slower than my GT70 with i7-4900MQ and GTX 980M.

GT70:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11553413

GT72:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/11586297

The GT70 is with the right Componenets a good Base and absolut Up to Date.

Interesting results.

So yeah, it looks like the GT70 (1763) is better option.

Since GT72 does not support Pascal cards (yet) There's really no point of upgrading GT70 to GT72. Both of them can utilize GTX980M

(off topic. I found some ASUS GTX 1060 mxm cards. I'm buying one and I'll see if it will work in my GT70. I'll post the results once I have it)

1 hour ago, Samseed said:

and they look nothing like the one you posted(bottom)

Could be just a "wrong picture" - not the actual photo of the board. Better ask the seller first.

1 hour ago, Samseed said:

of course if I have a working 72 why bother right? 

yes, this is exactly the point. If you ONLY want an upgrade, just get GT70 motherboard - the one for 1763 version and stick 980M in it.

But some people don't care about getting better machine. They are doing this just to see if it is possible. - That's why bother ;) to be the first one to do it.

I bet the majority of those images are mislabeled somehow and the variety is simply stupendous. I dont know why they insist on changing there boards so drastically, every single iteration. 

Being limited by your hardware is no fun when you want a custom machine even if you are willing to remove the side panels :D.

In the end you can only ever take it so far.

21 hours ago, Bugii said:

Nothing is impossible my friend :)

I saw a post here on T|I  of a guy who soldered desktop GTX980 core to a mobile PCB and got it working. Respect.

Interesting results.

So yeah, it looks like the GT70 (1763) is better option.

Since GT72 does not support Pascal cards (yet) There's really no point of upgrading GT70 to GT72. Both of them can utilize GTX980M

(off topic. I found some ASUS GTX 1060 mxm cards. I'm buying one and I'll see if it will work in my GT70. I'll post the results once I have it)

Could be just a "wrong picture" - not the actual photo of the board. Better ask the seller first.

yes, this is exactly the point. If you ONLY want an upgrade, just get GT70 motherboard - the one for 1763 version and stick 980M in it.

But some people don't care about getting better machine. They are doing this just to see if it is possible. - That's why bother ;) to be the first one to do it.

Change a GPU Chip is easy with the right Tools,a little Risk yes.

But change a Board with complete different Layout is impossible,have a look at the Picture.

Where You bought the Asus GTX 1060?

Is it normal MXM 3.0 ?

21 hours ago, Bugii said:

IMG_1536.JPG

2 hours ago, Bloetschkopf said:

Change a GPU Chip is easy with the right Tools,a little Risk yes.

But change a Board with complete different Layout is impossible,have a look at the Picture.

Where You bought the Asus GTX 1060?

Is it normal MXM 3.0 ?

I see.
that would need a really heavy chassis modding. New board is longer so I guess you'd need to sacrifice one HDD and optical drive in order to cut a hole into chassis to stick this in. Custom made heatsink is also necessary.

GTX1060 MXM3.0b here:

https://world.taobao.com/item/538144341448.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.wm7MeZ#detail

Yes, standard MXM 3.0b - GTX 980M next to it for comparison.

I wanted 1070 but those cards are bigger, won't fit into my GT70 chassis, and they have additional power connector. This one looks compatible.

Edited by Bugii

46 minutes ago, Bugii said:

I see.
that would need a really heavy chassis modding. New board is longer so I guess you'd need to sacrifice one HDD and optical drive in order to cut a hole into chassis to stick this in. Custom made heatsink is also necessary.

GTX1060 MXM3.0b here:

https://world.taobao.com/item/538144341448.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.wm7MeZ#detail

Yes, standard MXM 3.0b - GTX 980M next to it for comparison.

I wanted 1070 but those cards are bigger, won't fit into my GT70 chassis, and they have additional power connector. This one looks compatible.

I know this Card,but this is a MSI Card.

maybe I'll buy them also , i will ask my Sister in Law there.

If the Card have G-Sync it will not work in GT70,i think it have G-Sync.

GTX980M G-Sync and Qudro M3000M also not working right in  GT70.

Driver Installing is no Problem,but 3Dmark11 runs ony with 8 Frames.

And in the mobil Nvidia Control Panel You can`t switch off G-Sync.

There is no Option for this.

Maybe it is possible with another Nvidia Control Panel with complete Menu.

How You bought it?

Maybe Your Way  is easier for me.

Edited by Bloetschkopf

After an evening of googling, would it be safe to assume that the the best we can hope for is an i7-3740qm, gtx98m, ms-17631 for the gt70 chassis? A bit disappointing considering the possibilities with the new architecture but should still be quite the performer.

This is looks promising but would you happen to have the codename for that card, I cant read it off the chip?

There is a nice thread going about the 1000 series  http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/upgrade-mxm-or-wait-for-new-1000-series-cards.792965/page-11

On 9/23/2016 at 10:37 PM, Bloetschkopf said:

I know this Card,but this is a MSI Card.

maybe I'll buy them also , i will ask my Sister in Law there.

If the Card have G-Sync it will not work in GT70,i think it have G-Sync.

GTX980M G-Sync and Qudro M3000M also not working right in  GT70.

Driver Installing is no Problem,but 3Dmark11 runs ony with 8 Frames.

And in the mobil Nvidia Control Panel You can`t switch off G-Sync.

There is no Option for this.

Maybe it is possible with another Nvidia Control Panel with complete Menu.

How You bought it?

Maybe Your Way  is easier for me.

Hmm they say asus in description. It doe snot have G-sync enabled. Neither does SLI bridge. And you need eDP not LVDS. That's what it says in description if I'm not mistaken.

On 9/24/2016 at 2:35 AM, Samseed said:

After an evening of googling, would it be safe to assume that the the best we can hope for is an i7-3740qm, gtx98m, ms-17631 for the gt70 chassis? A bit disappointing considering the possibilities with the new architecture but should still be quite the performer.

This is looks promising but would you happen to have the codename for that card, I cant read it off the chip?

There is a nice thread going about the 1000 series  http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/upgrade-mxm-or-wait-for-new-1000-series-cards.792965/page-11

i7-4xxxQM will also work.
Can't read the chip code from that picture. But that should be the same for all gtx 1060 chips. And yes, it looks like it's MSI PCB.

This has not been tested yet however. So far, 980M is the best confirmed GPU you can get.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 years later...